JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Especially concerned about areas that would be "legal" to hunt on. Secondarily the terrain is not as open as the eastern side of the state and generally more populated with folks but also more populated with yotes. So I would assume, (yeah I know what "they" say about assuming), that clear-cut areas would be desired just so long as hunting is allowed on the logging company's least
land. Some companies grant permission and charge an access fee. Eastern Oregon has large areas of BLM land but on the western side you have logging-lumber companies and US and state forest lands but not much BLM land. So how does someone hunt coyotes on the western side of the cascades and still stay within legal limits........AND....... not find yourself standing in the middle of a thickly wooded forest with a generously scoped rifle ?
With higher gas prices those trips to eastern Oregon have gotten a lot more costly. I live in Hillsboro by-the-way. I also use a suppressor. Any tips and suggestions very much appreciated.

Plenty of public land in western Oregon, you cant drive far without finding many clearcuts to pick from. You dont have to drive far from Hillsboro, just spend a weekend exploring and you'll find your spot.

Just like Crawdads, Coyotes are everywhere.

There's lots of public land West of the Cascades. BLM, National Forest, and State Forest. Find a spot where you can watch perimeters. Call, be invisible, and hide your scent. Nicolai Mountain, Saddle Mountain, Tillamook Burn, Mt. Hood National Forest, private timber properties that allow hunting, they're all accessible with a relatively short drive. Unless I'm purposely varmint hunting, I don't usually go looking for coyotes like I used to, but I see them far more regularly than in the past.

Get a good map showing public lands, and go exploring.

Last Edited:
Plenty of public land in western Oregon, you cant drive far without finding many clearcuts to pick from. You dont have to drive far from Hillsboro, just spend a weekend exploring and you'll find your spot.
I found interactive maps on ODFW that are really helping. Thanks for your help as well.

Just like Crawdads, Coyotes are everywhere.

There's lots of public land West of the Cascades. BLM, National Forest, and State Forest. Find a spot where you can watch perimeters. Call, be invisible, and hide your scent. Nicolai Mountain, Saddle Mountain, Tillamook Burn, Mt. Hood National Forest, private timber properties that allow hunting, they're all accessible with a relatively short drive. Unless I'm purposely varmint hunting, I don't usually go looking for coyotes like I used to, but I see them far more regularly than in the past.

Get a good map showing public lands, and go exploring.
Yes, thanks for your help. An interactive map on the ODFW website is showing me exactly who owns the land such as state forest, BLM, etc..and with clearly defined boundaries. Going out tomorrow in fact.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGtC9gx2U9tKQku5U8JTUOw These fine gents(and lady!) do it out in the Vernonia area. Maybe ask?
These guys are my neighbors. I had a big cat kill a yearling deer on my property early in the spring. Called Noble up, he came over and did some calling but the cat was long gone. I had moved the carcass 'cause it was a little close to the house so it probably got the hint. Since then I've lost one of my cats. I get a lot of yotes on my trail cams. Dillon plays bagpipes, we can hear it up here on the hill. He also likes to walk the logging road behind the house playing the pipes, kind of cool.

They've really thinned out the yote's around here, don't hear near as much singing at night as we used to.

They're real personable folks and would be glad to give someone some tips.

Dad's a gunsmith he built my 6mm SLR, handy to have as a neighbor :)

@Mistman One of those boys is a heck of a knife maker also. He made one for my son that now hangs on my living room wall

IMG_20210712_154710593.jpg

I just want to go on one hunt with them to learn...
I hunt north coast range... Basically the same territory but never get the action they do.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews