JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My at home cooking method is this:

Pull out steaks, Rib Eye (or Porterhouse) on counter to get off fridge temp ~ 1hr
Prep Cast Iron Skillet - into oven
Turn on Oven, mine goes to 550 (use self clean if you can) This is cool compared to ~ 1000 on max heat of burner
Wait (this is the first hard part, wait) Oven needs full temp
Turn on burner, hot as it'll go - put 'hot' skillet on burner
Dry Steaks ( paper towel)
Dust Steaks - Salt, Pepper and Garlic powder - both sides
Open window, turn on exhaust fan
Steak to skillet - 2 mins, do not touch
Flip - 2 mins, do not touch
Off burner back into hot oven. Check - about 2 mins - 4 mins
Out of oven, out of skillet
Rest (this is the second hard part)

Oh, you may have wanted to prepare in advance any fixins, or do them while the steaks rest.

--

I have eaten at El Gaucho Portland - did drop about $500 - we were sending off some friends to 'retirement' AKA hell - AZ
And the Ringside (didn't make me want to come back)
And Ruth's Chris - (Presentation was great, dont' remember steak)
And Standfords - they have a steak, but so do a lot of places

Why is there no steak house in Hillsboro?

For large cuts of meat - brisket, rack of ribs - we goto Cash & Carry
Not sure we have gotten steak there.

I liked Gartners, but it is the "other side of town" for me.

I'll be sure to try Meating Place - not sure what I got last time I was there, could have just been a sandwich.

WinCo - hmmmm. I like their pork shoulder steaks. :)

Another for ringside. I also like a Ruth's Chris filet. If at home cast iron super hot for a couple on the stovetop and then a couple more in the same pan in the oven @450. Or if grillin, hot as possible, fast as possible. All have jhonnys and some Montreal. I'm good with a new York, ribeye or filet.

That's it, I'm going to cook a steak!! When my wife asks why I'm having second dinner, I'm saying it's your guys fault.

thick cut bone in ribeye... or Tritip
a bit of lea and perins watsthisheresause and a little mccormicks grill mates. hot and fast

Yea, and smoked tritip using alder wood. Or smoked elk burgers with some cherry and apple wood. No wonder I'm fat.

I was almost 40 before I had my first smoked burger. Don't be a fool like I was. It's better than a whopper on top of a five guys inside of a turduckin.

LOCALLY:
If you have $300-$400 to burn on a totally decadent dinner for two... El Goucho in the Benson Hotel, downtown PDX... one of the top three best dinners I ever remember having... and I've had a LOT of dinners over the last half-century!

El Gaucho Portland | the Northwest's Steakhouse Legacy

SEMI-LOCAL:
The restaurant in The Inn at Spanish Head just south of Lincoln City... I had an AWESOME ribeye, lobster, calamari, salad (etc) dinner there (one of top three dinners, ever!)

NOT SO LOCAL:
Hugo's Cellar in Las Vegas was one of (again) the top three best dinners I ever had, and actually inspired me to photograph the exquisite meal we enjoyed there Dec. '16

Table-side made to order salad:
View attachment 409792
View attachment 409790

We almost had to be rolled out in wheelbarrows from each of those places!! :D

I get it Sarge, my meal was so good that I proposed to my wife at Hugos. Hers was so good, she said yes.

TBH I don't like steak. As a kid we grew up poor and my dad had to have his steak and potatoes. So my mom would buy the cheapest POS garbage steak and cook it so far well done the fat would be burnt. We also had a "clean the plate" rule that included the burnt fat and gristle. Let's just say it ruined me for life on steak.

I will say, The Meating Place does have awesome pepperoni sticks as well as jalapeno cheddar summer sausage! As does White's Meats in Gresham!

Go to Huntington's in Klickitat, you'll change your opinion on steaks.

The best steak dinner I ever had was at restaurant in Niagra falls Canada... It was right across from the hotel that my bride and I stayed at for our honeymoon. It was recommended by the doorman on our way out. said it just opened and everybody was raving about it. It was in a strip mall, and looked like a hastily swanked out former DMV office or something... Not much for atmosphere.. but the food was amazing! One of my dads friends gave me $200 At our reception and said it had to all go to 1 really good dinner, and I was to leave the rest as a tip, so make it count! I ordered the most expensive thing on the menu and it was a big ol' fillet and a couple grilled trout with white asparagus and some fancy sauce drizzled over everything It was going on 20 years ago and I can still remember savoring every single bite! It was the first real tenderloin I'd ever had. I was almost too full to enjoy the heart shaped jacuzzi with overhead mirrors in our suite that night...
Almost;)
Wow almost 20 years smh. the honeymoon is definitely over:rolleyes:

buy chuckeye(has to be CHUCKEYE not chuck steak. its basically a ribeye. trust me) or ribeye at safeway.

step 1:
start traeger. set to HI
step 2:
season steak with olive oil, rock salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder
step 3:
light propane burner and put cast iron skillet with a small amount of grape seed oil in it. get it HOT
step 4: sear steak in cast iron for 25 sec each side
step 5: move steak to traeger and cook until 145* internal.
step 6: remove steak, clean and turnoff trager. let steak sit for 5 min on kitchen counter.
step 7: enjoy

Hugo's Cellar in Las Vegas was one of (again) the top three best dinners I ever had, and actually inspired me to photograph the exquisite meal we enjoyed there Dec. '16
I agree. Amazing steaks here.;) I had a NY steak wife had a normal size cut prime rib. Prime rib was huge.
Excellent salad, side dishes and service.:):D:rolleyes::p

buy chuckeye(has to be CHUCKEYE not chuck steak. its basically a ribeye. trust me) or ribeye at safeway.

step 1:
start traeger. set to HI
step 2:
season steak with olive oil, rock salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder
step 3:
light propane burner and put cast iron skillet with a small amount of grape seed oil in it. get it HOT
step 4: sear steak in cast iron for 25 sec each side
step 5: move steak to traeger and cook until 145* internal.
step 6: remove steak, clean and turnoff trager. let steak sit for 5 min on kitchen counter.
step 7: enjoy

This ^^^ right here.....I like a variety of different animal flesh cooked on the grill. I'm never going to buy steak from a restaurant again. Wifey took me to the Ringside one birthday, more for the oysters on the half shell than the steak. "I could see the marks where the jockey was hitting it!" of the "Top Sirloin".

I never noticed a big flavor difference between Winco or Gartner's. All I buy for steak anymore is chuck eye. (Beef all over this country, even imported beef. It shouldn't cost $14.00/lb for a damned rib steak with a bone.) I look at Winco's chuck eye every time I'm there. If it looks right, we're having steak! If it's got a good marbling going on it's going to taste good grilled up med rare. To me and Wifey anyway. I either put 'em into a ziplock with some wine, soy Worcestershire, garlic, pepper, etc for a bit, or just some Montreal Steak Seasoning and an olive oil rub.

One time I got lucky at Freddie's and they had a couple of chuck eye's that looked like that fancy Wagu stuff with the marbling making it look pale red, for chuck eye price. That may have been the best steak I ever had.

Low 'n Slow Tri Tip

Tri Tip is a chewy cut when done hot and fast, IMO.
The method below is borrowed from brisket cookery.

If you haven't tried the Low 'n Slow method of cooking Tri Tip you are missing out.
Did the Coffee and Cocoa rub the last couple of times and it has been great !

C&C Rub

3 TBSP finely ground espresso beans
1 TBSP unsweetened baker's cocoa
1 TBSP coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp Kosher salt

Keep cooker at 225° - 230°
I've been using cherry smokewood
Also I brush on cooking oil for "glue" so the rub sticks
Haven't been searing
Wrap (double) tightly with heavy foil (or uncoated butcher paper) when you reach 150° internal
Pull when you reach 195° internal, wrap with towel and place in cooler.
Rest for 45 minutes.
3/16"-1/4" is the perfect slice thickness across the grain (of course).
Onto the slices, ladle on some of the juice that the foil captured and lightly dust with Kosher salt to taste

So you need to be able to monitor cooker temp and internal meat temp to do this the easy way.
I use a Maverick ET-732 which is a two channel remote temp monitor.

It's been taking 4-5 hours to do a large size Tri Tip

Another good picture.

5FAD413C-5ACC-4836-84C7-9497690D372F.jpeg

I shop at Safeway, Fred Meyer and Winco. I have found that Safeway has the best quality and flavor although they tend to be more expensive.

@v0lcom13sn0w Is right on the Chuckeye, it is one of my favorite steaks! I mostly just salt and pepper my steaks and do them in a cast iron pan or on the Weber, done just a hair over medium rare.

If you like Montreal, then try Weber Chicago Steak.
Less salty and just a slight bump above good ol' S&P.....does not over power the beef taste.
61ssLjTKgIL._SY550_.jpg

And if you're still using your father's "powdered" salt and pepper, maybe it's time to modernize.

About 16 mesh and available at Walmart.
restblackpep_51521.png

And you guessed it, not all salt is created equal.
icvoZtckjDXzgvIbeGVNVA-large.png

It's true, "mesh" size affects taste.
Ask any chef.

Edit:
I make up shakers from re-purposed spice bottles that have the right sieve size.
Favorite is the square bottle from Trader Joe's spices.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads