JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am going to try and convince Bear Creek Arsenal to start a manual loading AR rifle line based on their side charging uppers. I want this line of rifles to be 50 State legal based on current restrictions.

These are some of the features or lack of, that I would like to see.

Standard lower receivers marked "multi cal" "straight pull bolt action"

Selector switch marking Safe, Manual.

No gas port hole in barrel.

No gas tube through-hole in upper.

Larger side charging handle.

Ball bearings to replace gas key on BCG.

These features should make this rifle 50 State legal?
What does "manual loading" mean and why would anyone want one over semi auto?

Loading one round at a time manually.

If the day ever comes up that semi-auto is banned, there are options to allow you to still shoot.
Then I don't get it. Why would one use a side charging bolt handle to cycle one round at a time? Bolt guns, BLR, and others already exist, are proven reliable, and in some cases such as bolt guns are inexpensive and good quality.

Also if you wanted a side charging ar that won't cycle, couldn't u just neuter an off the shelf AR so it won't cycle? It would be a sucky gun to be sure, but it would cycle one round at a time.

Just ways to utilize current equipment without the need to purchase more "traditional" bolt guns.

Also, neutering a standard charging handle AR would also be perfectly acceptable.

Last Edited:
Bolt action, lever action, break open would all be manual loaders.

Most common reason for wanting manual loading AR would be to avoid violating ban laws.
Unfortunately I don't think a new gun which is equivalent to a broken ar would sell well. Also poeple could just disable cycling on existing ARs for virtually nothing. Don't think it would fly.

Then I don't get it. Why would one use a side charging bolt handle to cycle one round at a time? Bolt guns, BLR, and others already exist, are proven reliable, and in some cases such as bolt guns are inexpensive and good quality.

Also if you wanted a side charging ar that won't cycle, couldn't u just neuter an off the shelf AR so it won't cycle? It would be a sucky gun to be sure, but it would cycle one round at a time.
The AR is unique in it's ability to be affordably customized. Having the ability to use the lower to build a semi-auto version when semi-autos are otherwise banned is the another reason. Try converting a Savage 110 to semi-auto, it won't be easy.

Unfortunately I don't think a new gun which is equivalent to a broken ar would sell well. Also poeple could just disable cycling on existing ARs for virtually nothing. Don't think it would fly.
It's not a matter of selling well. It's creating an option for those who can not get a semi-auto version because of restrictions. Companies are already selling them but they are very expensive. BCA could bring the cost way down and make the option available to more buyers. They could still make a profit too.

Can an 18 year old buy a semi-auto AR15 in WA these days, from an FFL?

If the answer to above question is no, can an 18 year old buy a straight pull bolt action rifle from an FFL in WA?

If the answer is yes than you can see one area where demand could be for BCA to create a straight pull bolt action budget line of rifles.

Last Edited:
Sense the gun part of an AR is the lower receiver and if they ban ARs then they ban the lower receiver defeating your purpose. JMO

The long story short is, he wants to sell semis to people who can't buy semis by calling a semi "manual" so people who can't buy semis can have a semi receiver

The long story short is, he wants to sell semis to people who can't buy semis by calling a semi "manual" so people who can't buy semis can have a semi receiver
More like he wants to see cheaper options for ARs in ban states, that complies with the "letter" of the laws in these ban states...

Never mind that several states name ARs as models requiring registration and proscribed :rolleyes:

Currently in Oregon an 18 year old can buy an AR15 rifle but can not buy an AR lower receiver. Technically he is still getting a lower receiver when he buys it attached to the rifle upper but the law treats it differently.
Your are correct as it was manufactured as a rifle but if they ban ARs will they ban the receiver or just semi auto function of the receiver?

I have no problem with the concept as Riverman guns in CDA Idaho builds high end rifles on this platform and has for some time and many folks in California have as well. I will say I would never buy one because in my mind if they decide to ban them again maybe its call a tyrannical government.

Good luck with the project

edit spelling

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR