JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With the continuing ammunition shortage, reloading component shortage, and pending legislation, I've been thinking about the fragility of the supply chain and our dependency on specific items to keep ammunition available. While completed ammunition is currently harder to come by so are reloading components such as primers. If the government cracked down on any number of ammunition components, it could effectively end availability to the masses. For instance, if primer availability was constricted, it would impact both completed ammunition and reloading markets. Is there a way to remove dependencies on these individual items? How could we ensure ammunition availability in the long term? Even if you reload and cast your own bullets, how many make their own cases or primers? Looking at muzzle loaders, how many people make their own powder or percussion caps? How far do we have to go before we can work around the supply restrictions? When do we start making our own bows, strings, and arrows? If they regulate specific items, it doesn't matter the types of guns and magazines you have because they will be rendered useless in time. 3D printed guns still need ammunition. High power air rifles still need projectiles and specialty pressurized tanks. Maybe I should start stock piling sharpened sticks.

I'd say you should go read more in the reloading section.

If ammo is becoming impossible to find that when the black markets will start supplying ammo and that's when I start designing and building firearms and munitions.

I think this concept has been thought of before, so I'm pretty sure I'm not giving the government any new ideas.

While I don't currently reload because I have some stuff stocked up, I've been thinking of buying some basic tools, which is actually what started me down this road. It seems there is always a choke point. What's the best way to avoid these choke points? If legislation was enacted today that disallowed or heavily restricted key components, and allowed to stay on the books, how long before the average citizen would become ammunition starved? 5 years before shooting was essentially a niche activity? 20 years? There's all sorts of plans on how to create sustainable farming and ensure a continued water supply, but what about ammunition? Or do we resort to spears and swords in the long term.

Unless you live in a tiny house, most people have room to store a lot of primers and a fair amount of powder. If you store only those items and maybe a die set for your most frequently used cartridges, you will be way ahead of the game when/if a reloading component crackdown comes. You can trade some of your primers and powder for the other items and equipment you will need to start reloading.

Youtube channel called "Codys Lab" one of his first videos is of him making a sort of "salt peter" from hay and urine (I believe)

There is another channel that hasnt had the video taken down.. but he takes strike anywhere match powder and refills primers. Of course he warns that it is VERY unstable and accidents can and will happen. But it can be done.

With the continuing ammunition shortage, reloading component shortage, and pending legislation, I've been thinking about the fragility of the supply chain and our dependency on specific items to keep ammunition available. While completed ammunition is currently harder to come by so are reloading components such as primers. If the government cracked down on any number of ammunition components, it could effectively end availability to the masses. For instance, if primer availability was constricted, it would impact both completed ammunition and reloading markets. Is there a way to remove dependencies on these individual items? How could we ensure ammunition availability in the long term? Even if you reload and cast your own bullets, how many make their own cases or primers? Looking at muzzle loaders, how many people make their own powder or percussion caps? How far do we have to go before we can work around the supply restrictions? When do we start making our own bows, strings, and arrows? If they regulate specific items, it doesn't matter the types of guns and magazines you have because they will be rendered useless in time. 3D printed guns still need ammunition. High power air rifles still need projectiles and specialty pressurized tanks. Maybe I should start stock piling sharpened sticks.
The ghetto in WWII Warsaw Poland had like five rounds so I wouldn't go getting all worked up in a tiz just yet.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top