JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am planning to get a AR style in the very near future, having not been around them allot I am not sure where to start to find one I would like.
I like quality in my firearms, and reliability also not wanting to break the bank either.
People always ask you when you bring up a question well what reasonable to you when it comes to price. I would want to stay under 700.00 if possible for something descent and no more then say 900.00 . I am also not sure what types might come in 7.62x39 that would be a plus.
Nothing against the 223/5.56 but it would then require me to stock up yet another caliber.

Open to advice, questions etc.

Thanks

Sounds like you would be better off building one. I too prefer quality firearms and have built 2 different ARs and couldn't be happier. Have any friends with ARs that you can check out in person?

My B.I.L. has an AR in 7.62x39 and has expressed his displeasure at experiencing reliability issues that jluck speaks of. I think there was a fairly recent (last 6 months or so) thread here on NWF on the topic.

For a regular 5.56 AR do some comparison shopping. Are you interested in building your own or buying completed?

I notice Cabelas always has Bushmasters onsale pretty frequent.
I do know people locally and have shot them before, but shooting one that not your own is different then ownership so really unsure.
I think I will stay with the 5.56 idea.

There is a "real" option for a 7.62 x 39 AR. A CMMG MK47Mutant. Uses a .308 size bolt and takes AK mags.

You would have to drop more than the budget you proposed but I you get a real thing.

The problem with 7.62 AR is the taped of the round function properly in a curved magazine (picture an AK mag) but the AR mag well is setup for straight magazines. Also the bolt lock lugs are smaller, as in not as strong, due to the larger 7.62 case. If you want an AR and it is your first, do yourself a favor and make it a 5.56.

Also I typically recommend against making your first AR a build, get a quality made one from Colt or BCM, learn them, then build them.

That's about what I was going to say if nobody had already, so it must be really good advice :D. Parts and ammo for an AR in 223 are easy to find and not terribly expensive.

Stick with a brand name and you'll get a pretty good gun. I like Smith & Wesson and Bushmaster, but there are plenty of others that would make you happy. I've got a Sig Sauer that I really like but it was a little pricier.

One other thing; Figure out what you want to do with the rifle and tell us. ARs come in all different flavors from a lightweight gun with 14.5" barrel and a pinned flash hider to a heavy bench gun with 24" or longer bull barrels. From your 7.62 X 39 reference, I'm guessing you're looking for something in the middle. Anyway, once we know what kind of shooting you want to do, you'll get lots of advice on specific models and options.

So I am planning to get a AR style in the very near future, having not been around them allot I am not sure where to start to find one I would like.
I like quality in my firearms, and reliability also not wanting to break the bank either.
People always ask you when you bring up a question well what reasonable to you when it comes to price. I would want to stay under 700.00 if possible for something descent and no more then say 900.00 . I am also not sure what types might come in 7.62x39 that would be a plus.
Nothing against the 223/5.56 but it would then require me to stock up yet another caliber.

Open to advice, questions etc.

Thanks

You're in the same boat I was in three weeks ago! I knew nothing about the AR platform, so when people say "Find out what you like". Heh, how do I know what I like, I only shot 10 rounds from a members AR at an after clean-up shoot? I like IT. I came to the conclusion that they're all pretty much the same for the most part. I even had dealers admitting that. Name makes a difference in price. The DPMS isn't going to shoot different than the Colt, BUT the Colt has better resale value. I figured I'm not going to sell this so, passed on the Colt, Stag etc.

I ended up getting a, guess you call it custom, build from Curt's up here in PDX. They have the "Rogue Defense" on their builds and I figure I've got a place that will help me with anything I ever need for it. Plus the gun isn't identical to all the others in the stack. It cost a hair over 7.

What I'm considering doing now is going to a local or online outfit and buying a complete lower and finishing up from online, Curt's or others in my area. The problem with an on-line is you add $25.00 at the least for the transfer. It also doesn't look too difficult, if you have some mechanical abilities, to get a stripped lower and the parts for it on-line. Also, there were people at the gun show that had the AR that isn't quite complete. You buy that and go to another dealer to get the last part(s), take it home and snap it together.

Good luck!

. I came to the conclusion that they're all pretty much the same for the most part. I even had dealers admitting that. Name makes a difference in price. The DPMS isn't going to shoot different than the Colt, BUT the Colt has better resale value. I figured I'm not going to sell this so, passed on the Colt, Stag etc.

Well, I guess if you mean they (mostly) all go bang when you pull the switch then yeah... But otherwise that is not so much true.

That is like saying a Ford pinto and a Subaru WRX are "pretty much the same for the most part" While somewhat accurate its not really

The problem with 7.62 AR is the taped of the round function properly in a curved magazine (picture an AK mag) but the AR mag well is setup for straight magazines. Also the bolt lock lugs are smaller, as in not as strong, due to the larger 7.62 case. If you want an AR and it is your first, do yourself a favor and make it a 5.56.

Also I typically recommend against making your first AR a build, get a quality made one from Colt or BCM, learn them, then build them.

There is a "real" option for a 7.62 x 39 AR. A CMMG MK47Mutant. Uses a .308 size bolt and takes AK mags.

You would have to drop more than the budget you proposed but I you get a real thing.
Yeah he already said it. I would definitely do the rifle that takes the AK mags because I like to have plenty of mags and trying to find enough of the X39 followers for AR mags that don't feed perfect all the time would be a pain.
You should get a lot better accuracy from the 7.62X39 with the AR platform.no?

Yeah he already said it. I would definitely do the rifle that takes the AK mags because I like to have plenty of mags and trying to find enough of the X39 followers for AR mags that don't feed perfect all the time would be a pain.
You should get a lot better accuracy from the 7.62X39 with the AR platform.no?

That is kind of a loaded question. Better than what? Better than a shot out SKS? Better than a $1800 Krebs AK? You should have better reaction times because of less recoil and muzzle rise than in the AK system (the forces acting in a more favorable way) and better sights and optics are easier to use... My my thought would be it might not be a more accurate rifle than a high end AK variant but it is most likely easier to shoot better

Well, I guess if you mean they (mostly) all go bang when you pull the switch then yeah... But otherwise that is not so much true.

That is like saying a Ford pinto and a Subaru WRX are "pretty much the same for the most part" While somewhat accurate its not really

I'm all ears Mr. Monster, and willing to learn.:) Considering what I've seen ARs can cost, I'm looking at a comparison like the Pinto will get you to the store three blocks away just the same as the Subaru, or a Ferrari$$?

Now if I come to be a real serious AR guy down the line then I will most likely understand fully, but the OP is a noob, AND has a budget.

I figured it would surpass a standard ,run of the mill AK for accuracy
I'm not a AK fan but haven't ever heard of one that was MOA. And again I didn't know you could buy 1 for 1800 buckso_O
Lets put it this way. A friend was up shooting his AK and couldn't hit a can at 65 yards that I was hitting with my 1911

I would love to take you out to tri county to try mine out if you want. Mine is home made with all palmetto state parts and a timney match trigger. Came in for six hundred before the trigger. I love it and would recommend a build. Very fun and you really know what is going on inside.

I think S&W has an entry AR in your price range. I don't love Colt. Bushmaster I don't have an opinion on but they are everywhere.

If it were me I'd think a lot about what I wanted to do. My first upper was not right for me. It was 16" and heavy barrel and I think that was a waste. Went to 18" government profile and that was much better. I want to varmint hunt with is and shoot action rifle.

Good luck. Happy to meet so you can test out. Have a second lower too with a geissle trigger of you want to feel them side by side.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top