JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do know of some some forum members that have tried to peddle this garbage in the classifieds, rather than pursuing a resolution from Federal.
Yeah, I wouldn't do that. I'd never pass on junk to someone else without full disclosure.

I just dug through all my stash of .22 LR ammo, and I guess I don't have any more of the 800 rounds boxes. I have several 1100 round boxes, some 550s, and a couple of the big buckets of Remington Golden Bullets. The bulk Remington stuff hasn't been that bad, for me. Not great by any means, but not terrible.

Good thread and thx for the heads up. I had previously heard the value pack stuff (not champion) was bad (see pic below).

I have had excellent luck with federal champion. Inexpensive, very reliable, pretty accurate, clean burning. For bulk federal supersonic ammo I look for the word "champion" on the box (federal automatch is good also fwiw).

I assume this is the 800 pack that is the problem?
CC96FE1F-B770-4683-BE49-C460231DFDEE.jpeg

Not to be confused with the champion BYOB 800 round tub:
D46ACF8D-2117-4ECD-807B-BF25C3443565.jpeg
Value pack stuff I heard is bad:
9380FCA8-8F35-4501-A945-96245A93C8CA.jpeg
Not to be confused with the champion value pack:
640C2ED1-727A-49ED-8260-6FF635BF7E4A.jpeg

I could be wrong, but I think it's more likely to run into specific lots that are bad, rather than specific types. I did have some Automatch a while back that frequently jammed, short cycled. We could hear the difference, like some were severely underpowered. It was one box, and I've never had that trouble with others.

Everyone seems to hate Remington Thunderbolt ammo, but it's been OK for us. I don't shoot it for accuracy, but for shooting tin cans and clay targets off the 25 yard berm it does fine. I don't doubt that there have been lots that were terrible, but what I've had wasn't bad. I remember seeing it for $15/500 maybe three years ago. Bi-Mart had shelves full of it a couple weeks ago, but it was $35/500, too much for me.

I could be wrong, but I think it's more likely to run into specific lots that are bad, rather than specific types. I did have some Automatch a while back that frequently jammed, short cycled. We could hear the difference, like some were severely underpowered. It was one box, and I've never had that trouble with others.

Everyone seems to hate Remington Thunderbolt ammo, but it's been OK for us. I don't shoot it for accuracy, but for shooting tin cans and clay targets off the 25 yard berm it does fine. I don't doubt that there have been lots that were terrible, but what I've had wasn't bad. I remember seeing it for $15/500 maybe three years ago. Bi-Mart had shelves full of it a couple weeks ago, but it was $35/500, too much for me.
Yea one also has to wonder if they change formulations (or maybe suppliers?) of priming compound and/or powders as time goes on. I havent shot thunderbolt for ages but back when I shot it many years ago it was not good. I have also heard reports that the newer thunderbolt is a lot better. I know I bought some rem golden bullets fairly recently and I expected it to be garbage but it wasn't that bad reliability wise. Very dirty ammo though imo.

My boys and I went out to the range again this afternoon, did some .22 shooting again. We shot some of this Federal ammo through a couple Ruger single action revolvers. I shot a few cylinder through a chronograph too. My velocity predictions were way off. Velocities were 700 to 1000 fps. About half were around 950fps, with others dipping down to 700, and one squib made a little "pop", and the bullets literally bounced off of the chronograph, nearly hit me (though it was so slow it wouldn't have hurt).

We shot a couple hundred rounds, and around one in twenty was a squib. In the short handgun barrel they didn't get stuck. I tried them through the Marlin 60 again, and the Ruger Standard, with poor results. I had some Winchester 333 ammo, and aside from no squibs it wasn't that much better.

I took along some of this too, the Black Pack 1600 round stuff from several years ago, and it's awesome. Zero malfunctions in either gun, shoots like a million bucks. It reminds me of Mini-Mags. I wish I'd bought more.
IMG_2874[1].jpg

Federal did email me back, asked for more info and how much I paid for it. Being honest, I told them (less than you can buy anything for now). They've offered to send a shipping label to mail it back to them, and a check for what I paid. I said I'd send it back, but preferred if they could simply replace it, as it's available on their site.

No big deal either way. It makes OK enough plinking ammo for revolvers, or I'll send it back.

I didn't try it in the TX22 pistol. I should have, because it seems to be a little more tolerant of junk ammo than the Ruger Standard. @Reno, has this been your experience? My old Standard has functioned very reliability for the last 35 or so years, with good ammo, but in recent years it's occasionally choked on bulk ammo. This 800rnd Federal ammo and Winchester 333 is some of the worst. I can't get through one magazine without a jam. I've been enjoying shooting revolvers more recently, so that's probably a good thing. :)

My boys and I went out to the range again this afternoon, did some .22 shooting again. We shot some of this Federal ammo through a couple Ruger single action revolvers. I shot a few cylinder through a chronograph too. My velocity predictions were way off. Velocities were 700 to 1000 fps. About half were around 950fps, with others dipping down to 700, and one squib made a little "pop", and the bullets literally bounced off of the chronograph, nearly hit me (though it was so slow it wouldn't have hurt).

We shot a couple hundred rounds, and around one in twenty was a squib. In the short handgun barrel they didn't get stuck. I tried them through the Marlin 60 again, and the Ruger Standard, with poor results. I had some Winchester 333 ammo, and aside from no squibs it wasn't that much better.

I took along some of this too, the Black Pack 1600 round stuff from several years ago, and it's awesome. Zero malfunctions in either gun, shoots like a million bucks. It reminds me of Mini-Mags. I wish I'd bought more.
View attachment 1216300

Federal did email me back, asked for more info and how much I paid for it. Being honest, I told them (less than you can buy anything for now). They've offered to send a shipping label to mail it back to them, and a check for what I paid. I said I'd send it back, but preferred if they could simply replace it, as it's available on their site.

No big deal either way. It makes OK enough plinking ammo for revolvers, or I'll send it back.

I didn't try it in the TX22 pistol. I should have, because it seems to be a little more tolerant of junk ammo than the Ruger Standard. @Reno, has this been your experience? My old Standard has functioned very reliability for the last 35 or so years, with good ammo, but in recent years it's occasionally choked on bulk ammo. This 800rnd Federal ammo and Winchester 333 is some of the worst. I can't get through one magazine without a jam. I've been enjoying shooting revolvers more recently, so that's probably a good thing. :)
Yes the TX22 does pretty well with the worst of 22 ammo.

I have heard of others having problems with the fed 1100 rnd bulk pack black pack 22lr ammo. The 1600rnd black packs were highly reviewed. I have one of the 800rnd blue packs from bimart but I haven't tried shooting any of it yet.
That was exactly my experience. The 1600 rd packs were great, so I bought the 1100 ones the next year, and it seemed like the priming was pretty spotty. Never had the big velocity variations y'all are seeing, but there were an awful lot of rounds that wouldn't go bang even with very strong ignition systems.

I have several guns that seem to prefer the thunderbolt over everything else. I know a lot of people hate the stuff, but it always seems to work for me.

I purchase every brand of .22 I can find and test fire 60 rounds through a Ruger sr22 semi pistol.

Federal 800 ct (year old box) 3 failures out of 60
Thunderbolt (3 month old box) zero failures

Worst so far is Sellier and Bellot 15 failures

What's the lot number and did you call Federal to report your experience?
This is a serious and hazardous safety issue. Along with Federal (which is just a brand name -- Vista Outdoor is the manufacturer) you should notify the Consumer Products Safety Commission (which in turn may redirect you to another agency since it's ammo).

I have several guns that seem to prefer the thunderbolt over everything else. I know a lot of people hate the stuff, but it always seems to work for me.
Minus the fact that it often has spreads of up to 500 feet per second, the stuff can be extremely accurate if you get 10 in a row that are loaded similarly. I've punched 1 hole groups with the stuff before. Often times it will be 5-6 in one hole with a crazy flyer or two.

This is a serious and hazardous safety issue. Along with Federal (which is just a brand name -- Vista Outdoor is the manufacturer) you should notify the Consumer Products Safety Commission (which in turn may redirect you to another agency since it's ammo).
Why don't you notify the commission? I'm not even the OP on this thread.

Last Edited:
As noted, there was a previous thread on this: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/federal-800-rd-range-packs.400632/

I have a bad batch of this ammo, I now use it for malfunction training on my Mk IV. I have not had a squib (yet??) just underpowered charges and failures to eject/feed. My lot # for those interested is F056U03.
Good to know. From your lot number it looks like yours might be older than mine. They've offered to either send me a check for what I paid, or replace it.

I'm thinking I'll take their offer for replacement since 22 ammo is still hard to find. Hopefully current production is better, maybe…

When buying cheap and stacking deep goes wrong.

We buy a lot, then it sits, and when it is time to shoot it, it could be a bad batch not due to age but QC.

When buying cheap and stacking deep goes wrong.

We buy a lot, then it sits, and when it is time to shoot it, it could be a bad batch not due to age but QC.
I have found this to be true with cci blazer. The same ammo worked great originally. Then I tried it many years later and it was attrocious. Some of them sounded like a cap gun going off, wild variations in velocity, tons of duds, etc. They were two unopened bricks from the same batch as the ones that shot well when they were new. I'm not saying this is the issue with the federal ones in this thread, but 22 ammo does not age or take jostling around well IMO.

I'm glad I've picked up a fair amount of CCI Mini-mag ammo over the years. It's good to have some solid, reliable ammo once in a while. I don't shoot really high volume like some of you all, mostly just plinking with my kids. I tend to pick up bulk packs, whatever is available at a good price. I've had pretty good luck, with a few exceptions. It seems that once in a while I've gotten a bad lot, and it's been Winchester, Federal, Remington, no real pattern that I can remember.

Speaking of old ammo, I have several bricks of who knows how old Winchester .22lr ammo, the old 500 round bricks of Wildcat and Super-X. I've shot a few in recent times, but mostly have been saving them out of nostalgia. I remember shooting a lot of it in boxes exactly like this back in the 1980's. It was sure-fire as I remember. I should take a couple boxes out again and shoot them.

Follow up post: Federal sent a return label, and I shipped them back over a week ago. I decided to take a chance on replacement ammo, figuring that since this product line had so much trouble in the past, hopefully they've made improvements by now. I received the two replacement boxes a couple days ago.

We ran out to the range this afternoon, shot a hundred rounds or so, and the good news is that it shot great! We shot multiple magazines through both the TX22 and the old Ruger Standard: zero malfunctions! That's significantly better than the Winchester "333" packs that I picked up at Bi-Mart a few weeks ago.

Follow up post: Federal sent a return label, and I shipped them back over a week ago. I decided to take a chance on replacement ammo, figuring that since this product line had so much trouble in the past, hopefully they've made improvements by now. I received the two replacement boxes a couple days ago.

We ran out to the range this afternoon, shot a hundred rounds or so, and the good news is that it shot great! We shot multiple magazines through both the TX22 and the old Ruger Standard: zero malfunctions! That's significantly better than the Winchester "333" packs that I picked up at Bi-Mart a few weeks ago.
I like hearing about it when some Co stands behind the stuff they sell. Its always a bummer to get a bad anything but, it means a lot to me when I read that the Co makes the customer happy again. Too many seem to take the attitude of we got your money, go away. Glad they stood behind what they sold.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top