JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Blaylocke's Bada** Bug-Out-Bag Building Odyssey (As written by a poor slob)

Preface: Let my explain the purpose of this thread. This is not a how-to, more of a running diary as I build my BOB. I have learned more from the search function of this forum than I can even explain. But most of what I read is about people already having their BOB built. This will show how mine came to be. :p

So, I kicked around the idea of posting this in the "what did you do today to prep?" thread, but thought that might hijack it, plus I didn't really do this today:s0114:. Anyway, I am a college bound individual with limited assets. So when the SHTF, you'll find me in the woods with my cheap chinese knockoffs. As such, you wont be seeing the greatest BOB material you can buy. Only what was practical for my purposes. I read extensively, pinch pennies where I can and hem and haw over any real decision making, meaning that (most) of my BOB should be somewhat well thought out. That said, I have never done this before. I'm expecting my BOB brethren (you, dear reader) to help guide my actions, let me know when I've gone astray, and offer any hard earned advice you might have to give me.

It's a work in progress and I'll be updating this thread as I work to build it, until it's done.

The bag

Say hello to the LA Police Gear 3 day back pack.

2l6z.jpg

It can be found here:

LA Police Gear 3 Day Backpack

It's the OD Green version. I found it after numerous searches for "cheapest bug out backpack" (I told you I was on a budget). People had a lot of suggestions, but I kept coming back to this one. For 30 dollars ($40 shipped) I wasn't hoping for much. But when it arrived on my doorstep, I was very happy. The stitching is very solid, nothing about the bag feels cheap or poorly thought out. Here is a caveat: As my needs grow, I may outgrow this bag. The beauty of this bag is that, in the beginning, it will serve as my get-home-bag. As my kit grows, it will serve the purpose of Bug-out-bag.

And when I get enough stuff to need to upgrade? It will again be downgraded to a very effective get-home-bag.

6efx.jpg

My main gripe (although how much bubbleguming can you do on a $40 bag?) is that the waist belt is padless, and all of the buckles on the backpack are "meh". Not bad, just not anything great. Perfectly serviceable, is all.

It's 2590 cubic inches, so sayeth the website, and has three pouches.

Bottom:
xcws.jpg

Upper:

Main:

k75l.jpg
hvym.jpg

You will probably notice that organizing features are absent. It's true. It will hold a lot, but you'll be doing a dig.

Here is a hydration pocket/slit. I doubt I will be using it for that purpose, and it doesn't appear to have loops to hang the bladder. Therefor it would just sort of flop around in the bag. There are slits for the tube to come out of the pack, although they're not pictured. Can't speak much more about it, except that it will likely serve only as storage for me.
pph1.jpg

Straps for MOLLE gear:
Side:
qwfo.jpg
Bottom:
z209.jpg

I've loaded it with a bit over thirty pounds. It held up just fine. I am heading out for a tryout session here in a few weeks as soon as I am done getting the supplies I need and want.

The Shelter

g81p.jpg

ynmz.jpg

ALPS Mountaineering Backpacking Tents | REI Co-op

This post details my logic on buying this tent - Link

The Goodies

Beta version 1.0

So remember way long ago before a wall of words and pictures, where I said the pack started as a get-home-bag, and was built up? The evidence is in the picture to follow. It is not fully functional BOB yet. You will see items obviously meant for the GHB which have been folded into the BOB. You'll also notice that there is not sufficient food, or water, or shelter or...get the picture? I have recently made a series of purchases that seek to rectify this situation. However, those will be for another update. Here is the current iteration of the BOB that could.

1b2p.jpg

Ruger 10/22 (2 BX-25 Mags, standard 10 round mag, brick of ammo)
This is the rifle I'll be carrying around when the SHTF. While society may collapse, my BOB is more banking on ugliness if we experience the megaquake. As such, I'm more concerned with being able to go wabbit hunting with a big brick of ammo, or firehose some burgler trying to take my BOB goodies. This hit the fan.

Springfield XD9SC (2 hi-cap mags, one 10rnd mag, 100 rounds ammo)
This is my EDC pistol. Not much to say except that it will obviously be coming with me if things go bad.

Bandaid container with 50+ assorted bandages and tube of neosporin.
A pack of three of these containers was selling at Costco for $8 at the pharmacy. It comes with various bandages and 3 single use neosporin tubes. I supplimented this with another three pack of neosporin, one for each case, one in my BOB. If SHTF I don't want a paper cut to kill me.

Bic lighter
2x energy bars
Five hour energy
Large sterile cotton bandage.
One particle mask

I picked all of this up at Wallyworld. This was initially part of my get home bag. While I plan to suppliment the firestarting capabilities, a bic lighter is a pretty easy way to start. I plan on carrying two or three, but for now, it's the one.

100" 550 paracord

$6.99 at the hardware store. I probably could have gotten a better deal online, but I love the little guy. It's 7-strand, the good stuff.

SABRE Pepper Spray

Same as the paracord, I bought this at the hardware store here in town, Chehalis Sunbirds. It was also 6.99, a pretty good deal, compared to online. This is EDC for me, so it comes during SHTF scenarios.

Knife
Cabelas Multi Tool

I didn't shop for these, I had these laying around. They both serve obvious purposes, so they're self explanatory.

Immediate to do list:

Ruger 10/22 Sling
Test and add newly purchased items to pack.
Pull trigger on tent purchase
Pull trigger on sleeping bag purchase
Pull trigger on survival knife purchase.
Decide which of my flashlights to add.
Work on knot tying. Stop putting it off, me!

Kirk out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Decker!

bring a compass and some zip ties (they always come in handy)

I had a compass on a list somewhere. Any you recommend? Are the coghlan cheapies any good? And thanks for the Zip ties idea, I hadn't thought of that.

Unrelated question:

ALPS Mountaineering Edge 4 Tent - Special Buy - Free Shipping at REI-OUTLET.com

That's a 4 person tent at 6 pounds. Now I can take that solo, but fortunately if I have to bug out, it will be with family, so I could spread the weight. That said, can anyone do better than that lightweight four person tent for 160? It's a cost to size issue, for me. I could go down a pound or two by halving the size, but it wouldn't save me money. And a pound or two, when my pack wont be overloaded anyway; doesn't bother me.

That said, can anyone recommend something better for the cost and size?

Spend the extra money on a real compass. Silva and Suunto both make very good compasses that are in the $20-40 range. This may seem like a lot more than the coghlan compasses, however quality and speed are the difference. The real compasses settle much faster, and can be quite a bit more accurate, they are usually also painted with a better luminous paint (holds a glow longer). I had the silva trekker for awhile, it was a nice little compass personally I like compasses that have a azimuth shooting mirror. This allows you to hold the compass "flat" and look through it, and you can see the bearing to target in the mirror. I also have a silva ranger I bought many years ago, I usually use this with commercial 7.5 quads (maps) as they are scaled properly for these maps. I've also been using the military style maps (laid out in MGS) more frequently as a friend of mine is a cartographer who prints me custom maps, for these I use the standard military cammenga tritium compass. However, this compass is not so good for USGS 7.5's as you need to mentally rescale the map when plotting course or direction.

Spend the extra money on a real compass. Silva and Suunto both make very good compasses that are in the $20-40 range. This may seem like a lot more than the coghlan compasses, however quality and speed are the difference. The real compasses settle much faster, and can be quite a bit more accurate, they are usually also painted with a better luminous paint (holds a glow longer). I had the silva trekker for awhile, it was a nice little compass personally I like compasses that have a azimuth shooting mirror. This allows you to hold the compass "flat" and look through it, and you can see the bearing to target in the mirror. I also have a silva ranger I bought many years ago, I usually use this with commercial 7.5 quads (maps) as they are scaled properly for these maps. I've also been using the military style maps (laid out in MGS) more frequently as a friend of mine is a cartographer who prints me custom maps, for these I use the standard military cammenga tritium compass. However, this compass is not so good for USGS 7.5's as you need to mentally rescale the map when plotting course or direction.

Now that is compass knowledge. I figured coghlan sucked, as most of their stuff does. I just can't seem to find a real compass in my town. Cabelas in Olympia didn't even have them. Was hoping to hold one and get a look at it before I bought one. Online it is though! Thanks a ton.

Amazon had one of the silva trekker's for $19. Also, when buying new maps, I highly recommend learning how to use UTM format as many maps have this, and if you get a GPS, using UTM format allows you to "quickly" determine the distance between any two UTM points by simply using the pythagorean theorem, however most GPS's will also easily determine the distance to any point for you. Another thing that's coming up fairly soon is USNG (united states national grid) which is very similar to MGS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Grid

However, if you travel outside the US, most of your maps are going to be easier to use in UTM format.

Some other things I would recommend: Gatoraide powder, they are now selling these in pouches which is enough to make 32oz of fluid. If you look around they also have smaller ones, I personally like the smaller pouches as they don't make such a concentrated mixture, which I think taste better. This is also a good way to cover up the nasty flavors from water treatment pills or drops.

A stainless steel 32oz (1qt) water bottle is a good addition, as you now have a "known volume" for adding your water treatment pills or drops, also you can boil water in a stainless bottle if you take the plastic lid off. I usually find these at 99c stores, so check there before buying an expensive one.

A pair of small tweezers for removing ticks and splinters (trust me, nothing is worse than a splinter when you're roughing it), a good pair of sturdy work gloves will also help prevent slivers when moving through the brush, they will also help keep your hands warm (better than nothing right?). I prefer Mechanix Fast-Fit gloves.

For your medkit you should also add the most critical medicines: 1) Ibuprofen (advil) 2) loperamide (immodium) 3) diphenhydramine 4) loratadine 5) asprin. A headache is guaranteed if you're eating and consuming nothing but energy bars, also diphenhydramine can be used to help you go to sleep (it's benadryl). Loratadine is great if you have seasonal alergies. The other stuff should be obvious.

Add some Ziplock bags, high quality duct tape, a magnesium/ferro rod set and a film canister of cotton balls saturated with vaseline for tinder,add some ranger bands (wide rubber bands cut from bicycle inner tubes). Ranger bands also burn with great intensity as tinder, also, a small tube of hand sanitizer, both for its intended purpose and first aid, as well as tinder.

These are a few items i keep in my BOB. Pick what ya want, to each his own

-few heavy black trash bags - Cheap shelter, poncho, water collection, carrying gear/findings
-flathead screwdriver - prying stuff, screwdriving stuff, shank, makeshift car key in SHTF scenario. Etc.
-A picolo-pete firework - Signaling help, distraction, fire strarter, scaring away animals
-Definately a compass, as mentioned above
-spair WOOL socks - A must
- small metal pot - Cooking, water purification
-Life straw / Other water filtration device - can be had for around 20$ and will filter 100 or so gallons
-Gloves - no matter how cheap. protecting your hands is essential, a small cut or burn can be the end of the line
-Small altoids box size fishing kit & line
-Tarp
-Something to transport water in
-strong wire - Snaring small game, fixing stuff
- lock pick kit - can be had for 20$ on amazon, could prove very usefull in SHTF. or a good 12 gauge
- flashlight/headlamp

Just some food for thought! all of these have some uses and im sure you have some already in your bag.

Goodluck! and stay prepped my friend

Thanks for the thread. Please keep us in the loop as you go.

Unless I missed it, I didn't see a flashlight in there. I'd also add some water purification tablets and a decent multi-tool. If you are in urban or suburban terrain, I suggest a Silcock key.

Update

I've read all of the posts here, and have added a lot of good ideas into what I need in a pack. A couple of them I had already had on order. However, I'm going to sort of post updates as I add to my pack, and not necessarily in order of importance.

That said, shelter is pretty important. I was tempted to go the bivvy direction, if for no other reason that it's light weight and low profile. I also know there is value in using a tarp to get your shelter needs. As the rule of thumb says: Light weight, low cost, durability. You can usually only have two of the three. These were all considerations, but I personally, had a few important things to address.

I had to weigh the cost of what I was buying. I am going to school this fall and cannot spend all of my money on a bug out bag. It is important, and if something goes haywire, I'll likely wish I spent more for the things I bought. That said, the odds say that I wont need this bag, and I had to play them. I just have to hope the preparation I did do, will add up to something if something bad does happen.

I have my family. I live in close proximity to my folks, and my little brother. My little brother loves the idea of bug out bags and survival, but getting our folks to build their own bags is not going to happen outright. All I can do is insist on a few things that will make them more prepared in their home. That said, if I have to bug out, I will be taking my family. As such, the cost of shelter became multiplied. I'd need four bivvies, at about $150 minimum. That isn't practical for me.

As far as a tarp, while I may yet carry one, (likely will) relying on it for shelter would be a quick way to demoralize my family. Unfortunate as it is, my mother thinks bugs are icky and likely doesn't want to lay on the ground, or spend $150 on a good sleeping bag, etc.

So I came up with this as far as shelter;

ALPS Mountaineering Edge 4 Tent - Special Buy - Free Shipping at REI-OUTLET.com

Sgt Nambu pointed me in the direction of the REI online outlet store. I enjoy going INTO REI but can't buy anything there without feeling raped by prices. The outlet store is probably some widely known thing, but I didn't know about it's existence. After hours of sifting, reading reviews, looking for a better deal, I settled on that lightweight (for it's size) four person tent.

I continued looking around after I found it, hemming, hawing, expecting to stumble across a better deal as soon as I bought the tent. But I haven't found a better deal, and I heard nothing but good reviews for the tent.

So I pulled the trigger. It got here less than 24 hours after I bought it, even with free shipping. :s0155: That was a very happy surprise. It took about five minutes to set up once we figured it out, and I was very pleased with the results:

g81p.jpg

ynmz.jpg

Damn comfy and large, big enough for four if need be, and at about six pounds. We can divide the weight between two of us as well, making it easier to lug. But I don't feel this tent would be too much for my own purposes, if I bug out alone for some reason. It's much more space than I need solo, but the size means I wont have to tuck it away and not use it. It will have real purposes for me outside of just bugging out.

So I'm thrilled. Can't thank Sgt Nambu enough. Can't say enough good things about the outlet store. The wilderness wont know my tent is a model from two years ago, so it's all good. That's my update.

Super special bonus coverage!

kyn7.jpg

You can't read about survival or prepping, or anything of the sort without someone saying they have a P-38. So I splurged. It was a two pack, a P38 and a P58

Amazon.com: GI P38 & P51 Can Opener Combo Pack (Made in the USA): Sports & Outdoors

It cost me $1.45. Tried it out, it's not cheap metal. It's the real deal, and not some of the knockoffs you can find. I doubt many here need one (most probably have one) but if not, it's pretty great. I'm keeping the small one in the pack, leaving the small one for mom, since she goes through those plastic crap can openers at a pace of about one a month.

That's it. More packages should be coming soon, more updates!

^^^ Very nice! I have an Alps Mountainering backpack. It's quite heavy duty and well made. I think that you get a lot for your dollar at Alps. And at REI's outlet too!

Frankly I can't say a bad thing about REI, yea, they tend to be a bunch of granola crunching hippies when it comes to some topics, but I've had more of the employees ask questions and be genuinely interested when I say I'm looking for something to "take with me hunting" rather than casting dispersions about "murdering animals". As a consequence of this, and the fact that they almost always have what I'm looking for cheaper than cabellas or bass-pro I usually buy it there. I've bought so much stuff there I actually bought a membership card.

While I think a "full tent" is a bit overkill for a BOB, and is starting to cross the line into an INCH (I'm not coming home) bag, for the PNW it's a solid investment depending on how far away home is. I'm a little paranoid about putting tents in GHBs mostly due to weight, and the fact that once you're in a tent, you completely lose awareness of what's outside. This is why I prefer bivvy bags, or rain suits to sleep in, but the tent does provide a lot more shelter.

Also, I don't think I made mention of it earlier, but another "trick" you can use for "shelter" is to simply get a heavyweight PVC rainsuit, and wear it over heavy clothing. In all but sub-zero conditions this will keep you warm and provided you arn't sweating it will also keep you dry.

Looks like a very nice 3-season tent.

Frankly I can't say a bad thing about REI, yea, they tend to be a bunch of granola crunching hippies when it comes to some topics, but I've had more of the employees ask questions and be genuinely interested when I say I'm looking for something to "take with me hunting" rather than casting dispersions about "murdering animals". As a consequence of this, and the fact that they almost always have what I'm looking for cheaper than cabellas or bass-pro I usually buy it there. I've bought so much stuff there I actually bought a membership card.

While I think a "full tent" is a bit overkill for a BOB, and is starting to cross the line into an INCH (I'm not coming home) bag, for the PNW it's a solid investment depending on how far away home is. I'm a little paranoid about putting tents in GHBs mostly due to weight, and the fact that once you're in a tent, you completely lose awareness of what's outside. This is why I prefer bivvy bags, or rain suits to sleep in, but the tent does provide a lot more shelter.

Also, I don't think I made mention of it earlier, but another "trick" you can use for "shelter" is to simply get a heavyweight PVC rainsuit, and wear it over heavy clothing. In all but sub-zero conditions this will keep you warm and provided you arn't sweating it will also keep you dry.

You're right about REI, I'll take them all day over Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop prices, even outside the outlet store. The added weight is a bit, I admit, and visibility is zero once inside, but like I was thinking: there is every chance in the world that if I bug out, I bug out with my family. Mom is not a hardened outdoorsman and would not care for a tarp or poncho setup :p. and even when shtf, if my mother is happy, the rest of my family can be happy :s0114:.

All of this said, I plan on mounting the tent outside of my bag. I'll likely carry a tarp/emergency ponchos, etc. so if I have to bug out for a shirt time and it is completely unnecessary, I can just leave it behind.

i cant help but think your bob would be just fine in the original pic with the addition of some ramen noodles, beef jerky, a hatchet and a steal water. everything else is just a bit excessive. a light weight wok wouldnt be a terrible addition either but not really necessary.

im editing because i just noticed a mistake in my post. i didnt mean steal water, i meant to say steel water container. a gross typographical error. :s0114:

What did I do today. I cleaned out my storage unit from when I was living in Lewis County. It will save me almost $700 a year. While high grading through stuff I found a usable Swiss Army knife. One of the red plastic side was gone but I expect can find one on line and epoxy it to it. This find plus a boss returning another one he borrowed by accident gives me three! So one for my conceal vest I am goi g to get soon for a GHB, one for my current GHB lunch bag and one almost always in the pocket. Score my First Silva compass I bought from REI in the early 70s in the clean out as well. So now wife has my Suunto in her bob and I have the Silva.
I echo using the above brand names vs Coghlans stuff. Am going to do an ammo can bob for the car, then the Bob which is a 96 explorer I have big plans for including a home built aluminum and ext. plywood baggage carrier for the top of it. Needs to be light weight but I figure some hidden low profile 2-3 gallon gas cans, maybe extra clothes, full size shovel, etc. a tarp will cover it as well. Am going to look for cheap rims and a couple of decent used tires to finish it off. Yeah, it'll look pretty Rat Patrol like but it's form over function. I have to go slow since the wife bought it. She's not convinced shtf will be as bad as I am.
My next prep is a cheapo gun safe for an upstairs apt. Starting with an old school locker.

Brutus Out

I think you have to consider what the needs of individual are too. I think in the Pacific Northwest that a complete shelter of some type in a BOB is a requirement. If not a tent, you can get ag or construction grade plastics, 4 mil minimum, 6 better yet. Enough to set up a complete shelter for up to 2 people. Easy and fast to set up, duct tape and para cord. We cover our greenhouses with this and can keep it very survivable.

I think you have to consider what the needs of individual are too. I think in the Pacific Northwest that a complete shelter of some type in a BOB is a requirement. If not a tent, you can get ag or construction grade plastics, 4 mil minimum, 6 better yet. Enough to set up a complete shelter for up to 2 people. Easy and fast to set up, duct tape and para cord. We cover our greenhouses with this and can keep it very survivable.

yea i guess i didnt consider shelter too much. it may still be better if you were to get a surplus wool blanket though. you can use it as shelter material or wrap up in it in a make shift or natural shelter.

army surplus typically being the best of the budget blankets. if you spring for a great one, it could be the same one you use on your bed at home and never feel bad about it. just make sure it's 100% wool.

One of the most important things for health and hygiene everyday may sound odd... but you need to spend some time naked, this gives your skin (especially in your crotch and crack) a chance to dry out and repair itself. If you don't do this, fungal infections and other skin infections can take over and make your life miserable.

So from this perspective a tent is really a good idea. But a tent is not a durable and permanent structure, which means you need somewhere to go, not just "bug out" to the forest, where you will be cold, wet and hungry.

So from this perspective a tent is really a good idea. But a tent is not a durable and permanent structure, which means you need somewhere to go, not just "bug out" to the forest, where you will be cold, wet and hungry.

That is why I suggest the 4 mil or better plastic fashioned into a shelter. Outside of a nice elk tent, this is one of the best shelters you could use. I learned this over 40 years ago on a Civil Air Patrol survival training. It is not permanent by any means, but the type of materials is far superior to whatever the tent is made of, and the heat retention and water shedding abilities are way beyond a tent. Give me a bout 3 pieces of this stuff, total of about 400 square feet, some duct tape, para cord or wire and I will put together a structure that will roast your a** out on just body heat alone, in about 20 to 30 minutes. It is clear enough to see out of, you would have to consider shielding all lighting coming from it.

You could survive quite well in most urban / rural areas for quite a long time.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top