JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not the best actors, the actors who made the best movies.

Has any actor made more great movies than Harrison Ford? In addition to Star Wars, Blade Runner, and Indiana Jones, I'm very partial to the string of movies he did from 1988 through 1994.

Star Wars (5)
Blade Runner (2)
Indiana Jones (5)

Clear and Present Danger. 1994
The Fugitive. 1993
Patriot Games. 1992
Regarding Henry. 1991
Presumed Innocent. 1990
Working Girl. 1988

I'm trying to think of what other actor made so many good choices in movies, and I would say Tom Cruise played in a lot of my favorite movies.

Collateral. 2004
Minority Report. 2002
Jerry Maguire. 1996
The Firm. 1993
A Few Good Men. 1992
Rain Man. 1988
Top Gun. 1986

Also Mission Impossible, but I'm not a fan of those.

Gary Oldman, Daniel Day Lewis, DiCaprio, DeNiro, Al Pacino, etc.

Another one that people are surprised by is Elijah Wood; after LOTR (cast at only 18) he was pretty much set for life but went on to write and star in several creative and weird horror/thrillers.

Gary Oldman, Daniel Day Lewis, DiCaprio, DeNiro, Al Pacino, etc.

Another one that people are surprised by is Elijah Wood; after LOTR (cast at only 18) he was pretty much set for life but went on to write and star in several creative and weird horror/thrillers.
It sounds like you're listing who you consider the best actors. I'm asking what actor made the best movies. Pick any of your actors and give us a list of what you think are great movies made by that actor.

Lee Marvin...

The Man who Killed Liberty Valance...Western with John Wayne and James Stewart...
Marvin plays a really bad guy.

The Dirty Dozen...not a favorite movie by Marvin , himself...but a great movie nevertheless....
And an excellent supporting cast...

The Big Red One...WWII movie directed by Sam Fuller ..A WWII veteran of the 1st Infantry Division...
Marvin a Marine veteran of WWII...plays the Seregent.

Cat Ballou ...Off beat western comedy...Marvin plays two roles in it....

Point Blank...Marvin again as a bad guy...this time out for revenge....

The Professionals...Marvin as a Soldier of Fortune in the Mexican Revolution...great supporting cast here as well...

TV work as well....M Squad

Lee Marvin was a class act...and his movies are well worth seeking out and watchiing.

Not gonna lie...
Harrison Ford...Ehhh...he is okay...just not in the same league as Lee Marvin.
Tom Cruise...ain't worth any thought of mine.
Andy

Last Edited:
Many of those actors were/are shadow writers for their best films. If you mean directed by exclusively, it's hard to beat Clint Eastwood.
No, I mean who was in the best movies, regardless of their contribution.

Not gonna lie...
Harrison Ford...Ehhh...he is okay...just not in the same league as Lee Marvin.
Tom Cruise...ain't worth any thought of mine.
Lee Marvin was great and was in great movies; great choice! But this isn't about who "is in the same league" as an actor/writer/producer/anything, just who was IN the best movies. If I want to see a bunch of great movies, what actor can I choose to reliably watch some really good movies. With Harrison Ford, I get The Fugitive, Indiana Jones, Blade Runner ... I love all of those movies!

No, I mean who was in the best movies, regardless of their contribution.

Lee Marvin was great and was in great movies; great choice! But this isn't about who "is in the same league" as an actor/writer/producer/anything, just who was IN the best movies. If I want to see a bunch of great movies, what actor can I choose to reliably watch some really good movies. With Harrison Ford, I get The Fugitive, Indiana Jones, Blade Runner ... I love all of those movies!
I said who was in the best movies...Lee Marvin...
Can't stand Cruise ...and Ford..is okay.
Andy

Christopher Walken
Deer Hunter
Pulp Fiction
Suicide Kings
Catch me if you can
and tons of small parts here and there. CW just showing up always makes a good movie that much better to me.

Christopher Walken
Deer Hunter
Pulp Fiction
Suicide Kings
Catch me if you can
and tons of small parts here and there. CW just showing up always makes a good movie that much better to me.
Good list of movies. I remember when I first saw Deer Hunter it was so powerful and disturbing that for a few days I wished I hadn't seen it. :D It was so powerful that when I later saw Apocalypse Now, AN seemed tame by comparison. Also one of my favorite DeNiro movies, and probably the first movie I saw Meryl Streep.

Bruce Willis in Pulp Fiction: "That's how you're gonna beat 'em, Butch. They keep underestimating you." One of my favorite lines in a movie.

it's hard to beat Clint Eastwood.

You're right, it is hard to beat Clint Eastwood.

American Sniper
Space Cowboys
In the Line of Fire
Unforgiven
All Dirty Harry movies
Firefox
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Play Misty for Me

plus a lot that I probably saw but don't recognize by title.

He had so many great movies, I agree that his filmography exceeds that of Harrison Ford. Good call!

James Cagney - White Heat, Yankee Doodle Dandy, many others.
Humphrey Bogart - Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, many others.
Gary Cooper - Sargeant York, For Whom the Bell Tolls, many others.

Initially I phrased the question poorly, leading to some confusion.

What I should have asked is, What Actor has the Best Filmography? But we're okay anyway, the responses are in line with that.

You're right, it is hard to beat Clint Eastwood.

American Sniper
Space Cowboys
In the Line of Fire
Unforgiven
All Dirty Harry movies
Firefox
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Play Misty for Me

plus a lot that I probably saw but don't recognize by title.

He had so many great movies, I agree that his filmography exceeds that of Harrison Ford. Good call!
Don't forget that Clint Eastwood's first movie role was in "The Creature From The Black Lagoon"!

Honestly a lot of great choices so I will add one more with Denzel Washington

Glory
Courage under fire
The bone collector
Remember the Titans
John Q
Man on Fire
Manchurian candidate
Inside man
Training day
American Gangster

The first Equalizer was good. I mean has a stout resume