JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You didnt mention budget, which is important when watch shopping. IMO i would leave the tech/gps to your phone. Reviewing your requirements, I would highly recommend a Hamilton Khaki Field watch. Strong military pedigree/history, well made, reliable, and you can dress them up or down. Throw a NATO strap on it and it looks more military/'tactical'. Switch it to a leather strap or metal braclet, and you can wear it to any fancy occasion/work/suit. They come in various case sizes, so you can size to your liking too- I prefer a slightly bigger watch, but they have a short 'lug to lug', which makes them fit well on the wrist. Look up on youtube Teddy Baldassare, he has a lot of reviews on various watches, and many on the Hamilton Khaki Field series, which he highly recommends. https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-us/collection/khaki-field.html

The lack of touch screen and the unnecessary BS is my favorite feature of the Fenix lol.

I have been using a 6x for many years. I am not nice to them in the least bit and they have yet to fail me. For what I put mine through, the lens should be clear as mud and the finish should be gone, but the wear is barely visible. My Suunto looked like bubblegum within a year. The GPS on these is pretty great, battery life is phenomenal, and the whole no touch screen is great. I would love to get a Fenix 7x but I can't justify replacing the 6x when it's still kicking and working great after all of this time. Maybe it will break in time to justify an 8x or 9x 🤣

My screen is a little bit dirty in this photo, but a quick wipe down and she's good as new.

View attachment 1437967
That is why there are so many choices.

It has been about 3 years now since I really looked at the Fenix so I do not recall what the feature differences were. All I know is that for the price, if it did not do the things I wanted it to, it was not worth it.

I teach a lot so I use my watch to control the presentations. When working on stuff and my hands are full I often find myself answer my phone on my watch because it is handy. Of course getting text/email and other notifications on the watch are nice. I have also being using the pay feature quite a bit. I was resistant at first but from what I read it is safer than using your CC since it generates a unique number each time which is harder to steal for fraud.

I am indifferent on the touch screen. It is not a pro or a con to me. I do like my physically rotating bezel though.

The only real downside to the Samsung is the battery life. I pretty much have to charge it nightly, which is not a big deal since I take it off at night anyhow.

Casio pro trek is pretty nice looking and has solar power, analog and digital display, compass, altimeter and barometer. You could put a nicer band on it pretty easily to switch up the look. It's like the prettier version of a g shock, less tactical but same function, more outdoorsy than tacticool. I have a few g shocks and a protrek, I like all of them.

I have a Samsung Gear S3 that is 7 years old now and I'm about to replace the battery on it. My son gave me his Samsung Galaxy Active Watch 2.

I really like that Tissot T-Touch Connect Solar.

I received a Seiko S5 GMT SSK003 "Batman" as a retirement gift from work. Though I've been wearing my Seiko Prospex SRPD25 "Monster"

I agree with the use case specific watch, then again I have been into watches since my first digital watch in the 70s.

I was thinking about the Casio Edifice but it doesn't have GPS. The Casio Protrek sounds like a good fit for your requirements.

Casio pro trek is pretty nice looking and has solar power, analog and digital display, compass, altimeter and barometer. You could put a nicer band on it pretty easily to switch up the look. It's like the prettier version of a g shock, less tactical but same function, more outdoorsy than tacticool. I have a few g shocks and a protrek, I like all of them.
I'm with him. I've had a pro trek for the past 6 years and really like it. The altimeter, barometer, altitude, etc is more important to me and like some others, for GPS, I prefer dedicated tools that aren't "connected" dependent and have adequate GPS antenna's that you really just can't cram into your average watch.

Even with altimeters, barometers and such... crammed into a watch sized sensor isn't entirely accurate, but it's good enough for trail purposes.

I've never quite understood "smart watches", but then again... my eyes aren't what they used to be and "staying connected" is not at all a high priority to me. I retreat into nature to get away from phones and all that other crap.

Feature sets are very user specific on what you need it to do for you, though. That's where I would start. Making a list of requirements in groups of "must have's", "prefer to also have" and "would be nice but not critical".

Got sick of battery powered or solar watches. I now have an Invicta and a Seiko 5, both automatic/self winding. Invicta uses a Seiko movement btw. Not super accurate but I am not launching rockets or timing anything critical, either one will lose a couple of minutes every few days. No big deal. With a screw down crown they are pretty waterproof.
I have had both for a few years now with no problems.

Got sick of battery powered or solar watches. I now have an Invicta and a Seiko 5, both automatic/self winding. Invicta uses a Seiko movement btw. Not super accurate but I am not launching rockets or timing anything critical, either one will lose a couple of minutes every few days. No big deal. With a screw down crown they are pretty waterproof.
I got tired of self-winders, rolexes and all fancy watches decades ago. $15 casio waterproof analog to now, $20 casio waterproof analog with 10 yr battery.

Checkout Tropic Timeworks...they take older Seiko designs and upgrade them with better parts, and all are automatics...mine is very accurate.

Since I use a normal watch daily and GPS less frequently, I use a couple Casio G-Shock watches. Both are Tough Solar so the batteries last forever. Seperately I use a small Garmin Foretrex. It can strap to your wrist if you want but I usually strap it to a pack harness.

Solar Powered Casio G-SHOCK.

IMG_4639.jpeg

Solar Powered Casio G-SHOCK.

View attachment 1438881
Yep. Im wearing a Casio lithium chronograph with a lot of features I never use except the 24-hr time, date/day/mo. It dates back to 1985, in continuous use. The jeweler who replaces the battery for me declared it on it's last legs several years ago. HAH! If it would ever croak that watch right there is what I plan on getting.
The only real reason I keep it is- my late brother left it to me when he crossed over. And it does what I need it to do.
Your watch, does it have 24/hr time? Will it take the stainless steel bands? Radio time adjustment?
Thanks for your trouble, Dun.....😃

G-Shock actually has a line of thin watches which a lot of watch geeks call the "squares". My watch of choice right now is the G-Shock 5610. Nothing fancy, only costed me about $100 and can take an absolute beating. Super minimalist look that can go with just about any outfit.

When hours and minutes became un-important to me I put my Seko self winder in my jewlery box along with the tie tacks and cuff links I inherited when my Dad died. Now daylight and dark time as well as food time works for me. When time is important for appointments or whatever a wall clock or my cell phone works well enough for me.

Fenix 6 series are tough as nails and great feature wise.The prices have been slashed since the 7 series came out- The 7 are , I think, all solar, whereas only the specific 6 pro solar is- and given the battery life on these compared to Casio, you really need it.

EuroOptic and Dvor have had some big sales on the 6

For a multifunction analog-ish watch, the Casio PRG-600YB-3CR is hard to beat.
04-3a08b2baadb9_1.02f39e08819005324759f64f414929ee.jpg

For just a solid rugged analog watch, Seiko Turtle/King Turtle or one of Seiko 5 s would be my choice

619F0DTLEcL._AC_UX679_.jpg

I got tired of self-winders, rolexes and all fancy watches decades ago. $15 casio waterproof analog to now, $20 casio waterproof analog with 10 yr battery.
I'm a real fan of self-winders, Rolexes and Seikos in particular, especially for formal occasions...

112487-63c1ab4cdebc30c2b53789cfe3f21df0.png

And I have a Bulova for just out and about and an Invicta for diving, but they're both battery-operated, so I don't wear them as much...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top