JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am not sure if this is in the right topic thread or not, so please feel free to move.

I know that buying a complete AR lower requires me to do the paperwork, background check, etc. to purchase it from the FFL dealer. If I buy this and a separate complete upper to create an sbr, do I just purchase both, do a Form 1, wait for the stamp, engrave the lower, then put the two together? Or, am I missing something?

I missing something?
1709354909101.png

For the rifle stuff. No.

If I buy this and a separate complete upper to create an sbr, do I just purchase both, do a Form 1, wait for the stamp, engrave the lower, then put the two together? Or, am I missing something?
As far as I understand. Its not illegal to own any uppers without a stamp. Its only illegal to put one under 16in bbl on a lower without a stamp.

Seems strange to me that a suppressor or other NFA rifles or shotguns stay in jail until the stamp arrives, but nothing prevents me from taking a separated sbr home? I just can't legally use it until the stamp arrives?
Because and ["sbr"] upper isnt a rifle until its put to use as one. Lots of people build pistols legally with them.

I'm going out on a limb here but someone is welcome to correct me if Im wrong.

Generally, a lower is just a lower.

Put a brace on it and run it like a pistol, so no vertical grips either.

Submit your paperwork, get your tax stamp, and then do what your going too after you have your stamp.

Get a pistol brace and matching buffer tube and make yourself a pistol. Use that as you like while you wait for your tax stamp
If you are buying a lower: Make sure the lower is listed/purchased as "other", or as a pistol, but NOT a rifle. If it was sold as a rifle, you need a stamped F1 before adding a short barrel to be kosher. A short barrel on a rifle receiver is an SBR, brace or not. Stripped lowers are USUALLY sold as "other"

You are not wrong :)

But also, this shouldn't be that hard to understand . . . 🤔
Gotta admit in the last couple years Ive become really jaded and worn out trying to keep up with all the gun laws. I have a 'cheat sheet' I only updated once or twice in like 10 years. The last couple years its a mess of notes.

If you are buying a lower: Make sure the lower is listed/purchased as "other", or as a pistol, but NOT a rifle. If it was sold as a rifle, you need a stamped F1 before adding a short barrel to be kosher. A short barrel on a rifle receiver is an SBR, brace or not. Stripped lowers are USUALLY sold as "other"
If my FFL didn't know that a lower receiver was an "other" and not a rifle or pistol I would find another FFL, and not because of some pedantic thing like "Is it a clip or is it a magazine?" but because if they aren't getting that simple part corRect, what else are they doing wrong that might attract the attention of the ATF?

Edited to corRect the incorRect spelling of corRect :)

Last Edited:
If my FFL didn't know that a lower receiver was an "other" and not a rifle or pistol I would find another FFL, and not because of some pedantic thing like "Is it a clip or is it a magazine?" but because if they aren't getting that simple part corect, what else are they doing wrong that might attract the attention of the ATF
Fine. We can't always get it "corect", even with Spelt Chequers.

And if you are buying a used lower for cheap to make your pistol, you'll want to make sure it's not already been "a rifle".

Get a pistol brace and matching buffer tube and make yourself a pistol. Use that as you like while you wait for your tax stamp
Yep or just leave it as is with the brace and not get the stamp. Can apply for an sbr later if regs are coming re braces, if want a "real" stock, or want to use a vertical foregrip.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top