JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have to ask some other AK fanatics a question. But before I do please note that the SA85M I am referring to is a post-ban version not the pre-ban very sought after version.

Which rifle would you want?
Why that AKM?
Are they really worth the money people are asking for them?
Which one would you want in a society collapse?
Would you have them modified?
What would you modify if you did?
Would you actually train/ shoot it or just have it a safe queen?

Ok so maybe I have a bunch of questions. :rolleyes:

I've owned both. Functionally there is very little to choose between them overall.

Most Bulgarian SLR's have a milled receiver (but not all SLR's do) which gives a lil bit more stiffness and potential accuracy than the stamped receiver of the SA85M. But the Hungarian-made SA85M is a very well made AK and should shoot just fine.

The stamped receiver allows more flexibility in the stock furniture choices than does the milled receiver. You'll almost certainly want to replace the thumbhole furniture on the SLR. I found it uncomfortable. OTOH, the thumbhole stock on the SA85M is one of the best of the thumbhole stocks and after you try it you may not want to bother replacing it.

The muzzle of either rifle is unthreaded, but the muzzles of both are the right diameter to thread, so it's not a difficult matter to do so. A bore guide and a 14x1mm die applied with care should get it done. I did both of mine that way.

They both are fully compatible with standard AK parts, so nothing to choose there.

As to modifications, don't worry about that now. There is nothing wrong with a stock AK platform. Learn to use that well first. The learning process will teach you what else you want to do with it. Don't heed the gunshop commandoes. A good AK will do everything you need it to do in a TEOTWAWKI situation and as long as you need it.

Just FYI, on my favorite AK I added an M16-type flash suppressor, a Zhukov folding stock, and a railed gas tube mounting an optical sight. But these were choices I made (and tested!) after rather thoroughly training with the stock piece.

Yes, both AK's are well worth the money. These two are very among the best of the imported factory AK's. Home-built AK's (a/k/a/ garage guns) don't enter into my consideration for serious hardware.

If you want it for an emergency rifle, then definitely train with it and shoot it. That's a no-brainer. Merely owning a rifle bestows almost no genuine advantage. You have to become competent with it for it to actually mean anything.

Again, overall, there really isn't that much to choose between the two. I'd be quite happy with either one.

Last Edited:
Never owned or carried/held an feg.

I love my slr:
Milled receiver
100% bulgarian (No drunk ape century types)
Action is slick.

I intend to change the furniture at least.
This will require a machinist/gunsmith add a lower tang. Still looking for someone I feel confident to let handle.
Barrel isn't threaded, not too big a deal for me.
Trigger is loooong and light, not crunchy at all though just hard to stage.

Most solid ak I've ever held though.

If you choose the arsenal, be sure to work the action/trigger and if you can, pull the thumbhole stock off to make sure precious owner didn't do this: 1505171923122-168123759.jpg :mad:
You might also be able to see it with the dust cover off and good light.

Also, I'd bet you could get one in primo condition for 7-800$
If you think you'll convert it I would advise you to look at arsenal lv builds as those prices are what you'd end up with (maybe more) for the conversion.
Two pennies.

Never owned or carried/held an feg.

I love my slr:
Milled receiver
100% bulgarian (No drunk ape century types)
Action is slick.

I intend to change the furniture at least.
This will require a machinist/gunsmith add a lower tang. Still looking for someone I feel confident to let handle.
Barrel isn't threaded, not too big a deal for me.
Trigger is loooong and light, not crunchy at all though just hard to stage.

Most solid ak I've ever held though.
You don't need a machinist or gunsmith. Carolina Shooter Supply is the website you want to go to get your parts. You can pm me and I will help you get the right parts.

Last Edited:
Threads way off track, not my fault...

Listen up! YES, my receiver will need the relief. With the components and preferences I have. I made the choice to do it this way.

I do not want an ace block.
I do not want an adapter.
I do not like green eggs and ham.

Unless there have been recent products come out that I am not aware of.
In which case I still need a relief cut in my receiver as that is the route I have decided to take.

Kapeesh?
Thanks for the offer though, I sincerely appreciate it!

Threads way off track, not my fault...

Listen up! YES, my receiver will need the relief. With the components and preferences I have. I made the choice to do it this way.

I do not want an ace block.
I do not want an adapter.
I do not like green eggs and ham.

Unless there have been recent products come out that I am not aware of.
In which case I still need a relief cut in my receiver as that is the route I have decided to take.

Kapeesh?
Thanks for the offer though, I sincerely appreciate it!
No problem good luck. Let us know when it is done. I really want to see it.

I'll most definitely do that.
Here's a sneak peek for now 1505184350127-893260242.jpg
Need to buy a lower hg ferrule, lower tang, rivets, screws and find a competent machinist to do the slot, finish sand/fit furniture and stain commy red.
Threadjack over.
Good luck with your search.

I'll most definitely do that.
Here's a sneak peek for nowView attachment 390599
Need to buy a lower hg ferrule, lower tang, rivets, screws and find a competent machinist to do the slot, finish sand/fit furniture and stain commy red.
Threadjack over.
Good luck with your search.
Thanks and I see where you are going. Restoring to look like a more traditional AKM.

Last Edited:
Needs milled relief for lower tang.

Seems like rather a lot of work for the return on investment.

On a Bulgarian milled-receiver AK, you can remove both tangs. Then the buttstock bracket is compatible with normal comblock milled receiver furniture, including that made for the Yugo AK's.

It's what I did with my Arsenal SLR 95 rifle, way back when. Admittedly the stock options for Bulgarian milled receivers then were somewhat fewer than now.

But as always, your gear, your call.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads