JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm all ears Mr. Monster, and willing to learn.:) Considering what I've seen ARs can cost, I'm looking at a comparison like the Pinto will get you to the store three blocks away just the same as the Subaru, or a Ferrari$$?

Now if I come to be a real serious AR guy down the line then I will most likely understand fully, but the OP is a noob, AND has a budget.

Well, to start to say "All AR's the basically the same" even assuming you mean all AR's of a particular caliber you still have a wide range of quality, range of use, even operating system. You think a 7.5" pistol is basically the same as a 24" heavy barrel varmint gun? Even when you are talking about near direct replacement rifles (A Colt SP1 carbine VS a a Colt 6940 for instance) there are considerable differences in features.

Let me put it this way. The AR platform is the most diverse, expansive and varied of any rifle platform ever conceived by mankind. There is nothing else that even comes close.

Saying All AR's are the same is a similar statement to saying all cars are the same. or all motorcycles are the same. While technically a true statement saying so its more or less useless in a discussion bout buying them.

If the goal is to have an AR, Well then yeah, buying any AR will fulfill that role

People always ask you when you bring up a question well what reasonable to you when it comes to price. I would want to stay under 700.00 if possible for something descent and no more then say 900.00 . I am also not sure what types might come in 7.62x39 that would be a plus.
Nothing against the 223/5.56 but it would then require me to stock up yet another caliber.
what are you looking to do with the AR ?

the best, nicest shooting, most reliable is the 20" rifle gas , rifle buffer system in 556x45 mm......223 Remington.

So what am I going to use it for, if you were all Liberal-Antis Id tell you to F/O;).

But since you are not, without disclosing on the internet what other arms I have, I use those in a similar caliber defensive wise are all heavier weight and less nimble then the AR platform.
I Like the idea of having a more portable platform, I am 6'4" as well so I know I need
something that would have a long enough stock to be comfortable but not so heavy that
its portability goes out the window. It doesn't have to be 7.62x39 it would be nice but seems more trouble then its worth in an AR style from what I am getting from all of you.
So something medium use is my idea. Perhaps use as a secondary go to for SHTF and is why reliability is a factor.

Hope this helps.

So I am planning to get a AR style in the very near future, having not been around them allot I am not sure where to start to find one I would like.
I like quality in my firearms, and reliability also not wanting to break the bank either.
People always ask you when you bring up a question well what reasonable to you when it comes to price. I would want to stay under 700.00 if possible for something descent and no more then say 900.00 . I am also not sure what types might come in 7.62x39 that would be a plus.
Nothing against the 223/5.56 but it would then require me to stock up yet another caliber.

Open to advice, questions etc.

Thanks
ruger ar-556

ruger ar-556

Bingo! Same thing as I said. There is not a better factory built AR out there for the price. OP make sure and check them out. Not the SR556 but the AR556. This is a 560-650 dollar rifle.
Check out some youtube.com videos on it. I tried posting some but that's but yet one more thing I can't do on this site mobile anymore.

Last Edited:
I'll have to disagree with ironmonster,a little. If you are new to ARs they are all basically the same.
After you start to build them and shoot them more then yes,they do become different.
But you go to the store,most of the ARs will make noise when you pull the charging handle and pull the trigger (given a stock AR without add ons). They all have a foregrip of some form.The same little handle of some degree.Some have sights some don't. Yeah a flat top or a carry handle
A millions different but stocks,but they all have butt stocks.
Then there are pistols,without a butt stock.But most of the same other gadgets of some kind
Then you get the more expensive ones and you get some upgrades. Of all the ARs I have held,one,a DSA, didn't make the noise as I pulled the charging handle back. And yes I have handled some expensive ARs
If you will shoot 3k rounds a weekend some of these upgrades will be necessary.
If you plan to shoot 3k a year,you won't really appreciate some of the upgrades
Not directing this at any particular person ,but I believe some folks have so much invested in that one AR they want to think it is thee best thing on the planet.
Again if you don't shoot 3k a week end,how would you know?
YMMV

Buy a medium priced or lower AR cause you will either make upgrades to it or buy/build a few more.This part can't be stopped

I'll have to disagree with ironmonster,a little. If you are new to ARs they are all basically the same.
After you start to build them and shoot them more then yes,they do become different.
But you go to the store,most of the ARs will make noise when you pull the charging handle and pull the trigger (given a stock AR without add ons). They all have a foregrip of some form.The same little handle of some degree.Some have sights some don't. Yeah a flat top or a carry handle
A millions different but stocks,but they all have butt stocks.
Then there are pistols,without a butt stock.But most of the same other gadgets of some kind
Then you get the more expensive ones and you get some upgrades. Of all the ARs I have held,one,a DSA, didn't make the noise as I pulled the charging handle back. And yes I have handled some expensive ARs
If you will shoot 3k rounds a weekend some of these upgrades will be necessary.
If you plan to shoot 3k a year,you won't really appreciate some of the upgrades
Not directing this at any particular person ,but I believe some folks have so much invested in that one AR they want to think it is thee best thing on the planet.
Again if you don't shoot 3k a week end,how would you know?
YMMV

Buy a medium priced or lower AR cause you will either make upgrades to it or buy/build a few more.This part can't be stopped

Yep... Just like all motorcycles have two wheels, A seat and handlebars.

Yep. All motorcycles are basically the same. :D

And basically if it has four wheels, a seat a motor and a steering will its a car right? I mean a pickup and a sports car really are not that much different. Basically the same, right?

If the goal is to have an AR, Well then yeah, buying any AR will fulfill that role

As a newbie, with a budget set at better than $559.00, didn't care much for the fat plastic hand guards, and wanting to stay under $1000.00, that precisely was my goal! I didn't pay much over that base price and got a firearm that was ready to complete with the necessary accouterments.

As I've heard, these things multiply. There is already another one in the early stages of development in my mind that will be, different.

And basically if it has four wheels, a seat a motor and a steering will its a car right? I mean a pickup and a sports car really are not that much different. Basically the same, right?

Kind of

Any simpleton can tell the difference between a ninja and a gold wing or an f350 and a camry but it takes some experience and trigger time to tell the differences and nuances between a DPMS and a DD in similarly configured rifles.

Id have to count to tell you exactly how many AR's I have, over 20 anyway. Not a one of them is like the others and most are not swap-able with each other to do a particular thing.

If you have one AR I can see how they would all seem to be alike. Some one who did not know much about AR's probably couldn't tell why one was different than another, Just like someone who didn't know about motorcycles could tell you why one was different than another

Apples and oranges. I'm not saying my SR762 is just like a marlin lever gun or a grease gun
I haven't built as many as you but It doesn't take much to figure an AR out.
Everything I have had put lots of lead down range. Some were lighter and some had nice triggers.Some had better sights or scopes. But basically they were the same.
Oh yeah the high dollar BCG put all the brass in the same place instead of scattered.
JMHO
Like I said,YMMV

Y'all made me burn my soup
It takes only one schematic to assemble an DI AR. And some other picture to do the piston run AR
This would be more like comparing a Chevy truck to a Dodge or Ford than a truck to a race car,come on

Basically the same, Except you can get one that is bolt action, or piston driven. Or a pump or DI or belt fed or .50 BMG or .22 LR Or even a crossbow.

But basically all the same.

a0445b2b55b34abdaa5f2bb1eb5bd4f7.JPG ard.jpg arf.jpg customferret50rifle2.jpg images.jpg belt.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1421070662488.jpg

a0445b2b55b34abdaa5f2bb1eb5bd4f7.JPG

ard.jpg

arf.jpg

customferret50rifle2.jpg

images.jpg

belt.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1421070662488.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT