JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I refuse to order steak in a restaurant. Not only is it insanely expensive, I don't get the flavor from the spices I prefer.

Ive tried some Costco beef lately and it was quite good.

This ^^^

As for affordable decent steaks in a restaurant, the most consistent results were from Outback.

Lol I was wondering who kept the lights on there. Outback has been consistently horrible for me to the point I will never eat there again, even if someone is buying. Steak comes well done every time.

Ruth's Chris, Mortons, Ringside, and El Gaucho are all really good $$$, only places I'll order a steak in a restaurant.

I like the flavor of Costco rib eye steaks, but have had trouble with the way they are cut. Two things, one is they are often cut tapered in thickness so it is impossible to get them evenly done, the other thing is that many of the steaks are unrecognizable as a rib eye, so I just sort through the packages. It looks like they are sliced and packaged by a machine, not a meat cutter.

Haggen had the best steaks in town until they closed. I'm not real happy with any retailer I've found since. I must just be a picky bubblegum.

+1 for the rib eye steaks at Costco. I've seen two different price tiers and (when I buy them) I buy the rib eye steaks that are approximately $20 per pound. A bit of seasoning, cook them on the BBQ to medium rare, let them rest for 5-10 minutes, and *yum yum yum*

New York Strip or Rib Eyes 3/4" cuts on this. 700 Degreese, Sear both sides for about 30 seconds each. Then 700 Hundred Deg.for 2 1/2 - 3 Minutes on a side = Medium whala! Getting hungry just thinking about it!:)
Sniper 03

Big Green Egg.png

Last Edited:
Costco has very consistent meat quality and we get our annual New Year's Eve bone-in ribeye roast there. We have also gotten ribeye from the Safeway in Beaverton on Teal. They also had very good USDA Prime cuts there around the holidays. Have not tried any other places to buy high-end cuts of meat in a long time.

As for restaurant steaks, the only place we go to anymore is either Ringside or Fogo de Chao. The other places (El Gaucho, Ruth's Chris etc.) are just too expensive to justify. If my company or my wife's company is paying, I'll go, but otherwise, happier to buy my own steak and cook it myself.

As for prep, all I do with my steaks is rub them down with some olive oil and sprinkle some crushed pepper and kosher salt on both sides. 4 min a side on the BBQ and ready to eat. No fuss, no muss and certainly no ketchup or A1 :)

Best steak I ever bought at a market was in St. Thomas, USDA "select" grade. Fat is vastly overrated as a contributor to flavor, unless of course you like that flavor. In the U.S. territories stores don't carry much, if any, USDA "prime" and "choice" grades. Best steak I ever ate was real Kobe beef from Japan, prepared at a friend's home on Oahu, small strips cooked over a hibachi burning charcoal his family made from some type of local wood.

Best steaks are done at home....

It's very hard to beat fresh corn-fed Nebraska beef delivered to your front door: www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?AID=2170&Dsp=4260&ITMSUF=FVA&SRC=AC3050

I had a client bring me a box of Omaha ribeye steaks, he bartered with me for some work--Then he told me to just take the steaks right from the freezer and throw them on the grill--I found out why, the meat quality sucked
If you take a look at their prices you'll see another thing that sucks:eek:

Costco is carrying some USDA Prime steaks. Haven't tried any yet, but its on my radar. If I'm going to grill me a good steak, I've been buying my bone-in ribeyes (USDA Choice) from the meat counter at Freddies. If you grill it correctly (Medium rare) it is pretty hard to beat.

Agree about Outback. Worst steaks ever.

Not sure if has been mentioned yet but Saylers Country Kitchen in Portland makes a damn good Steak, they also make the best Onion Rings.

They're a good fashioned Steak House, I haven't been for years though.

I forgot Saylers. My wife, then girlfriend, took her parents to the one in Beaverton, several years back,
I got the left over as I was at work when they arrived. She let me have her left over Porterhouse Tenderloin. Her parents knew then. That was still 6 months before I proposed.
Been to the East side a couple times since Beaverton closed.

Also not mentioned is Claim Jumper ( Just off I5, just north of Tualatin ) It is pretty good - chain place of course. And if I am going near there, I'd goto Oswego first.

I had a client bring me a box of Omaha ribeye steaks, he bartered with me for some work--Then he told me to just take the steaks right from the freezer and throw them on the grill--I found out why, the meat quality sucked
If you take a look at their prices you'll see another thing that sucks:eek:

Sounds like you may have gotten played for something that had been in someone's freezer way too long. We've not experienced a bad item yet from OS. Pricey yes, but we've found the quality to be as expected. I've not heard of taking a frozen cut of anything and throw directly on a grill and expect it to come out right.....just sayin.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews