JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Records are being digitized and more than likely in a searchable database.

Has this already been addressed? I didn't see it here.

I've believed there has been a "database" as long as their has been computers. Even if there officially hasn't been one. The bigger question is what is the planned/coordinated response if they ever come to collect.

I've believed there has been a "database" as long as their has been computers. Even if there officially hasn't been one. The bigger question is what is the planned/coordinated response if they ever come to collect.

It will be handed to the IRS in order to make ownership extremely painful. I suspect it would be up to owners to prove if they did or did not have legal possession in accordance with our constitutional "right".

The article you linked to says they are being stored as images and are not searchable by name.

OCR - Optical character recognition. The process of converting images to searchable text. The government has the most powerful and advanced supercomputers at their disposal. I have zero doubt that every gun purchase I have made at a store or gunshow has been logged and tracked. Combine that with software to aggregate social media postings, search results, etc and I'd imagine they have a fairly thorough profile of nearly every citizen, not just gun owners. As someone that works with computers, I would not be shocked by any of this. My concerns are based on what they can do that I can't even envision being possible. Anything computer based is low hanging fruit though.

Since manufacturers, distributors and dealers have to keep detailed records, its not difficult for law enforcement to track down the last legal purchase of a particular firearm.

• Oregon law requires a background check for all transfers including those that take place at a gun show and between private citizens.
  • Records of the transactions are kept for five years.
If you believe the OSP deletes the records after five years, I have a bridge I would like to sell you!

OCR - Optical character recognition. The process of converting images to searchable text. The government has the most powerful and advanced supercomputers at their disposal. I have zero doubt that every gun purchase I have made at a store or gunshow has been logged and tracked. Combine that with software to aggregate social media postings, search results, etc and I'd imagine they have a fairly thorough profile of nearly every citizen, not just gun owners. As someone that works with computers, I would not be shocked by any of this. My concerns are based on what they can do that I can't even envision being possible. Anything computer based is low hanging fruit though.
If you've bought any guns in Oregon through the OSP background check, you're definitely in an Oregon database.

Since manufacturers, distributors and dealers have to keep detailed records, its not difficult for law enforcement to track down the last legal purchase of a particular firearm.
I used to get plenty of calls for gun trace when I sold at discount prices--seems like a lot of gang shooters bought from me through their girlfriends & that was almost 10 years ago.

Even back then the ATF was checking out my shop every year, taking all of my records out the door with them & returning them later in the day--I have no doubt they were scanning/uploading everything

The article states that "the government" actually reported that they were doing this. The fact that they are disclosing this is against federal law stating no registry will be created. Basically admitting that they are doing it anyway.

The article states that "the government" actually reported that they were doing this. The fact that they are disclosing this is against federal law stating no registry will be created. Basically admitting that they are doing it anyway.
Them disclosing is not against any law. Disclosure has nothing to do with whether or not they have created a de facto registry.

The authorization for the gov to receive records of kaput FFLs is in the same bill (FOPA) as the prohibition of a national registry. So there is a distinction between the two. Doesn't seem like anyone has successfully challenged that distinction since it has been around for decades....

"Instead of maintaining the right of [licensed firearm dealers] to destroy Firearm Transaction Records after 20 years, buried within Biden's proposed regulations is a provision that would mean every single Firearm Transaction Record going forward would eventually be sent to ATF's registry in West Virginia."

This is something we need to stop before it can happen or it will be very difficult to reverse.

"The Biden administration in just the past year alone stockpiled the records of more than 54 million U.S. gun owners and is poised to drastically alter gun regulations to ensure that information on Americans who own firearms ultimately ends up in the federal government's hands, according to internal Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) documents obtained by the Washington Free Beacon."

"The ATF in fiscal year 2021 processed 54.7 million out-of-business records, according to an internal ATF document obtained by the Gun Owners of America,
bold added.

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/484018/

GOA

"The ATF obtained 53.8 million paper records and another 887,000 electronic records, according to the internal document that outlines ATF actions in fiscal year 2021.
bold added.

And the only purpose of a list is to know who has what you ultimately plan to take.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top