JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm sure it didn't need to be said, but thought that it could be helpful as an example:

Re-wind the clock. Last year a colleague of mine wasn't a rabid anti-gun person, but he definitely would be someone who would make statements like "I understand the second amendment, but" or "why does anybody need X." I had taken him out to the range one time before and it was enjoyable for him to get to experience things he mostly had only ever heard the media vilify, but he still wasn't all that convinced that he needed to own them personally or that it was needed by others. Fast forward to now and with some patient counseling, he has recently purchased 2 pistols and 2 AR lowers, pending 2 uppers and is excited to go train accordingly. Having people rioting in the streets near where he lives and seeing the police being unable to quell it, or politically have their hands tied to stop it, made a quick believer out of him. We have had many conversations lately and I have helped fix many misconceptions that he had that were primarily incorrect informational points promoted by bias media and political agendas, for example how AR = Assault rifle, but actually it refers to Armalite Rifle which first licensed the design for civilian sale 60 or so years go, being one of the many misconceptions.

It could have been very easy for me to have the "I told you so," attitude, but who would that have helped? It would have probably alienated him further from what could become a great enlightenment for him. Now we have some range time planned and I am encouraging him to avoid buying all the typical tactical crap that comes along typically with new firearm owners.

He and his wife represent what have become millions of Americans who have gone out and bought firearms with the intent to defend themselves if necessary from violence and I believe we should all take an extra breath and practice some extra patience if we have the opportunity to help steer these people in the right direction without being butt heads about it.

Now that being said, I am not referring to those people who have the thought process to overthrow our capitalist system and the many inherent freedoms that come with it. I don't have anything nice to say about those people and will abstain from sharing my full opinion out of respect for forum rules.

Have a great day everyone!

I don't know?

It's a miracle they have the right to even change there minds.
After decades of trying to take our guns away!

OK.
Many if I'm paid reparations? :D

Agreed hypocrites can be very irritating, but having potentially millions more people who might think twice when a politician says they want to ban/restrict the very things they just went out and bought. This is a major win for the gun rights industry over the course of the longterm game.

Agreed hypocrites can be very irritating, but having potentially millions more people who might think twice when a politician says they want to ban/restrict the very things they just went out and bought. This is a major win for the gun rights industry over the course of the longterm game.

I wish I could count on that.

The truth is just as likely that when the storm passes they will return to there insane views on guns.

Hope they've experienced a newfound sense of safety, empowerment and freedom that comes with owning a gun (indeed they are safer). Be sure they understand how much anti-gun legislation is proposed, and unfortunately passed, each year, which legislators are responsible, and how important it is to vote for the right people lest their newfound freedom be taken away.

The truth is just as likely that when the storm passes they will return to there insane views on guns.

Some will, some won't - some of which will probably depend on how well they are enlightened. So far from what I have observed in my immediate circle - the hardcore anti-gun types haven't bought anything, just the fence sitters. If it is an ideology issue, can't reconcile that, but many people have just been very willingly ignorant, and those are the people where progress can be made.

Thanks for sharing and to the OP's point, the goal is to have them hang around us long enough that they may just make the leap to our side. If we act like the rude jackwagon at the gun store it certainly won't help us and we'd be contributing to our own demise.

Like Mom used to say, if you don't have anything nice to say...don't say it.

Been seein a lot of noobs in the local gun shops lately, most have the decency to ask questions and not rely on U-toob or twitter for their learnin!
Some are kinda scary, but most of the ones I have seen seem to be normal folk who were probably not against firearms, just never thought they would need them till now!

Good buddy of mine fits this. Grew up with out firearms, didn't have an opinion one way or another, and seemed to generally support gun ownership, but never felt the need to own anything him self! About a year ago, he got woke to the realities of the real world we live in, and decided he might wanna embrace gun ownership, having seen just how thin the line between civil and lawless can be! He started asking questions and doing tons of research and decided which way he thought he might want to go! Happy to say, he kept his mind, eyes and ears open, and he has fully embraced his self preservation!

I've also had 3 separate guys I know come to me asking advice on what to buy...Be the guy/girl that remains open to the conversation and encourage them along the way. Maybe even offer to work with them if you feel secure enough to teach/train them.

As of now 2 have purchased firearms for the first time and I'm going with the third to introduce him to my LGS as he lives close to me, I'd say that's progress.

Before or after getting the pistol?

After.

Wife was very anti gun. (Grew up a military brat, brother in the AF)

Changed her mind to allow him a pellet rifle after $900 in squirrel damage to their house when they moved to Indiana for a short time.

Eventually agreed to let him get an M&P.

Only gun he has or will have (I've tried to get him into a shotgun or .22 anything), son has a bunch of nerf guns.

Yes, I sent him links as to why to vote no before the election and pushed as much as possible but can't make someone vote a certain way.

"Do you think Assault Rifles should be regulated?" Was an incredibly dishonest way to put the information on that bill in the voter ballot.

Even criminal imo.

I've taken him to ranges and made sure he knows how to shoot it safely.

I'd like to add.that while I think that a lot of these new to guns people will forget about their new 2nd Amendment convictions in time (just like I think a lot of people will forget that it's probably a good idea to keep more then a weeks worth of TP in the house)I have never been anything other then a fountain of information to all the people that have ever expressed an interest in firearms and have taught more then I can count to shoot and have given advice and instruction on first purchases.

You can't be around me for long and not know I'm pro gun.

You can lead a donkey to water etc.

Thanks for sharing and to the OP's point, the goal is to have them hang around us long enough that they may just make the leap to our side. If we act like the rude jackwagon at the gun store it certainly won't help us and we'd be contributing to our own demise.

Like Mom used to say, if you don't have anything nice to say...don't say it.

My grandpa says that too, he's also the quietest guy I know :D

Buddy has a pistol for HD.

He and his wife both voted yes on I-1639:confused:
Before or after getting the pistol?
Picard_facepalm.jpg

Sadly many will. Look at countries like the UK as an example. Look what they have been through and still the people who vote are content with no guns. I fully expect that many who ran out and bought a first gun will in short order decide again no one should have one. It's a mental disorder, the belief that the people who made this mess will fix it if they are voted for again.
Co worker used to joke that if he was ever in a situation where he was in some place where he had a gun and the bad people where outside he would ask any inside the safety with him. "Who here was for no guns?" Anyone who said yes would be shown the door and told to fend for themselves. :D
I do have to hope at least in the short term this police state crap will get a lot more people to think and vote this November. Now that they have seen so many in power blatantly show them how they really feel.

After.

Wife was very anti gun. (Grew up a military brat, brother in the AF)

Changed her mind to allow him a pellet rifle after $900 in squirrel damage to their house when they moved to Indiana for a short time.

Eventually agreed to let him get an M&P.

Only gun he has or will have (I've tried to get him into a shotgun or .22 anything), son has a bunch of nerf guns.

Yes, I sent him links as to why to vote no before the election and pushed as much as possible but can't make someone vote a certain way.

"Do you think Assault Rifles should be regulated?" Was an incredibly dishonest way to put the information on that bill in the voter ballot.

Even criminal imo.

I've taken him to ranges and made sure he knows how to shoot it safely.

To me this seems like the larger problem of who he is married to / needing stones to lay down the law. There are a lot of unhappy men in this country being bossed around by a lot of (seemingly) tyrannical women. First wife wanted to be like that, I traded her in for a higher quality model, not having any kids or money at the time, made it much easier though, so there's that. Current wife came into the picture knowing the she'd go before guns did, and she's been an occasional range buddy of mine since day 1. Very lucky IMO, although I wen't through hell before I got to be lucky.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top