JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I never touched an AR before I built my first one (last week) and everything went fine. $475 Black Friday PSA rifle kit. Can't wait to try it out! Plus $150 for a Vortex Spitfire 1x prism scope which is supposed to be good, but I did exactly zero research on it before I bought it. I just went with PSA's recommendation. The FFL who did my transfer (Steve Reihl of Adaptive Firing Solutions in Oregon City 971-217-6811) very kindly let me come back and use his AR wrench, block and vise, and helped me put the spring and detente in the front pin. It went very well with four hands and a punch instead of two hands and the correct tool. It took me about two hours to put the lower together, the upper came assembled. I'm not mechanical at all. Just learned how to change my spark plugs this year (I'm 44) so don't think you need to be a machinist to get it done.

I have built a lot of PSA "kit" guns. A couple of AK's and at least a dozen AR's. I have had a few minor issues but over all for the dough they are really hard to beat.

Here are some great resources if you want to do a build:
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
I haven't fully reviewed this video but it uses the above guides and the beginning sounded promising.

It really isn't that tough if you're mechanically oriented. Two things: Pay particular attention to the places where they say "be careful on this step or you can break your receiver". Also, I put the receiver in a big clear plastic bag when I'm installing the spring loaded parts. When the part goes Sproing on your first try, it catches the spring and the tiny-impossible-to-find-I-only-have-one-of-these part. This way you can continue with your build instead of driving to the nearest gun shop to buy another parts kit or if you're lucky, an "FLPK" *. Enjoy!

* Frequently Lost Parts Kit - that's not what they really call it but you'll probably get a chuckle out of somebody at the shop.

Last Edited:
Hi guys after reading over all the great information, wholly cow you guys are great I read every post and then googled some of it to give me a great starting point.

I think I am going to steer away from an AR with 7.62x39. From my experience the SKS was made for the 7.62x39 as well as its breatherin the AK-47 these both work with that round flawlessly if I acquired a temperamental setup with that round I would notice right off having spent thousands of hours with both might not like one that works iffy.
I like to build all my own stuff even do light smith work in the shop. So a build is a good idea however I think buying one built and having time to dissect it would be my best way its how my learning process works then build a second. Show me a book to fix something will take me a year to do it, let me get my hands dirty thats what I like. Never took a day in school for auto-repair but ave done rebuilds in my garage and do 90% of my own auto work so building will be the goal once I have a model to work from and learn from. Not sure about big box store as those that know my posting on NWFA might get the impression thats not how I acquire but locally I do know a few people that have them and build and with all the help here I can narrow it down. However if I do not find one that fits box store may be the way or similar stores.

Thanks all for the help and advise appreciated.
sounds like a plan
when you are ready, which I guarantee is now, just find some videos from Brownells or youtube .....once you see it done in front of you you will be all over it
you should just take 10 minutes and watch a couple well done how to videos ....
I am not at all lying to tell you I build lowers in my chair watching tv now....I do the uppers in a vice but only because you need it to time the barrel nut.....I have timed muzzle devices, installed and removed them with the rifle pinched between my knees......

you can do it brother....and the first one, the first shot puts a smile on your face like no other thing you have shot
Well at least that's the feeling I get but I build them to shoot not stack;)

sounds like a plan
when you are ready, which I guarantee is now, just find some videos from Brownells or youtube .....once you see it done in front of you you will be all over it
you should just take 10 minutes and watch a couple well done how to videos ....
I am not at all lying to tell you I build lowers in my chair watching tv now....I do the uppers in a vice but only because you need it to time the barrel nut.....I have timed muzzle devices, installed and removed them with the rifle pinched between my knees......

you can do it brother....and the first one, the first shot puts a smile on your face like no other thing you have shot
Well at least that's the feeling I get but I build them to shoot not stack;)
I recently helped a friend of mine with his first AR build. After the last piece and a function check, he held the thing up and said "I built this!". The only better moment was right after he shot it for the first time. It ran flawlessly and shot very good groups. Great bro moment.

I recently helped a friend of mine with his first AR build. After the last piece and a function check, he held the thing up and said "I built this!". The only better moment was right after he shot it for the first time. It ran flawlessly and shot very good groups. Great bro moment.
very nice....I built my first and never have bought a factory built. Nothing against it, I just really like knowing I did it right, and its fun that I cant deny myself.
I actually have home built AR's that have only fired home built ammunition, talk about fun.....your first one inch 5 shot group with ammo you built through a rifle you built , gives you that since of accomplishment ....swells your head up real nice lol
I can work punches, torque wrenches and calipers as good as any snot nose in a factory , I know.....I used to be one of them lol

One tool I highly recommend is a AR15/M4 Barrel Spline Socket Rod.
Chuck this tool up in your vise and then it really pays for itself when torquing down a barrel or removing a flash hider.

armors-m4-barrel-spline-socket-rod-3__56417.1376343638.1280.1280_2.jpg

armors-m4-barrel-spline-socket-rod-3__56417.1376343638.1280.1280_2.jpg

I put off buying one of these because I already had the plastic vice blocks that clamp around the upper receiver, but the versatility of the spline rod can't be beat.
Another essential tool is a set of roll pin starter drifts. No more scratched receivers.

First outing with my Ruger AR 556. I have had this rifle for about a month and the weather has not let me get out to shoot it so I have played with it a lot in that time. I have been impressed with the build quality of the low (589.00) cost AR. Upper and lower are a tight fit, bolt carrier has no marks, it's just plain nice.
I took it out today, 36* cloudy/foggy but could not wait any longer. Not being a rifle shooter and using the factory peep sights that I have not used in about 55 years (1st BB gun ) and wearing trifocals, I went for it.
First 10 rounds using 55 grain PMC Bronze using a rest at 75 yards. Second target next 20 rounds NO rest.
I will also say, no way can you see where your hitting using a shoot and see target at 75 yards on a dark day and a .223 hole. I have no problem recommending this rifle who does not want to build their first AR and does not want to spend a ton. target1.jpg target 2.jpg

target1.jpg

target 2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews