JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With all due respect...This "what defines a mass killing" is a useless debate. One, two, four, five, twenty-five injured or killed? Doesn't matter, if that one or two were yours. Shouldn't matter if those four or five weren't yours.
There is no actual standard definition of mass murder. This came up when Oregon's attorney was cross-examining me as an expert witness in the federal court challenge to Measure 114.

The definition of mass shooting was invented by gun control groups and is generally settled on 4 or more victims defined by the Gun Violence Archive (a gun control group). The media widely accepts and uses this as a standard.
The suspect in the Mississippi shootings killed 6 people in his rampage so Im curious why that story never occupied the headlines, per GVAs definition.

I agree the number is arbitrary and doesnt matter or help resolve the motives behind these killings.

The definition of mass shooting was invented by gun control groups and is generally settled on 4 or more victims defined by the Gun Violence Archive (a gun control group). The media widely accepts and uses this as a standard.
The suspect in the Mississippi shootings killed 6 people in his rampage so Im curious why that story never occupied the headlines, per GVAs definition.

I agree the number is arbitrary and doesnt matter or help resolve the motives behind these killings.
Several different agencies have somewhat independently created their own definitions. 4 seems to be the most widely accepted definition in close temporal proximity. If more than a day elapsed they are a serial murderer.

Even one murder is a tragedy. Public mass murders get big media attention because the dying legacy media are click-whores.

Several different agencies have somewhat independently created their own definitions. 4 seems to be the most widely accepted definition in close temporal proximity. If more than a day elapsed they are a serial murderer.
I take issue that our own government has accepted a standard/definition that was invented and propagated by a political group... but its too late to rant about that anymore.
If it takes more than a day then Im more curious why the media hasnt made a big deal of the Mississippi shootings which killed 6. That story surfaced barely then disappeared.

It's called mass "shooter"

Look them up, the overwhelming majority of these Guy's were encouraged through a soft on crime woke agenda.

Look them up individually on wikipedia.

It's a theme.

We're up at least 94 mass shooting and 6800 dead from gunfire this year so far according to this moron. I swear these clowns crap out what ever number rolls around in their pea brains first.

2:48 min...

Whenever there is a school or other spree killer event, they pile on the "xxx mass shootings this year" and bang the drum for more laws their criminal constituents will ignore. They can do this because they defined mass shooting as any event where 4 or more were hit. So a few spree shootings are lumped in with hundreds of gang shootings to sway public opinion. A lie by omission

I researched a few of these shootings on Wikipedia, none of the guns were found to have committed violence.

🤔
Not one of those guns had ever been arrested before. They chose to associate with violent criminals instead of the other 99% of gun owners. Maybe someone should make a law prohibiting people with police records from getting hold of innocent guns … oh wait, never mind

With all due respect...This "what defines a mass killing" is a useless debate. One, two, four, five, twenty-five injured or killed? Doesn't matter, if that one or two were yours. Shouldn't matter if those four or five weren't yours.
However the people who insist that violence is because of guns instead of violent criminals use it to lie to the voters. Perverting the truth is not the way to actually solve the violence problem. If they solve the real problem instead of the imaginary problem fewer actual killings happen. Does that clarify?

However the people who insist that violence is because of guns instead of violent criminals use it to lie to the voters. Perverting the truth is not the way to actually solve the violence problem. If they solve the real problem instead of the imaginary problem fewer actual killings happen. Does that clarify?
If they solve the problem, what are they going to run on in the future?

I take issue that our own government has accepted a standard/definition that was invented and propagated by a political group...
I don't believe you are completely correct. The FBI adopted a standard definition in order to be able to keep statistics about such things. I don't know it for a fact, but I suspect the gun control groups adopted the FBI definition rather than the other way around. If you can provide references to the contrary, I would be very interested.

But when all is said and done, what difference does it make which arbitrary number is adopted as a standard as long as everyone understands the definition? It provides a benchmark for communication about these evens.

I don't believe you are completely correct. The FBI adopted a standard definition in order to be able to keep statistics about such things. I don't know it for a fact, but I suspect the gun control groups adopted the FBI definition rather than the other way around. If you can provide references to the contrary, I would be very interested.

But when all is said and done, what difference does it make which arbitrary number is adopted as a standard as long as everyone understands the definition? It provides a benchmark for communication about these evens.
Its difficult to track the history of the definiton, but from what Ive read the FBI didnt start using the current mass shootings until after Giffords gun control group started using and defining the label "mass shooting". Prior to that the FBI used the label "shooting spree"

The difference it makes is huge. An arbitrary number does not reflect the motive of the crime while convienently lumping all shootings over a number as a mass shooting (shooting spree) when they arent. That inflates the gun control narrative.

Somewhere back in the past 9 pages of this thread I posted the genesis of the "shooting spree" definition. To date, there is no one, accepted-completely-by-all, definition, although the FBI's of "four dead, not including the shooter" seems to be the frontrunner. But even that is not an accepted definition by the FBI itself. So, the definition is still "up in the air".

The difference it makes is huge. An arbitrary number does not reflect the motive of the crime while convienently lumping all shootings over a number as a mass shooting (shooting spree) when they arent. That inflates the gun control narrative.
But for statistical purposes, why does motive matter? In many cases, the motive can not be determined anyway (shooter offs himself, friends and family are baffled, or perpetrator(s) never apprehended, as in Chicago every weekend).

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top