JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The last steak I had was from Ramblin' Jacks Ribeye in Napavine, WA... 1-5 exit 72 i believe. It was thier Smoked Ribeye topped with a pecan butter and it was like eating a delicious steak and pecan pie at the same time... sinfully delicious. They are kinda hit and miss though... I've eaten there a few times and can go from excellent (like last week) to underwhelming. Prices are very good though.
I have to boast that nobody grills up a steak better than me. but that's just my humble opinion:D

I love the RibEye - favorite eatery between Portland and Seattle.

I boiled one the other night. :)

Kidding, bought a knockoff Sous Vide immersion cooker Cyber Monday and had a 1 1/2 inch thick New York in the freezer.
Salt and peppered the jebeezus outta it, vacuum sealed it and dropped it in the water at 130 degrees and let it do its thing for 2 hrs. Pulled it out and let it rest for 10 minutes, added more seasoning and seared it in a smoking hot cast iron pan for 20 seconds or so on each side and it was a perfect tender flavorful medium rare even on the edges. Did a couple chicken breasts last night and they were the juiciest and most flavorful that I've ever eaten.

How to Get Started With Sous Vide Cooking
Not a good representation as the picture washed out after uploading. All of it looked the same as on the left.
IMG_20171130_205057.jpg

Kidding, bought a knockoff Sous Vide immersion cooker Cyber Monday and had a 1 1/2 inch thick New York in the freezer.
Salt and peppered the jebeezus outta it, vacuum sealed it and dropped it in the water at 130 degrees and let it do its thing for 2 hrs. Pulled it out and let it rest for 10 minutes, added more seasoning and seared it in a smoking hot cast iron pan for 20 seconds or so on each side and it was a perfect tender flavorful medium rare even on the edges. Did a couple chicken breasts last night and they were the juiciest and most flavorful that I've ever eaten.

Not a good representation as the picture washed out after uploading. All of it looked the same as on the left.
View attachment 409938
Try thick cut pork chops in the sous vide, super tender and moist.

View attachment 409938

That plate brings back memories - we had the exact same ones when I was a kid.

Good looking hunk of meat too.

I don't eat steaks at restaurants normally.

At least at home you can eat it raw or just marked and no one will look at you funny. :rolleyes: Okay maybe I don't do that (not that I'd admit to it if I did), but in the past every time I ordered medium rare I got well done still. So I just don't eat steaks at restaurants. The only exception was a bar, but it was a burger not a steak.

Those look nice !

So do you do a rub ?
Smoker temp ?
Smoke wood ?

I like to do ribs low 'n slow, so that's why all the questions.
I rubbed them with a pork and poultry spice, then a baste of yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce and apple juice, 3 hours of smoke using a northwest blend of alder, maple, and apple. Then 2 hours in the oven at 225 wrapped in foil with apple juice. Then smothered in Sweet baby Rays and back on the traegar at 225 for 1 hour.

Worst 1% anticipation ever as I wait for the sous vide bath to get to temp for hard boiled eggs...

Hmm, I usually just put some eggs in cold water in a pan, put 'em on the stove a simmer them for 10 or so minutes. Whole thing takes less than 20 minutes. So we're talking a "Food Spa" here huh? I guess I'm behind the times or somethin'. :oops:

Hmm, I usually just put some eggs in cold water in a pan, put 'em on the stove a simmer them for 10 or so minutes. Whole thing takes less than 20 minutes. So we're talking a "Food Spa" here huh? I guess I'm behind the times or somethin'. :oops:
Yes you are!

The new method is to get the water to EXACTLY 189 degrees and then control that and the time with your cell phone. All very modern! At like 10x the price of the old way...

However it looks amazing for meat. Going to try that tonight.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top