JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One other nice thing about cartridges like .308 is the ability to shoot something like .32 H&R using a chamber adapter, for small game.

For a while bullets like the 125gr Ballistic Tip were recommended for self defense. Even better to get a bonded bullet, for shooting through stuff, which happens in defense shooting. Personally I've not had a lot of luck getting my hands on bonded bullets though. Anybody have a good source?

I suppose the whole point of .308 is that it is going to be effective almost no matter what you shoot in it, although I agree with avoiding FMJ where possible. Problem is, it's hard (and expensive) to accumulate anything other than FMJ in thousand-round cases...

Are they hand loads?

Care to share the info?

Seruuosly never gave this a lot of though, so I could invest in some mags full of better choice ammo. Figured it was going fast, could get through light armor, and is fairly inexpensive to gather a bunch.
I buy commercial ammo for self-defense and most hunting.

My hand-loaded ammo is light loads I made - such as pistol powder with dacron on top of the powder and a light projectile, many of the projectiles are hard cast lead with gas checks. They are light recoil and low sound/flash and accurate enough out to 100 yards as I would probably use them at distances under 100 yards - to take rabbits and such.

I am keeping my eyes open for some Trail Boss so I can work up some more light loads, this time without dacron - but the dacron does work just fine.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top