JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Who is the King of the 7.62x51 Hill?

• M1 Garand - Won The Big One, What More Do You Want?

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • M1A - Piston Perfection You Commie!

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • FAL - The Free World's Right Arm

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • HK G3/PTR-91 - Roller Delayed Blowback Perfection

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • AR-10/AR308 - The 60 Year Old FNG

Votes: 29 16.2%
  • I'll Stick With My 30-06 Springfield Boltie, Thank You

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Other - Please tell us what and why

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • 308 Galil - Keepin it Kosher

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • FN SCAR 17

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • Kel-Tec RFB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I feel OK about shooting .308 in my FAL. o_O

View attachment 403103

I think I'm also ok.:p

20171108_055030.jpg

Can we roll time back to about...2002-3 when ammo was cheap? I loved my .308s a lot more when it did not cost half an hour's wages to shoot one mag of decent generic stuff :eek:

South African milsurp was readily available and cheap. Even steel case stuff is not what I would call cheap these days. Would not feed an expensive .308 steel case...

I think my vote still goes to the HK91. Loved mine - really like shooting the HK style guns. Disassembly/cleaning is not as easy as my AR BUT I never had a malf in a normal shooting session with my FA91 - I have had more malfs from my ARs.

An M1A is on my list of lust-for guns, but the non Springfield variety are rarer and more expensive kicking that can further down the road.

I really like my FAL... Field stripping is easier than an AR. :rolleyes:

Why isn't the AR-10 or G3/PTR91 up in the 30s yet?

The G3 family surprises me quite a bit - I thought there would be a near three way tie between it, the FAL, and the M1A.

The AR-10 does not as many still worry about reliability. My only concern about the platform is that there is no standard when it comes to parts, where the FAL and G3 don't have that issue (metric vs inch not withstanding). I resolved that issue with getting spare parts before I need them. It is still a rifle that anyone with the tools can make repairs and replacements without an armorer.

I think the AR-10 Has come a long ways. Having a standardised configuration was always a major detractor, as it was difficult to get parts and correct mags. Now that there are a few that have standardised, things are a lot better, and the rifles design lends to great accuracy potential. Now for the aftermarket to run with the ball and start cranking out more stuff and i bet we see a major shift. I had a Stoner at one time, and when it did shoot through a full mag, it was scary accurate, but that was quite rare, most times it would only feed the first 2 or three and then mangle the next one and need stripped to clear and 're set. After a bunch of work and a ton spent on mags, i finally offed it, wasn't even a fun range toy! In would consider building a new one, but I just don't see a need that my other rifles don't all ready fill quite nicely!:)

I think the AR-10 Has come a long ways. Having a standardised configuration was always a major detractor, as it was difficult to get parts and correct mags. Now that there are a few that have standardised, things are a lot better, and the rifles design lends to great accuracy potential. Now for the aftermarket to run with the ball and start cranking out more stuff and i bet we see a major shift. I had a Stoner at one time, and when it did shoot through a full mag, it was scary accurate, but that was quite rare, most times it would only feed the first 2 or three and then mangle the next one and need stripped to clear and 're set. After a bunch of work and a ton spent on mags, i finally offed it, wasn't even a fun range toy! In would consider building a new one, but I just don't see a need that my other rifles don't all ready fill quite nicely!:)

Things have been pretty well worked out at this point. I'd suggest sticking to either of the DPMS patterns: Standard or short frame. The S&W M&P 10 is a great cost effective off the rack AR-10 that is lightweight, accurate, and reliable. My AR308 is a short frame and is also lightweight, accurate, and reliable. It's also a piston system and has 85% parts compatibility with an AR-15. Either rifle outfitted with BUIS, scope, loaded mag, and tripod is lighter than most of the other rifles in the poll before any of that is added.

Things have been pretty well worked out at this point. I'd suggest sticking to either of the DPMS patterns: Standard or short frame. The S&W M&P 10 is a great cost effective off the rack AR-10 that is lightweight, accurate, and reliable. My AR308 is a short frame and is also lightweight, accurate, and reliable. It's also a piston system and has 85% parts compatibility with an AR-15. Either rifle outfitted with BUIS, scope, loaded mag, and tripod is lighter than most of the other rifles in the poll before any of that is added.
I have been following your build/review thread on that rifle with great interest! Havnt decided yet if I'm going to build one, but I am considering it, and that's better then before where i wouldn't even touch one or recomend one to some one else! My brother has a DPMS he bought used from a guy that spent way too much on it, and it does run well. It's also the first and only one I have seen in .243 win, a d it drives tacks!!!

I own 4) 30-06 rifles
Sporterized M1917 Eddystone.
Restored to as issued Feb 1918 Springfield M1903
From CMP Springfield M-1 Garand
Tang Safety Red Butt Rugar M77

Both my son and son in law own Savage Model 111'c

Sorry no -06 shorts in the pile

I once owned a Spanish FR8 in 7.62 Nato....it was a great rifle...in a fit of insanity , I sold it...
Sure wish I had another one.
Mauser 98 action , accurate , excellent sights and very handy in length and weight...
Andy

I once owned a Spanish FR8 in 7.62 Nato....it was a great rifle...in a fit of insanity , I sold it...
Sure wish I had another one.
Mauser 98 action , accurate , excellent sights and very handy in length and weight...
Andy

The FR8 are indeed fine rifles. Time was they could be had at good rates too.

Parenthetically: for a spell, I had a Spanish M43, La Coruña marked, Mauser in 7.92mm Mauser. In a moment of silliness I traded it off. :(

M14 / M1A - Piston Perfection You Commie!
Don't forget the M21 and M25 sniper rifle systems (available from Springfield Armory with few changes from USGI versions) :cool:
For me though; because of having parts available, I would still say the AR10 variants... specifically the Ruger SR25, KAC M110, or the PSA PA-10, whichever has the most AR15 parts compatibility...

Don't forget the M21 and M25 sniper rifle systems (available from Springfield Armory with few changes from USGI versions) :cool:
For me though; because of having parts available, I would still say the AR10 variants... specifically the Ruger SR25, KAC M110, or the PSA PA-10, whichever has the most AR15 parts compatibility...

FWIW - the DPMS GII pattern rifles have 85% AR-15 parts compatibility, so DPMS GII, Adams (if you are a piston guy) and Remington in the AR-10 family.

The second easiest to replace parts on the list would be the FAL IMHO.

Hell, short of wearing out the rifling, no need to change the barrel. Headspace manages to open up? Swap out the locking shoulder. :rolleyes:

After "playing" with an ar10 (specifically aero precision m5e1 receivers, custom built rifle) thats what I want. Not as heavy as i thought it would be for how it was built. The owner uses it to hit steel out to 800+

As it stands... the PSA PA10 series or the DPMS 308 series are the most affordable US made 308 semi battle rifle... How common/affordable are the M14 parts though?
With 85% AR parts commonality, and with DPMS pattern parts.. it seems to be pretty easy to find parts for the PA10...

I am aware that there's only one set of specs for the M14/M1A but also there seems to be only one current manufacturer for whole M1A rifles....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top