JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Who is the King of the 7.62x51 Hill?

• M1 Garand - Won The Big One, What More Do You Want?

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • M1A - Piston Perfection You Commie!

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • FAL - The Free World's Right Arm

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • HK G3/PTR-91 - Roller Delayed Blowback Perfection

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • AR-10/AR308 - The 60 Year Old FNG

Votes: 29 16.2%
  • I'll Stick With My 30-06 Springfield Boltie, Thank You

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Other - Please tell us what and why

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • 308 Galil - Keepin it Kosher

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • FN SCAR 17

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • Kel-Tec RFB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Used pinned loosely. They just didn't have them able to be full auto.
Yep, the Selector FSN 1005-587-8408 was normally(as if there is such a thing in the Military) originally issued to the Platoon Sargent. This pretty much stopped when the M-60 became available and the unit Armorer would then install the Selector as requested. I installed a number of them on Rifles(actually ALL of them) I provided to USMC units in the RVN. I did the same for the LRRP units who requested Rifles. I didn't have a problem with that.:):):)

I don't believe that is correct because the 7.62 M-60 came out at the same time as the M-14. Plus the M-60 stayed in use long after the M-14 did. And I will also say that while the M-60 is easier to control the M-14 in Full Auto mode is still very effective.

I'll let this thread go for now.
An M60 is a very different weapon to an M14. I have hundreds (thousands?) of hrs on the M60. It is a pure machine gun derived from German WW2 weapons. It is large, heavy and belt fed either from a pintle or bipod mount. Quick change barrels and other features that make it a world class air cooled machine gun. M14's in full auto are not overly effective, even many M4's are being modified to a 3 shot burst option instead of full automatic fire. Full auto fire is best limited to specialized weapons like the SAW and similar systems.

Argonaut; You are correct. The M-60 was the replacement for the different Browning Air-cooled Machine Guns and to some extent the BAR. The M-14, with Selector, was designed to replace the BAR, which it did. But it was intended to be a Battle Rifle, first and foremost. I feel it did an excellent job of replacing the Garand which was its main purpose.

I have owned and/or fired everything on that list.....(except the Kel-Tec....and everything they build is cheep) many are fine weapons but none are in the class of my FN SCAR 17s. It is closely related to the FAL, (I have an original one of those too) but the upgrades have solved or improved on any perceived shortcoming. It is light, as accurate as a sniper rifle, very little recoil, quick change barrels of various lengths are easy, extremely slick, ambidextrous, adjustable folding stock unavailable on any of the others, piston drive with variable settings for different ammo and silencers, controls similar to the M4/M16 system, It is loved by the combat troops that have used it in the field. The only bad rap it gets in conversations like this is it's expensive. If you get a chance to handle or shoot one, try it out. Nothing compares and the company has the best available customer service.

An M60 is a very different weapon to an M14. I have hundreds (thousands?) of hrs on the M60. It is a pure machine gun derived from German WW2 weapons. It is large, heavy and belt fed either from a pintle or bipod mount. Quick change barrels and other features that make it a world class air cooled machine gun. M14's in full auto are not overly effective, even many M4's are being modified to a 3 shot burst option instead of full automatic fire. Full auto fire is best limited to specialized weapons like the SAW and similar systems.
its based off the FG42
1465.jpg

Just renewed my love affair with one of my Fals. It is a Cai imported inch pattern franken Fal that I ground the window peak feed ramp to get it to run and adapted a para kit. I just put a dsa para picatinny top rail cover on it and a red dot so I took her to the range to dial it in this weekend. It ran great and was stacking factory S&B and my reloads in tight and to the same point of aim. I didnt pay much for it originally and I am very happy the way it turned out. The only hiccup I have ever had with it after massaging the feed ramp was when I had a failure to feed about half way through a 20 rd mag only to discover it was a metric mag.o_O I have never fired a Scar but would like to put one through it's paces.

Re-reading all this hasn't changed my mind about the FAL/SLR. I 'spose that 54 years of shooting it just lets it get under your skin, eh?

tac

We tend to gravitate to different platforms based on preferences. I think you are better with a system you are very familiar with that you trust as opposed to a system that just doesn't float your boat.

IMO most if not all of the choices in the poll are good ones.

Yep, the Selector FSN 1005-587-8408 was normally(as if there is such a thing in the Military) originally issued to the Platoon Sargent. This pretty much stopped when the M-60 became available and the unit Armorer would then install the Selector as requested. I installed a number of them on Rifles(actually ALL of them) I provided to USMC units in the RVN. I did the same for the LRRP units who requested Rifles. I didn't have a problem with that.:):):)

Yup, I payed the armorer of the infantry unit that we were attached to a case of beer to install a selector switch on my M-14.
Then, during a short timers stint as the battery armorer, I removed the selector and....er.....if I was a bad boy I would have....um...kept it!
Hear, Hear!!! To friendly armorers everywhere, a toast!!! :D

This survey didn't include the Browning A-5 Full Auto version but then I don't think I would have voted for that either. Only fired one while I was at APG but once was enough, Thank You!

Re-reading all this hasn't changed my mind about the FAL/SLR. I 'spose that 54 years of shooting it just lets it get under your skin, eh?

tac

Yes indeed, we tend to like/love what we train with and carry everyday! Doesn't make them the best except to us. Unless of course it actually is the best, like the M-14!
54 years! Wow, Mr tac, you must be really old! ;)

I have had the chance to run EVERY battle rifle likely to be run across in modern times. With our doubt, the top 4 would be the best to have, own. I have also run all of tbem that had a selector switch, and none were all that great, most being hard to control and causing a lot of wear on bolt assemblies. The one that did impress me was the origional CETME in full auto, talk about mag dump, that sucker was a fire hose and pretty accurate once you figured out how to hold it! The FAL not so much, nor the M14!
I have a few FALs i have built from various kits over the years, and all are quite reliable, the DSA being the best factory version with all brand new parts and barrel. Most of the tricks and tuning is done at the factory, and it is scary accurate and bomb proof reliable! If you are looking for a FAL, the new DSAs are better then ever, what ever problems they had, they have sorted out and are making top quality rifles!

I have had the chance to run EVERY battle rifle likely to be run across in modern times. With our doubt, the top 4 would be the best to have, own. I have also run all of tbem that had a selector switch, and none were all that great, most being hard to control and causing a lot of wear on bolt assemblies. The one that did impress me was the origional CETME in full auto, talk about mag dump, that sucker was a fire hose and pretty accurate once you figured out how to hold it! The FAL not so much, nor the M14!
I have a few FALs i have built from various kits over the years, and all are quite reliable, the DSA being the best factory version with all brand new parts and barrel. Most of the tricks and tuning is done at the factory, and it is scary accurate and bomb proof reliable! If you are looking for a FAL, the new DSAs are better then ever, what ever problems they had, they have sorted out and are making top quality rifles!

I haven't fired an HK/CETME variant full auto or otherwise, but I have had the pleasure of shooting it's little cousin the MP5. Holy cow - unlike every other machine gun I've ever fired the MP5 just floats there! I know it's just a 9mm, but the balance of forces was done exceptionally well. Sounds like the CETME/PTR/HK is just as well balanced.

The bolt in hk91 is pretty substantial and yes you can feel it move even in semi auto. You must be able to really feel it moving in full auto I would think.

its based off the FG42
View attachment 398253[/
I haven't fired an HK/CETME variant full auto or otherwise, but I have had the pleasure of shooting it's little cousin the MP5. Holy cow - unlike every other machine gun I've ever fired the MP5 just floats there! I know it's just a 9mm, but the balance of forces was done exceptionally well. Sounds like the CETME/PTR/HK is just as well balanced.
the old German guy that owned the Barron's den outside of Eugene used to be the factory sales rep for the MP5. He liked and owned many class 3 weapons......said the MP5 was a POS but every law enforcement agency had to have some. I don't see many used by SPEC OPS any more either. We had some and played with them but in the end, our GAU-5's always got the job. In my years, even the secret service preferred the UZI.

We played with the MP-5s for a while, just to small a round. Switched to the 510 versions and ran them for several years, much more better! Ultimatly, the M-4 ended up being the standard, with M-14s added in! The big HK design did pretty well, but they get jambed up pretty quickly and need to field strip to clean the bolt and the chamber! The other thing I dont like about them is all that bolt mass really exacerbates recoil, and with a hard butt, it sucks! By contrast, the Springfields and FAL are pussycats, and the Garand is downright pleasant to shoot!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top