JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have to disagree. It's all in what you want and expect. Millions of guys have gotten by just fine for generations, loading smaller quantities to fit their needs on inexpensive, single stage presses. I used single stage presses for my first two decades of reloading, and turned out many, many thousands of rounds of perfectly good ammunition. I didn't spend $2,000 total on equipment in all those years.

If you're a heavy roller who burns through lots of ammo, and place high value on your time, then by all means go big. To each their own. There's nothing wrong with going small though, if that's all you need.
Guess I should have used the :D to indicate the tone of my response.

I honestly dont know how much it would cost me to replace what I have now in my reloading supplies and tools. I know as an enlisted sailor back in the late 80's I did not have a lot of money. I started off with an RCBS partner press, a scale, a set of 9mm dies and some components, not much else. I shot a lot of reloads since then. I had to rebuild my partner press and its still mounted on my bench - I used it for pulling bullets and priming brass. I have progressed a long way since then and dont remember the last time i bought store ammo, components yes.
I would rather tinker with reloading than watch TV on sundays so I get some enjoyment from it. I still do not see the need to dump 2K$ when I have plenty of other places for that money to go. Your milage may vary.

To answer OP's question, presuming you are serious about reloading and intend to stick with it;
Dillon 550C .223/5.56 package $891
RL 550C Essentials Kit
Dillon 550C Upgrade kit $187
RL 550C Machine Upgrade Kit (35002): bullet reloading
.300BO powder funnel $19 (use .223 conversion for shell plate and buttons)
9mm caliber conversion $53
9mm carbide Die set $75
(2) Extra toolheads and powder dies $86
Case trimmer $100
Harbor Fright workbench $150 ($129 on sale, $105 w/ coupon)
60 in. 4 Drawer Hardwood Workbench
Dillon tumbler and media separator $200
media $10
The Dillon reloading kits are an excellent package for new reloaders. Press, book, scale, calipers, etc. All good quality useful stuff you won't feel the need to upgrade in a month.
With nothing more than this I load 400-500 rounds an hour of 9mm, .40 or .45, and 1 moa-capable ammo for my T/C Contender pistol.

That is all the equipment you need to reload quality and quantity ammo. It is the upper end in some ways but I'm trying to use up your $2000. This totals about $1800 as is. Haunt the classifieds here and gun shows when they start again and cut the costs quite a bit.

Buy a single stage press and you will want to upgrade to a progressive in a month. :confused: A progressive can be ran like a single
stage. (SNIP) The Dillon by far is the most popular press. Big national pistol matches do a poll on type of press, guns, gear and ect. they use.
Dillon presses account for over 95% of the shooters.

USPSA Jan/Feb, Page 47 - Reloaders used stats took at the 2019 Nats.

IMG_1132.jpg
NOTE: The Mark7 only competes with the Dillon 1050/1100 and most are automated, so top $$, like $2k starting for just the machine. The new Mark7 coming out is $12-14k each.

Dive in whole hog. Get as much Dillon as you can afford. (SNIP)
If you find that the swimming pool had no water in it, you can dump your gear on here for 70-80% or better of what you paid.

Spot on. Top demand gear holds its value. Dillons used sell quickly and usually for top % of what they sold for new. BUT if you find you like it, that blue press will keep rocking for you. Yes, others call us Dillon Fan Boys, I am going to make a patch with that DFB and wear it proudly.

Don't bother buying all your dies at once. Start with the 9mm and learn with that. Then pick up the rifle calibers once you have 9mm going. Know used dies work like new dies, this is a hint to save you some $$. Lots of us that have been loading for a while end up somehow with multiples of the same calibers.

The whole "not worth loading 9mm" - I 100% disagree with. My home loaded competition-grade 9mm box of 50 commercial made equal is $24 a box that I load for $6.50 and my practice 9mm is $5 box.

If you have patience, like to take your time and making thousands a week is not needed, get a rcbs rock chucker supreme kit, a tumbler, and a few other little goodies and your on your way, a good sturdy bench is important.my preference is rcbs equipment

Why 9mm is worth loading: fresh off the press two nights ago. Just over 3k 124gn 9mm at a time there is no 9mm on the shelves. If I want 165gn or 147gn Subsonics? No problem those are "in stock" too for the prepared reloader.

IMG_9101.JPG

Several people have mentioned getting a pimped out Dillon xl750 but you can go without A LOT of the whoopty Doo stuff. My xl650 has maybe $700 into it, including tool heads and dies for 3 calibers. Loads just fine but (oh no!) I have to stop once in a while to manually add some cases to the hopper. For $2k, you can get a whole lotta bang in place of the bling

Several people have mentioned getting a pimped out Dillon xl750 but you can go without A LOT of the whoopty Doo stuff. My xl650 has maybe $700 into it, including tool heads and dies for 3 calibers. Loads just fine but (oh no!) I have to stop once in a while to manually add some cases to the hopper. For $2k, you can get a whole lotta bang in place of the bling

Just look at my post in #26. The Dillon 650 was used by over half of the entire field of competitors at the 2019 USPSA Nationals. If I did it all over a 650 is what I would start with.

Just look at my post in #26. The Dillon 650 was used by over half of the entire field of competitors at the 2019 USPSA Nationals. If I did it all over a 650 is what I would start with.

That's all well and good, but if you're not a competition shooter, who cares? Under normal circumstances, I'm lucky to get to the range once a week, if I'm shooting handguns, I might burn up 2-300 rounds, if it's rifles, it's probably less than 100, unless I'm rocking my Mini 14. Point is, most of us have no need to be able to crank out 500+ rounds an hour, so why spend a couple of grand on equipment that's way beyond your needs? Especially for someone just starting out, who may or may not decide it's something they want to get serious about?

For the amount of shooting I do, I probably still haven't hit the break even point vs. buying factory ammo, but I reload because I like it, it's something gun related I can do when I can't actually shoot. I've considered a progressive and a turret, but neither really makes sense for my needs. The Lee APP was actually a surprise, when I got it, my intent was to use it to swage a bucket full of crimped 5.56. Turns out it's an efficient little machine for loading pistol ammo, I get some of the benefits of an automated press like a progressive, while still keeping the simplicity of a single stage. Win win in my world, but I'm well aware that it wouldn't be everyone else's answer. But that's my point, neither is a Dillon. I don't care how good they are, I'd never recommend a progressive press for someone just starting out, just too many ways for things to go seriously sideways. Later.

Dave

I reloaded for maybe 20 years before I got my first progressive press. I started with an ancient Herters boat anchor, progressing to a Rock Chucker with a case kicker. I loaded an awful lot of ammo with that, got pretty quick with it.

I eventually acquired a Dillon 550. I've always been really cheap and would never have shelled out the money for it except it was part of an estate purchase and ended up costing me little or nothing. I'm not a competitive shooter so I don't use it a lot, but I recently finished loading several thousand rounds of .38 Special and it was indispensable for that. If I was a high-volume competitive shooter I would definitely upgrade to a Dillon 650. For the relatively low-volume recreational shooting that I do, I really don't even need the 550.

That's all well and good, but if you're not a competition shooter, who cares? Under normal circumstances, I'm lucky to get to the range once a week, if I'm shooting handguns, I might burn up 2-300 rounds, if it's rifles, it's probably less than 100, unless I'm rocking my Mini 14. Point is, most of us have no need to be able to crank out 500+ rounds an hour, so why spend a couple of grand on equipment that's way beyond your needs? Especially for someone just starting out, who may or may not decide it's something they want to get serious about?

For the amount of shooting I do, I probably still haven't hit the break even point vs. buying factory ammo, but I reload because I like it, it's something gun related I can do when I can't actually shoot. I've considered a progressive and a turret, but neither really makes sense for my needs. The Lee APP was actually a surprise, when I got it, my intent was to use it to swage a bucket full of crimped 5.56. Turns out it's an efficient little machine for loading pistol ammo, I get some of the benefits of an automated press like a progressive, while still keeping the simplicity of a single stage. Win win in my world, but I'm well aware that it wouldn't be everyone else's answer. But that's my point, neither is a Dillon. I don't care how good they are, I'd never recommend a progressive press for someone just starting out, just too many ways for things to go seriously sideways. Later.

Dave

Dave - If this post started with "Best $300 to start loading" I would be in your corner with the Lee APP. But with $2k the OP has the capital to start with a strong able to grow with him system that has a solid built in parachute (pop smoke and sell off easy).

All progressive presses work just fine as a single stage to learn. Then when the new loader is ready to grab a the next gear - its good to go vrs. Buying the next machine.

As for recouping the cost of the equipment? Always remember the value it has as an asset. As long as it holds value you only are trying to "recuperate" the depreciated value. Why I have love the Dillon gear, it holds its value and is easy to sell if one wanted to let it go. Same thing for your Lee APP, new its selling for $75 so what it would sell for used is still an asset value. $ in the bank if sold. ;) Later.

I have been loading for 40 years and shoot more than most and not as much as some. I have never saw the need for a progressive press. If you are shooting a couple hundred rounds or more a week I could see the need but otherwise a single stage or a turret will fill your needs. Of course I enjoy the process and don't mind investing the time to make quality ammo. I am sure there are others who enjoy shooting but not the loading so much or don't have the time to invest in loading and would rather just crank the ammo out. That would be another justification for a progressive press. As in all these types of threads my advice is the same, buy a good single stage first and learn the ropes. Let your experience dictate further purchases, the single stage will always be useful no matter what other presses occupy your bench. You can get going for well under $2000.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads