JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure if has been mentioned yet but Saylers Country Kitchen in Portland makes a damn good Steak, they also make the best Onion Rings.

They're a good fashioned Steak House, I haven't been for years though.

Please go to the downtown ringside! They have the best onion rings ever. Don't skimp on the Gorgonzola sauce! Then order the dry aged ribeye. Yes it's twice as expensive (at least) compared to saylors. But I guarantee you that both the rings and beef will change your opinion.

Sounds like you may have gotten played for something that had been in someone's freezer way too long. We've not experienced a bad item yet from OS. Pricey yes, but we've found the quality to be as expected. I've not heard of taking a frozen cut of anything and throw directly on a grill and expect it to come out right.....just sayin.

These were very thin ribeye steaks, and if I had thawed them before cooking they got very tough after cooking--Cooking them frozen made them eatable, but too tough for pricey meat. He could've been handing me any company's steaks in an Omaha box

Please go to the downtown ringside! They have the best onion rings ever. Don't skimp on the Gorgonzola sauce! Then order the dry aged ribeye. Yes it's twice as expensive (at least) compared to saylors. But I guarantee you that both the rings and beef will change your opinion.

I looked them up on Yelp, those Onion Rings look so damn good!

No it's not all American... bleh.

Americans are purists and like their cows fed on good all American alfalfa, a little exercise and good marbling. Cooked properly nothing ever.... ever needs that nasty red crap.
Ha! It's better than those little bottles of diarrhea otherwise known as "steak sauce".

Picked up one of those huge pork rib roasts at Costco the other day. Almost 7lbs, 27 bucks. I generally don't like pre-seasoned cuts but I needed to feed the kids something. 350 for 2 1/2 hours. Came out perfect. Kids aren't big pork fans but they gobbled it up.

I have struggled my whole life grilling a steak as good as a good restaurant steak. When I ask questions, I'm always told steak competitions are won and lost by the quality of the meat.

So, I've purposely bought expensive steak, cheap steak, of every cut imaginable, and I am getting better.

Some really expensive meat is not very good, and some really cheap cuts have been wonderful. You just never know. Life is like a box of steaks.:D

When available, I like to grill the really cheap sirloin strips. Sometimes they are as good as the best steak I've ever eaten, and sometimes they are quite mediocre. Sirloin strip steak...I don't even know if it's a real sirloin, or if it's butt meat shaped like a sirloin with a fancy name.

Just today I bought three packages of these sirloin strips from Fred Meyer. At $2.77 a pound, it's cheaper than hamburger. Already grilled a couple, one for now and one for later, but they were so good I ate them both.

I use a gas BBQ. Before you turn your nose up, that's what I have, and that's not likely gonna change. Today I rubbed the steak with Weber Classic BBQ seasoning, and I put a pan of wood chips and cedar shavings at the far end of the BBQ. These do smolder and smoke profusely.

I'm not a BBQ snob or an expert, but I noticed a big difference when I went from a gas grill to a simple, charcoal Weber grill. The meat was much juicier using the charcoal and Weber grill.
https://www.amazon.com/Weber-144010...F8&qid=1512965342&sr=1-4&keywords=weber+grill

What I do:
  1. I prefer the rib-eye steaks from Costco. I take them out of the fridge about 30min prior to cooking and use a bit of a Tom Douglas Steak Rub (a little goes a long ways). https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Douglas-...pons&keywords=tom+douglas+rub+with+love&psc=1
  2. Use a charcoal chimney starter to get the charcoal going faster. Then pour the charcoal over one half of the BBQ (the hot side). Close the lid, let things heat up to say 400F.
  3. Start the meat cooking on the cool side, lid on, almost like baking it. I'll flip it a couple of times and gradually move the meat closer to the hot side.
  4. Finish with a sear over the direct heat. I strive for medium rare.
  5. Take the meat off, give it 5-10 min to rest. Serve.
Pic attached of the steaks with the dry rub and ready for the grill.

IMG_1894.jpg

Been on the chuck eye wagon pretty much all year, just grilled some Monday. cant beat the price for the quality of the finished product. If you want to get some smoke on and cook with coal what I do is just throw a handful of smoke pellets right on the coal bed before I put the meat on, seems to work out

I get my beef from the Kelly ranch in Maupin (relatives). The best steak I had in PDX was a T-Bone at El Gaucho. I'd rate it 8/10. Best steak I ever had was Tony's in St, Louis. I haven't found a steak place in Eugene yet. Outback doesn't count.

The best steak I have had is the rib eye at Hy's Steakhouse in Honolulu. I usually don't order steak when I eat out as I can grill a pretty decent steak at home for a fraction of the restaurant price. I try and order something that I don't make at home.

The other day I gave a stranger a jumpstart at a rest area in Dubois, Idaho... and since we were headed in the same direction we followed her to the Butte area to make sure her alternator held out and she made it safely. She was traveling alone and the roads were nasty, and it was going to be dark before she made it to where she was going. I gave her one of my two way radios to keep coms for battery level status, and pit stop coordination, and away we went. Evidently this gave her worried husband (feeling helpless in seattle) piece of mind and they insisted on buying the wife and I Tenderloin and Prawns at her aunts restaurant in Anaconda, Montana... a place called the Barclay. It was one of the best eats of my life. If your ever anywhere near anaconda... go there! It was 6 courses of delicious!
IMG_4240.JPG

And since it's been a week since I had a good slab of bovine flesh, I grilled up a pre seasoned Tri-tip, and fried some scallops that I picked up at Costco
It was OK, but the seasoning wasn't as good as if I'd done it myself. The scallops were delicious... I experimented with a garlic honey butter sauce that was :s0155:
IMG_4282.JPG

I'm not a BBQ snob or an expert, but I noticed a big difference when I went from a gas grill to a simple, charcoal Weber grill. The meat was much juicier using the charcoal and Weber grill.
https://www.amazon.com/Weber-144010...F8&qid=1512965342&sr=1-4&keywords=weber+grill

What I do:
  1. I prefer the rib-eye steaks from Costco. I take them out of the fridge about 30min prior to cooking and use a bit of a Tom Douglas Steak Rub (a little goes a long ways). https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Douglas-...pons&keywords=tom+douglas+rub+with+love&psc=1
  2. Use a charcoal chimney starter to get the charcoal going faster. Then pour the charcoal over one half of the BBQ (the hot side). Close the lid, let things heat up to say 400F.
  3. Start the meat cooking on the cool side, lid on, almost like baking it. I'll flip it a couple of times and gradually move the meat closer to the hot side.
  4. Finish with a sear over the direct heat. I strive for medium rare.
  5. Take the meat off, give it 5-10 min to rest. Serve.
Pic attached of the steaks with the dry rub and ready for the grill.

View attachment 412501

That looks like tenderloin not ribeye? If so what time should I stop over for dinner?

Perhaps I'm mistaken, some call that 'reverse sear', in that care is taken by the attentive Chef to heat the center to near-perfect before the final fast sear of the outer surface, such that all is well in the Land of the Steak Chompers Society.

I've been utilizing an actual thermal pen lately that has helped me gain more consistency in whatever grill items. Yes, Weber/charcoal is my method, and it seems so much more complicated now than in past trial & error. Lots of error....

But then I've managed to fail the simple subtlety of a proper smoked cheese as well, don't ask about the brisket fails I've managed to accumulate.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews