JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

CC cal. for blk bear

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of this set of options, I would choose .357 with a HOT handload and a good bullet. Don't be afraid of a good, hard cast lead bullet, either.
I had a .500. It should stop almost anything. It's now gone and I do not ever feel like I'm "packing light" when I carry my .41 Mag. A 210 Hornady XTP at 1300 fps is nothing to sneeze at.

Like was stated about the 22lr,it's shot placement.
There is a story around the net about an attack for a bear in Alaska- recently,that the guy put it down,at VERY close range,with a 1911.

Love the gun,not my choice for bear.

Years ago,Alaska magazine had an article about this.It said if you are going to use a 44mag for bears,be sure to file the sites off,so it doesn't hurt so bad when he shoves it up your **s

You don't want to shoot a bear in the head while he is facing you.The way the head slopes back and as heavy as the front of the skull is,the bullets won't penetrate the skull, but run under the muscle.

And I have always heard not to use personal defense/HP rounds for game animals,also

Anyway.
I would carry one of those short barreled 44mags with some Buffalo Bores
Or if you want to use the guns you have( I'm guessing the three in the poll you own?),any would do fine with some hot loads TO DETER THE BEAR from attacking any more.

I picked the Glock 20 (10mm) because I have 15+1 times to get it right. If you want to pack in a heavier 6 shooter, that's fine with me. I hope you're a good shot under pressure.

There are many stories back in the day, hunter use 22LR to kill bears no problem.

But, that's when they are standing still. lol

doesn't S&W sells bear gun or something?

Just for fun lets distill this thread into the important points (I consider not being killed by a bear important):

1. Situational awareness: Bears don't like you and will avoid you if possible. If you can, don't let a bear want to get near you and it won't hurt you.

2. Deterrence: Noises and probably a good idea to carry bear repellent. It isn't as glamorous as standing your ground against a charging bear, but it gets the job done according to the product brochure. Plus less chance of wounded or dead bear to deal with.

3. Blast 'em. Two things come up here: I want the biggest damn gun I can get, or anything will do with an accurate shot. Lets be reasonable here. a .22LR might kill one, but not before it kills you. A .500S&W might kill the thing in one shot if your good. Penetration is preferable to no penetration.

I still haven't come up with anything ideal, per say. Logically, I would carry the biggest thing I can reliably score rapid hits with. Personally, while I like feeling recoil, I can't rapidly and accurately fire my Desert Eagle, so besides it's reliability issues, that would be out. Same goes for any big magnum wheel-gun. So, (for me) I would go down from there.

Personally, I would try the Glock 20 idea. Hot 10mm loads with more capacity. Just seems like a good balance between power, penetration, capacity and rapid-fire capability. YMMV

Also, the 12 ga shotgun has merit, but obviously this discussion is handgun oriented.

The last 2 summers I was lucky enough to be invited to fly fish in Alaska. First year, the "Host" provided a short barrel 12 gauge that we shared the duty of packing during excursions. Never fails, the guy with the shotgun is the farthest from the guy with the "Visitor".

This year I decided I was going to be carrying my own protection. Did some research and decided on the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 454 Casull (makes sense, going to Alaska and all). I had it Mag-Na-Ported to help with recoil and got a shoulder holster rig from Simply Rugged.

Tried the Buffalo Bore ammo, but kept having problems with the recoil "Pulling" the bullets and then the cylinder jams. Not something I wanted to happen should I actually need to use the thing! When I questioned them they said that they were sure they had that problem corrected. Needless to say, I went ammo shopping again. Found Grizzley Ammo out of Oregon. I shot a lot of 360 grn hard cast to get myself used to the recoil, never had a problem.

When we got to Alaska, someone had removed the shotgun from the boat and didn't return it. Was glad I had my Ruger. Most of the grizzlies we've seen retreat and run the minute they see you, on one of our excursions, I had 2 large grizzlies walk in on me while I was fishing. These 2 would not back down or run, just stared at me as if they were waiting for me to leave. I had waders on and nowhere to go except in the river. I slowly backed in to about waist deep and then side-stepped my way down river all the while aiming at them. As I moved down, they moved into the spot where I was fishing.

Never fired my gun, and got back to the group without incident. It was comforting to know that I could put 6 in a pie plate if need be.

Glock 20 or 29 (10MM)

+1 for the G20. Only I would fit mine with a cut rifle barrel and shoot hard cast (lots of tin) solid point bullets. The 10mm is pushing .41mag ballistics, the hard cast solid bullets are going to give the best penetration. Not to mention, 13 rounds, followed by another 13 rounds, followed by another 13 rounds, forllowed by... you get the point. The G20 is very controllable and very reliable, one of Uncle Teds favorites.

Agreed. Hard cast lead bullets in a .357 would be the option I would use out of the choices you listed.

Take it from a Bear ... I would go with the same, unless you're planning to meet Mr. Grizzly. Then, I would carry a little dog, shoot it and leave it to Mr. Grizzly to eat it .. the you run as fast as possible ... (advice taken froma guy who lived in Alaska for 45 years ... )

The only guy I know who has had a brown bear charge him said he shot it in the mouth with a 22-250 and it died instantly.
I want my hand gun cal to start with 4 and end in magnum.

We're talking black bear not brown.
You need penetration, but not for vitals, this is not hunting.
A bear can live around 1 minute with a destoyed heart (no blood pumping), that is more than enough time take ruin your day.
You need make a central nervous system hit or break a shoulder/leg.
You will not have time to "empty a magazine and then reload" in most circumstances. A charging bear can be on you in a second or two.
You need to be fast and proficient with what you carry, a follow-up shot or two is all your likley to get, make them count.
Spray and pray or discouraging a bear does not work IF it wants you. Bears don't have our phsychology. Unlike people they don't take a shot and collapse due to the realization that they have recieved a mortal wound.
Statistically speaking if no cubs are involved, most BLACK BEAR attacks are preditory in nature (still rarer than grizzly though). This is why they say "Don't play dead with black bear, fight back!", unlike grizzly.
Bear mace is not recomended for black bear.

Personally and refering only to BLACK BEAR....
If I had to go semi-auto 10mm hot and heavy is the only caliber under consideration (GLOCK!). .45acp is not a good choice, it's way too slow for it's caliber.
.357mag is the minimum revolver cartridge. You want heavy for caliber hard-cast WNFP in this round.
If you step up in caliber, there is debate as to whether JSP or it's like is a better choice, especially above .44mag.
Remember though you can have a hand cannon. But if you can't practice enough to master it, think rapid fire follow-up shots with accuracey, it does you no good.
Single action is great but, can you make very rapid follow-ups, with one hand maybe? I think this is a strong arguement for double action.
Super light guns are nice on the trail but, will you practice enough to master these powerhouse rounds?
I used to carry .44mag or .45colt loaded very hot but, as arthritis and carpal-tunnel have set in I find I can't tolerate them anymore.
Now I carry a 4" GP100, loaded with 185gr WNFP loaded to nearly 1400fps. This load penetrates.The gun soakes up the recoil and I can control it accuratley, with rapid fire. I'll take a few well placed adequate rounds over shooting poorly with a hand cannon any day! That having been said I still carry my 12 gauge with triple buck and brenneke slugs, when I can.
Speaking of 12gauge has any tried that tri-ball load from Dixie Slugs?

I don't have alot of experience with desert eagle, but from what I've seen with my friends, I want something more reliable. Also I'm 6'-2" and still find them a bit large for my hands. Handle recoil well though.

Shooting a Bear will more then likely just really piss it off. You cant out run /swim / climb a Bear.

If its about Bears and not Personal Self Defense your best solution is Bear mace.

Bear Repellent And Bear Mace Deterrent Questions and Answers

Even if ya were lucky to have a 50 Cal rifle ready and aimed chances are you would more then likey not kill a charging bear with first shot.

Good Luck!

Do you speak from expireance?
Have you been charged my a big brown bear?

Because that is funny stuff right there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top