JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We went to the range yesterday, shot some .22 rifles and pistols. My old Marlin model 60 started malfunctioning badly. I realized quickly that it was the ammo- BANG, BANG, pow, pop, BANG, ptoo... that last one sounded like a BB gun and I could actually see the bullet hit the target. I should have stopped there but I was curious. Our range trip was cut short when one stopped in the barrel. Fortunately I didn't fire another one behind it.

The ammo was a sealed, unopened Federal Range Pack, 800 rounds. I have at least two of the same lot, purchased at Bi-Mart a year or two ago as I recall.

I was told a while back that in times of high demand for a product, manufacturing workers often get substantial bonuses for meeting production goals, so a lot of junk slips through that ordinarily wouldn't.

I have heard of others having problems with the fed 1100 rnd bulk pack black pack 22lr ammo. The 1600rnd black packs were highly reviewed. I have one of the 800rnd blue packs from bimart but I haven't tried shooting any of it yet.

F057U01 - I contacted them online, will be curious to hear what they say. Their warranty says one year and original receipt required. I'm pretty sure it's been longer, and I didn't keep the receipt, but ammo this bad is dangerous.

F057U01 - I contacted them online, will be curious to hear what they say. Their warranty says one year and original receipt required. I'm pretty sure it's been longer, and I didn't keep the receipt, but ammo this bad is dangerous.
Glad to read that disaster was averted and all is safe on your end. Even if you're out of warranty and without a receipt, it's still good for them to get it logged. Feel free to share the lot number here with us as I have 3 sealed boxes of the same stuff.

If you need a volunteer to take it off your hands, let me know.

If Federal won't do something about it, it will be revolver-only ammo. The squib that lodged in the barrel made it most of the way down a rifle barrel, so they should be OK in a short barrel. At least 50% failed to cycle the bolt on my old Ruger Standard. This batch has a very high percentage of failure. Next time I go out, I'll shoot some over a chronograph. My prediction for a velocity string would be something along the lines of: 1200, 1100, 500, 1150, 150, 400, 800, 1200, 300, 850, 500, etc.. You get the picture.

I have a couple more of the same ammo around here somewhere, bought at a different time so presumable a different lot. I'll have to dig them out and make sure they're OK.

I have often wondered when we had these panic's going on about would QA "slip" when a plant was going all out to try to keep up. Scary. I will be VERY interested to see if you hear back from Federal and if they offer to try to make this right for you. I sure hope they do. Surely they know a LOT of us have ammo sitting at home for years because we prepared. What a bummer it would be to go to start using it and find out bad stuff slipped past the quality control people. :(

I bought two boxes of the Federal black bulk pack 2-3 years ago. It was filthy and was less than consistent in all semi-autos [pistol and rifle] for me. Still have some but relegate it to the grandsons, with a warning. I figure paying attention to the report and cycling is part of their shooting education. They are old enough that experience is a better teacher than Papa yapping at them. ;)

I bought several of the Black Pack 1600 round boxes, the kind with the 50-round white boxes inside the cardboard boxes. I got it on a black Friday sale at Bi-Mart. After the rebate it was less than 3c/rnd IIRC. It's been great ammo, shot very well. I've also got a bunch of the 550 round boxes, and they seemed to shoot OK as I recall.

If Federal won't do something about it, it will be revolver-only ammo. The squib that lodged in the barrel made it most of the way down a rifle barrel, so they should be OK in a short barrel. At least 50% failed to cycle the bolt on my old Ruger Standard. This batch has a very high percentage of failure. Next time I go out, I'll shoot some over a chronograph. My prediction for a velocity string would be something along the lines of: 1200, 1100, 500, 1150, 150, 400, 800, 1200, 300, 850, 500, etc.. You get the picture.

I have a couple more of the same ammo around here somewhere, bought at a different time so presumable a different lot. I'll have to dig them out and make sure they're OK.
Hand gun ammo?
One of the fellows I shoot with reported seeing a bullet imbedded in a cardboard target backer. Also some squibs have been reported.
Bullet was fired from a Ruger target pistol.
I have not yet heard how Federal is moving forward to get the problem resolved.
I do know of some some forum members that have tried to peddle this garbage in the classifieds, rather than pursuing a resolution from Federal.
😔😔😔
Best,
Gary

I bought several of the Black Pack 1600 round boxes, the kind with the 50-round white boxes inside the cardboard boxes. I got it on a black Friday sale at Bi-Mart. After the rebate it was less than 3c/rnd IIRC. It's been great ammo, shot very well. I've also got a bunch of the 550 round boxes, and they seemed to shoot OK as I recall.
I'm down to my last two unopened 1600 round cases. After rebate they were $29.95 total. I needed a hand truck to unload my car! My boys were too young then but I knew they'd eventually use it up. I think that'll be some time later this year.

I'm down to my last two unopened 1600 round cases. After rebate they were $29.95 total. I needed a hand truck to unload my car! My boys were too young then but I knew they'd eventually use it up. I think that'll be some time later this year.
Sorry, I should have been more clear.
The ammo I am referring to would appear to be produced in the last 6-7 months.
Best, Gary

I believe there were reports of the 800 round blue box having issues a few months ago. I have one in inventory, but I'm going to be cautious when I use it.

Never had another problem with Federal/Blazer/CCI 22 ammo. I have thousands of rounds of the Black Pack 1600 round boxes from Bi-mart black Friday years ago and each one has fired for me so far.

Interested to hear if and how Federal responds.

I believe there were reports of the 800 round blue box having issues a few months ago. I have one in inventory, but I'm going to be cautious when I use it.

Never had another problem with Federal/Blazer/CCI 22 ammo. I have thousands of rounds of the Black Pack 1600 round boxes from Bi-mart black Friday years ago and each one has fired for me so far.

Interested to hear if and how Federal responds.
You are correct. The only reports I have gotten, reference the 800 round (range pack) I think.
Best,
Gary

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews