JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The idea is that if you live in a ban state and can only purchase a manual loading version, your current choices are very limited and expensive. If your age and State allows you to buy a lower separately, than you have lots of options. The rest of buyers could be a gained customer for BCA.
Yes, my point is you're making it more complicated then it needs to be, they just have to remove the gas system to be legally a bolt action. They can use all standard parts other then not drilling the gas port.

What is the bracket thing plugged into the charging handle hole? Is that your pistol?
That's the charging handle, I made it out of a chunk of channel.
20220408_214712.jpg

It's not the lower that's an issue for the existing laws it's the action of the firearm, you can have half a dozen lowers with stocks and a pistol upper in the same safe, as long as you also have a rifle upper. Similarly you can have a bone standard lower if it's manually operated it doesn't matter if you could put a semi upper on if it's a bolt action it's a bolt action in the eyes of the existing laws.

There is an advantage to manual operation, you can remove the tail off the bolt and put on a folding stock or make a pistol without the tube hanging off.
View attachment 1223010

I don't know of anyone that sells complete rifles web a kali key equipped but Kali Key sells to all states and hasn't gotten a C&D. Unitah Precision sells to all 50 states but their system is different, it uses a standard lower but more traditional turn bolt action. I'm not sure how that's relevant, something either is manually operated or it's not. AW bans only apply to Semi-Autos.
Yeah that's... Pretty much what I was getting at. Glad we agreed?

Yes, my point is you're making it more complicated then it needs to be, they just have to remove the gas system to be legally a bolt action. They can use all standard parts other then not drilling the gas port.

That's the charging handle, I made it out of a chunk of channel.
View attachment 1223012
I am assembling one similar to that but using BCA left handed side charger upper and leaving the BCG intact. I have the Gen 2 side charger handle but would like a much larger handle.

As for overthinking it, ban state laws usually contain language banning semi-autos and firearms that are readily convertible to semi-auto. Authorities could argue that simply having a charging handle like kali key could be considered readily convertible especially if you had standard charging handle in your possession. Also you might not want a lower with model number/name specifically listed in ban language.

As an individual you will probably dodge the readily convertible issue. If you are a company selling a manual loading rifle that can be converted to semi-auto by flipping switch on gas block, you might have problems with ban State AGs. There will be a bunch of configurations in between that and being semi-auto. Maybe a gas portless barrel will be sufficient to be considered not readily convertible or maybe a company will want some more margin to error on side of less than readily convertible.

A hardcore AG may argue that an owner could simply swap the entire upper of even a Unitah bolt rifle and readily convert it to a semi-auto.

Last Edited:
I understand the hate for manual loading firearms from those who have unfettered access to semi-autos. For me I think of them as a chance to see how those who don't, live. I own a vacation home but I still like to go tent camping every so often. It helps me appreciate the vacation home more.

"You have to think that in these ban states the market is essentially how do we [stick a finger in the eye of] the spirit of the law as much as possible without breaking the letter of the law."
Until the gun community starts to think, and speak, in this way....

Joe

I understand the hate for manual loading firearms from those who have unfettered access to semi-autos. For me I think of them as a chance to see how those who don't, live. I own a vacation home but I still like to go tent camping every so often. It helps me appreciate the vacation home more.
I see those AR abominations that the UK folks are forced to use and just hope that it never happens here.
I love bolt actions, but a castrated AR ?
Nope.

It's not a bad idea at all for a company to consider a build that would take possible legislation into consideration, even if it was to keep it in their back pocket for that future rainy day. BCA is a good place to start.

Having lived through the California Kevin "Ghost Gun" De Leon days (2014-2016), I have been prepared for semi auto bans for a bit now. Everything except my Daniel Defense wears a Gibbz side charger upper receiver, and I have a number of barrels sitting in a box under my welding cart waiting to have their gas ports spot welded.

Lantac had one a while back, maybe just before it's time?

Lantac had one a while back, maybe just before it's time?

That is a meaty charging handle with lots of grip zone. I wish BCA offered something comparable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top