JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Who is the King of the 7.62x51 Hill?

• M1 Garand - Won The Big One, What More Do You Want?

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • M1A - Piston Perfection You Commie!

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • FAL - The Free World's Right Arm

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • HK G3/PTR-91 - Roller Delayed Blowback Perfection

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • AR-10/AR308 - The 60 Year Old FNG

Votes: 29 16.2%
  • I'll Stick With My 30-06 Springfield Boltie, Thank You

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Other - Please tell us what and why

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • 308 Galil - Keepin it Kosher

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • FN SCAR 17

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • Kel-Tec RFB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May have a magwell that's bigger than the specs, normally inch pattern magazines need modification to fit in a metric FAL.

That or it was really an inch pattern receiver. o_O

I find the 308 vs 7.62 discussions trivial and stupid on there face. I have owned and shot maby 50 different rifles chambered in one or the other caliber, shot every one with either or both types of ammunition without any issue. If I am reloading, I develop loads with one case or the other to assist standardizing the load but there are as many differences between specific manufacturers case dimentions (within the same caliber) as the difference between military and civilian specifications. I can't think of a rifle chambered for a 7.62 that can't handle the extra breech pressure specified in the 308. In the old days, there was very hot 7.62 ammo designed for the M60......it was hotter than anything I ever fired in 308. We used it interchangeably in any other 7.62 rifle like an M14 or a FAL. The only rifle I ever remember having issues with was the AR10, They blew up so often that the Dutch troops it was issued to were afraid to take them to the range. (The reason I still cringe when I see the 7.62 AR clones being shot at the range) My factory FN FAL digests hunting soft point 308 ammo the same as hard ball, The SAMI specification is only a guide. There are larger differences between specific loadings that they call for between the 7.62 and 308.

Last Edited:
I believe there are safety issues with 308 vs military brass in my m1a and fn fals. Might be all in my head but with military rifles as such the heavier brass seems less susceptible to the slam of the heavy bolts. In a bolt rifle I do not believe the military brass is necessary.

Like I said, no issues in my FALs other then the missing $20 mystery. :rolleyes:

You're overthinking it, but I wouldn't reload .308 brass shot out of one, but I would still shoot .308.

Can't ad the graphic to my previous post, so here it is:
upload_2017-11-6_17-1-26.png

If you don't go above 175, which you wouldn't benefit from using in a battle rifle (imo) you won't into pressure problems.

People often forget that when the U.S measured chamber pressure for 7.62 NATO they used the CUP method. When using the same tests the pressure difference is small, enough to be insiginificant even. Its more of an issue of brass life than anything.

Again, none of my battle rifles ether stock or rebarreld have any issues running .308 win ammo, even very hot ammo, so I say this is mostly a moot issue now days! My N.M.Spec FAL has a .308 match'ish chamber with an extra heavy barrel contour all the way forward to the gas block. My M-1A N.M. is much the same, the BM-59, and finally my PSG-1 clone which are also chamberd in .308 win, all feed flawlessly no matter what's in the magazines! None show any signs of excessive pressures when running hot, so I keep on running them with .308!

So what I am hearing is don't worry about it using "factory" ammo. A 308 gun or a 762x51 same for ammo.

I find the 308 vs 7.62 discussions trivial and stupid on there face.

Never had any issues with any 7.62 NATO or .308 win in any of my rifles, and all run interchangabily with no need to adjust any thing!

However, when you go to reload, watch the cases.

seem right?

So what I am hearing is don't worry about it using "factory" ammo. A 308 gun or a 762x51 same for ammo.

However, when you go to reload, watch the cases.

seem right?
It depends on what I have, crimped primers can be a PIA but I do have the tool. If I am reloading say 100 rounds of hunting ammo i use whatever I have that much of the same brass for. I don't reload ball ammo, it is too cheep to buy. The primer crimp removing tool screws up a few pieces of brass every hundred or so rounds. But it is acceptable.

Last Edited:
Realistically, as said, you can shoot either one through the FAL or M14. Its a brass life issue at most.

The only issue is that it seems $20 goes missing everytime I have a box of .308, I never had that happen with 7.62x51! :eek: I only lose half that.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top