JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Frankly, if you don't have your own gun and the training to use it then you won't be using my gun...until it leaves my cold dead fingers.:D

No really, it's about trust, always.

My older brother's health has declined recently and he lives far away in MD. He will be 81 years old soon. (I will be 72 years old this summer.) HE is a conservative man and we agree in many things in life as we always did. He is a RESPONSBILE man in all areas of his LIFE. He was always that way - same as I am. (I would trust him with one of the rifles here. But he is not here in MT.) He is SANE, smart, still WITH IT mentally, still physically capable in many things, KIND, has common sense and uses the brain that the good Lord gave him.

My older sister lives in FL and she took another BAD turn with her health. Another unending LONG LIST of heath issues from LONG BEFORE the 90's and even from the 90's and on with her transplant in the 90's.

I would NOT trust her with ANY firearm even if she took some 'training' DUE to how she IS when it comes to being 'taught' and TOLD many things in life over and over and over again some more.

Plus she has anger issues on top of it.

Now, due to another physical issue that has done some damage to her THINKING and brain somewhat even though it is getting better AGAIN and now... there is NO way that I would lend her a firearm. PLUS she is anti gun in her OWN WAY - she would NOT want to use a gun.

Even though I love her - I do not always LIKE her when it comes to HER stupid choices in LIFE and in HER politics when she remains CLUELESS no matter how you try to EXPLAIN SOMETHING to her or TEACH HER HISTORY. But that goes for some so called Rs and NOT only some so called Ds too.

NO offense.

I would NOT have trusted her with a firearm even when she was in her 20's too.

There are some 'liberals' - classic liberals that I do KNOW that use guns responsibly and LIVE their lives in a responsible manner. Same with SOME small l and Large L Libertarians.

That goes for OLD SCHOOL conservatives who are like me too.

I do NOT trust the RADICAL LEFT people in society.

I do NOT trust the RADICAL RIGHT people in society.

My late husband had an old saying. "I would not trust them or give them the SWEAT OFF OF MY @@@!"

Discernment - USE IT or lose it!

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
I know my neighbors well enough to know who I might be able to count on.
I would take that with a grain of salt. When talking about SHTF days, IMHO, true trust is earned and tempered through hardship... not during the "fair weather days" when it's easy to be trustworthy. It's human nature to feel almost an overwhelming tie and sense of responsibility toward our "own". It would be naive to think any other person wouldn't feel the same for "theirs". When those two interests seem to fall in conflict with each other is when you see the true nature of a person and a betrayal of what you might "like" to believe about another isn't exactly a rarity.

Work as a community, but keep your circle of trust where it belongs. Being ever vigilant for those that may feel they have no choice but to betray your trust for the greater good of their own. You can't exactly fault a person in a case like that. People of, ultimately, weak nature are commonplace, but that doesn't mean you have to get caught with your pants down, either.

I would take that with a grain of salt. When talking about SHTF days, IMHO, true trust is earned and tempered through hardship... not during the "fair weather days" when it's easy to be trustworthy. It's human nature to feel almost an overwhelming tie and sense of responsibility toward our "own". It would be naive to think any other person wouldn't feel the same for "theirs". When those two interests seem to fall in conflict with each other is when you see the true nature of a person and a betrayal of what you might "like" to believe about another isn't exactly a rarity.

Work as a community, but keep your circle of trust where it belongs. Being ever vigilant for those that may feel they have no choice but to betray your trust for the greater good of their own. You can't exactly fault a person in a case like that. People of, ultimately, weak nature are commonplace, but that doesn't mean you have to get caught with your pants down, either.
Excellent point! Note the operative word "might" in the portion you quoted. It is imperative that you at least get to know your neighbors, but how many of us try to act normally like our neighbors don't exist?

Fortunately (?) our mailman makes frequent mistakes so I have visited almost each of my neighbors to swap mail and packages. We have locking postal boxes, so we can't just stick the mail in their mail boxes. It adds a bit of familiarity and I'm also the first guy to volunteer to help is I see a neighbor working on a project.

Keep voting for the ___D___ and soon......
THIS will be a reality.

We-will-be-Keeping.gif

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

I've heard interesting stories about how prisoner camps would quickly identify "leaders" among the POWs and separate them from the weaker "followers", then try to use the weak followers to control/manipulate the rest. The camps recognized that the leaders had strength of character brought about by faith in a higher power and authority above their captors, making true leaders a threat and influence that was difficult to break. They also recognized that this leadership character was not based on rank or status, contrary to what many would assume.

Character is revealed in the tough times. Sadly, I wonder how much character we still have to resist evil despite personal discomfort.

RE : Post #26

Depending on who you ask.......
I could imagine.......
That the response would probably be different.

WW2
Korean War
1962 Missile Crisis
Viet Nam
Oil Embargo
Inflation, stagflation, etc.....
War on drugs, War on terrorism, etc.....

Dot.com bubble, housing bubble, etc....

Yeah. It depends.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
You must have lived through the dot.com bubble to have seen all that hardship.
You'll have to explain that one. I'm completely lost to any relevance to the topic or what point you're trying to make.

Or... we're just doing that thing where we spit out random unrelated statements for ghits and shiggles(?) 🤣

This question seems to be up for much debate on the internet, and I'm sure it's not the first time this has been asked here:

Do you all stock numerous or extra firearms for people around you? No need for numbers or pictures, but I can't help but wonder who keeps backup weapons for their primaries.

I have my couple of main defensive rifles and like to keep some "beater" ones around to use for parts or to hand out in an emergency if need be. More is less, or so they say.

Thoughts on how many is too much? This is without regard for other important preps like food, water, metals, ammo, etc.
I do.

I have "tiers" of firearms for myself and my kids, that will serve as backups and spares and for arming those I would trust outside of myself and my kids. Ammo and mags for them too.

Beyond defensive weapons, I also have a "tier" of hunting firearms (bolt, lever, single action, revolvers), that use the same ammo as my defensive guns, and some that use hunting calibers (e.g., .30-30, .44 mag, etc.).

As for "too much" - since I and my family will be "bugging in" due to health issues, there is not such thing as "too much". Even if we had to abandon our "bugout" residence, we could stash some of the guns/ammo offsite or at least out of site where we could retrieve them.

Anyone I would want/need in my Platoon already has what they need, the only area we all work on constantly is AMMO. Getting a group to agree on ONE single Caliber is tough enough, a whole system, fuggeddaboutit! LOL
Seriously, there is enough common calibers to see us through, enough interchangeability of platforms that we don't really have any issues, so we just build from there! 9 mm .45 ACP. 5.56 ad .7.62X51 .12 gauge being the standards we all mostly agree on!
Everything else your still likely going to be able to find if you ever have need. .30/06 .30/30 .303 .30 Carbine 7.62/39 are all common enough to be found with out too much searching!

IF and/or WHEN.......the SHTF?
ASSUMING....that I had some.....
I MIGHT just decide to hand out some EXTRAS (and AMMO). But then......

Sorry.
Did you under go the BGC?
Waiting Period?
Pay your required fees (extortion).
BTW, where can I find an FFL?

Thank you for voting "Correctly".

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I don't believe it's in my best interests to arm those not already owning firearms.
Not everyone sees the need, but some would wake up very quickly. Most of my neighbors have at least one firearm, others have expressed an interest. I would trust most of them before I would trust certain family members.

In a SHTF there are a multitude of things they can do without being front line solders.
Yes and no.

If willing and able to send something downrange, there may be scenarios where numbers matter, especially if those numbers can be place strategically.

If I have to arm them, then they probably have zero training and are a liability. Those family members that say, "I know where I'm coming for the apocalypse ", are welcome. Their contribution will be weeding the garden and feeding livestock.
Some I trust - a son of a nephew, he served in the Army and has proven to be reliable and helpful, unlike his uncle who, while having served in the Army, is not reliable or helpful.

Another, a beau/fiancée of an adopted niece, is a Marine sniper and has impressive credentials/interests.

Maybe some others. Probably not some of yet others.

At least, if I have the guns/ammo, I have the option, and the extras will serve as backups.

Also, there are people I would want to be near, who will have to travel some distance to reach my home. During that travel, the gov may see fit to disarm them. Having the ability to rearm them is a plus.

When this pandemic nonsense started I told my wife that each adult family member needed a 556 rifle. Back then reasonably priced AR lowers were hard to come by and sold in limited quantities so I was purchasing lowers one month, uppers the next, ammo and a case of pmags after that.

I've got a few "extra" modern pieces for my wife, but the rest of my stuff... is ancient. I keep food stocked, enough ammo to feel comfy but I'm not here to supply an army.

if the shtf then I'd consider lending a good neighbor a top break single shot, they aren't getting anything manufactured in the last century.

Do you all stock numerous or extra firearms for people around you?
Not specifically, but the wife has done training at FAS, owns her own pistols and AR, both kids and sons in law have received training, both formal classes and with me. With multiple rifles all in the same caliber, plenty o' mags and quite a few pistols (same platform) that take common mags and ammo, IF it ever came down to it, I'd feel comfortable arming the entire family. About the only scenario (realistically) that I can envision is when the big Cascadia 10.0 quake hits, we on the peninsula are totally cut off with power for weeks and the inevitable roving bands of predators start raiding... We'll all hunker down and be prepared to defend the family compound...

You'll have to explain that one. I'm completely lost to any relevance to the topic or what point you're trying to make.

Or... we're just doing that thing where we spit out random unrelated statements for ghits and shiggles(?) 🤣
Sorry, just kind of making fun of the idea that US citizens born in the second half of 20th century have faced what would historically be called hardship - especially in a thread where everyone has so much disposable income to have multiple copies of high end firearms and ammo.

The "dot.com bubble" was the beginning of the economic downturn around 2000. There were no insurrections or cannibalism.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews