JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm building an AR primarily for coyote hunting in central oregon. Id like to hear what your guys' ideal AR-15 setup is. Uppers, lowers, triggers, barrels etc. Some pictures would be awesome as well! Thanks in advance!

StagArms HBAR 6.8SPC-II upper on an Essential Arms lower, Hogue free-float, generic Harris-type bi-pod, Leupold 1.5-4x20, 45* offset BUIS, Magpul buttstock.

I've had it for several years, unfortunately I haven't taken out for hunting yet.

7F47749A-53F7-4195-873A-1D08EBE1FA08.jpeg 52AE6D01-1D8C-4417-88EB-3B3DD518C643.jpeg

Last Edited:
I am a bit of a coyote rifle junkie, I say this knowing that the first step to recovery is admitting that there is a problem.
So to celebrate my first step I am building a coyote hunting AR pistol!!!!!!

10" YHM barrel
F-1 Upper/Lower
Carbine length free float handguard (nothing fancy mind you)
SB tactical SBa3 adjustable pistol brace that fits on standard carbine buffer tube.
This will be used with a small red dot (Delta Point Pro), suppressor, and single point sling.

My coyote hunting style affords closer shots, usually within 50-100 yards or closer.

Waiting on SB brace and Barrel so no pics yet, but I think it should be very handy for coyotes!

I'm building an AR primarily for coyote hunting in central oregon. Id like to hear what your guys' ideal AR-15 setup is. Uppers, lowers, triggers, barrels etc. Some pictures would be awesome as well! Thanks in advance!
There are several great cartridges that would do the work here.
If I was building this now, I'd probably take the opportunity to try out the new 224V.
With all the players onboard already, it looks like it is going to stick.
The Keefe Report: 224 Valkyrie—Rightly, The Next Big Thing
New Hot-Rod .224 Valkyrie Cartridge from Federal « Daily Bulletin
.224 Valkyrie Barrels

Receivers :
Aero Precision Gen 2

Trigger :
Anything you want as long as it says "Geissele" on it

Optic :
One of the Leupold Fire Dots would be worth a look
(and a nice tool for a running shot)

The other components get into the realm of personal choices

Good luck

Last Edited:
No doubt individual results will vary, but I built this AR just for predator hunting (coyotes).
Chambered in 6mm WOA (a necked down 6.8spc) it delivers much more down range performance than a 5.56. It will shoot 75gr V-Max bullets at 3250fps. This one has taken 18-20 yotes and anchors them every time. Shilen 22" fluted barrel 1:10 twist, std upper, Stag lwr with single stage Timney trigger. I like lower powered scopes compared to most folks and use a 2-7 Leupold with center fire dot for wide field of view, fast acquisition and its also great for night hunting. This rifle is a bit heavy but I usually don't walk far for coyotes and shoot off a tripod 95% of the time.
Hope this helps
upload_2018-4-14_8-16-50.png

I have been shooting a 6.8spc since they first came out,16" barrel with a 1.5x6x42 nikon scope with a 90gr sierra or a 100gr speer tnt bullet it just destroys a coyote most of my shots are less than 50 yrds, just built a 11.5" sbr in 6.8spc running a reddot on it.

No doubt individual results will vary, but I built this AR just for predator hunting (coyotes).
Chambered in 6mm WOA (a necked down 6.8spc) it delivers much more down range performance than a 5.56. It will shoot 75gr V-Max bullets at 3250fps. This one has taken 18-20 yotes and anchors them every time. Shilen 22" fluted barrel 1:10 twist, std upper, Stag lwr with single stage Timney trigger. I like lower powered scopes compared to most folks and use a 2-7 Leupold with center fire dot for wide field of view, fast acquisition and its also great for night hunting. This rifle is a bit heavy but I usually don't walk far for coyotes and shoot off a tripod 95% of the time.
Hope this helps
View attachment 449862
A well thought out build in a nifty chambering.

There are several great cartridges that would do the work here.
If I was building this now, I'd probably take the opportunity to try out the new 224V.
With all the players onboard already, it looks like it is going to stick.
The Keefe Report: 224 Valkyrie—Rightly, The Next Big Thing
New Hot-Rod .224 Valkyrie Cartridge from Federal « Daily Bulletin
.224 Valkyrie Barrels

Receivers :
Aero Precision Gen 2

Trigger :
Anything you want as long as it says "Giselle" on it

Optic :
One of the Leupold Fire Dots would be worth a look
(and a nice tool for a running shot)

The other components get into the realm of personal choices

Good luck
Thank you! And thank you for the links to the Valkyrie, i think im sold! Do you use these rounds personally?

I'd think a good coyote gun would be set-up like a good 3 gun. Light, maneuverable and accurate. When I've called yotes in, they are usually close when I shoot. Within shotgun range. Sometimes you get 2 or more to come in, so the closer the better for multiple targets... I'd also be running a red dot sight for quick target acquisition. I found that exact rifle at a pawn shop a few months ago and dang near bought it.... I'd post the link, but still trying to decide if I want to buy it... :D Oh, more details on the rifle:

Spikes tactical upper/lower
18" stainless barrel
lightweight handguard
ACS stock
Geiselle trigger
Sig romeo 4 red dot
Weighs in around 7 pounds...

I'd think a good coyote gun would be set-up like a good 3 gun. Light, maneuverable and accurate. When I've called yotes in, they are usually close when I shoot. Within shotgun range. Sometimes you get 2 or more to come in, so the closer the better for multiple targets... I'd also be running a red dot sight for quick target acquisition. I found that exact rifle at a pawn shop a few months ago and dang near bought it.... I'd post the link, but still trying to decide if I want to buy it... :D Oh, more details on the rifle:

Spikes tactical upper/lower
18" stainless barrel
lightweight handguard
ACS stock
Geiselle trigger
Sig romeo 4 red dot
Weighs in around 7 pounds...
Thank you for the info, is stainless lighter?

If I had the cash, I'd be on this like a fly on shizzle - tho' @USMC-03 would have snagged it first.
With a 20" 1:7 barrel, you can shoot the 80 grain 223 projectiles, and if you can't drop a coyote with that at 800, well, bench time will get you there....

WTS OR - Noveske 20" Upper build

That upper is what I'm looking for, but just can't afford it right now.

My idea is to have it as an extra for my Bushmaster DCM; you're right, the 80 grain BTHP would perform well out to 800 yards. I'm using them at 600 in the Bushmaster.

I'm also hoping the 77 grain BTHP will work well at that range so I can seat to magazine length.

I've got a Leupold 6x target scope with mil-dot just waiting for this application.

@zluthi , building your own, here's something that just came up at a steal of a price.
If I had the cash, I'd be on this like a fly on shizzle - tho' @USMC-03 would have snagged it first.
With a 20" 1:7 barrel, you can shoot the 80 grain 223 projectiles, and if you can't drop a coyote with that at 800, well, bench time will get you there....

WTS OR - Noveske 20" Upper build
Thank you for that, that is pretty close to what im looking for but i have a guy im going through to get all the parts cheap. Thanks again

No, it's not. But it's easier to care for than blued steel.. Most of my AR's run stainless barrels.
Not much weight difference between Stainless and blued steel. Stainless builds heat faster, holds it longer.
As far as AR barrels and many BCGs, they are nitrided (Heat treated in a carburizing furnace, dropped in a salt bath of potassium nitrate). It makes them pretty impervious to rust, easy to care for, and tougher than h3ll.
If you search, Faxon Barrels has a very informative video on the difference between Nitrided, Chrome Lined, Stainless and phosphated components.

Not much weight difference between Stainless and blued steel. Stainless builds heat faster, holds it longer.
As far as AR barrels and many BCGs, they are nitrided (Heat treated in a carburizing furnace, dropped in a salt bath of potassium nitrate). It makes them pretty impervious to rust, easy to care for, and tougher than h3ll.
If you search, Faxon Barrels has a very informative video on the difference between Nitrided, Chrome Lined, Stainless and phosphated components.
Ill do that, thanks for the tips!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads