JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've decided to build my daughter an AR9 pistol with pink furniture. I've assembled a few AR15's with excellent results and I love to "build" things. As far as pricing goes it's almost cheaper to just buy over build. Any experience with the glock 9mm lowers?

I would build one. You and her can pick and choose the parts that go into it, and get exactly what you want. If you aren't in a hurry, you can usually acquire the components needed for about $500 as they go on sale. I haven't seen a complete $500 AR9 yet. I also really like PSA. I have one of their Colt SMG pattern rifles and would like to get a Glock version but haven't yet.

Out of curiosity, why go with a pistol and not a rifle?

Just wanted to keep the weight and size down. She really likes shooting my XD9sc (I know, completely different) she also loves my 556 pistol, just not how loud it is.

Ever consider something like a CZ Scorpian?

I've built two AR15s in 9mm. Both times I ended up going back to a factory, purposely built, 9mm firearm.

I know it's pretty convenient that the AR15 platform can take lots of different shapes and calibers. I just didn't find the blowback system as refined in a purposely built blowback gun like a CZ or Beretta Storm.

I played around with different buffer weights, springs, and still couldn't get the felt recoil down. I feel like the 9mm in a simple blowback design needs a substantial amount of weight to slow the bolt down. Springs did the trick to a point but then I had issues with short stroking.

These things may not even be a concern, but just thought I'd throw them out there.

I just didn't find the blowback system as refined in a purposely built blowback gun like a CZ or Beretta Storm.
While you are spot on about the absurdities and finicky tuning requirements of the AR system, the CZ and Storm pistols are not blowback designs, they are locked breech short recoil operated actions, albeit with different locking mechanisms.

While you are spot on about the absurdities and finicky tuning requirements of the AR system, the CZ and Storm pistols are not blowback designs, they are locked breech short recoil operated actions, albeit with different locking mechanisms.
I'm not familiar with the CZ, but I know the Beretta CX4 is a blowback. With a generous sized bolt. It eats everything I feed it and doesn't have as much bolt recoil as the AR15 platforms.

I think you are right on the scorpian. Which is why it would be, in my opinion, a good choice for the OPs application. A dedicated firearm designed for the caliber.

I'm not familiar with the CZ, but I know the Beretta CX4 is a blowback. With a generous sized bolt. It eats everything I feed it and doesn't have as much bolt recoil as the AR15 platforms.

I think you are right on the scorpian. Which is why it would be, in my opinion, a good choice for the OPs application. A dedicated firearm designed for the caliber.
He said pistol, not carbine.

He said pistol, not carbine.
True. The CX4 is more of a bull pup. Fairly short and light. I'm assuming, I know it's bad to do that, that the OP is looking to pistol brace the thing. Since it is for his daughter, I'm thinking the pistol sized platform would be lighter and shorter for her to handle vs a rifle sized.

Not my original point though, I was mostly trying to point out the design of the AR15 is cool that you can change calibers, but the lack of room in the receiver and buffer tube, doesn't allow for enough weight to properly slow down a bolt via blowback in my opinion. It does to a point, but, there are purposely designed firearms out there that are similar in nature to the AR15 that I was offering up as recommendations. To broaden the choices that are available.

I had planned on doing a PSA 9mm AR build to share mags with my glock but after reading this, it sounds like the scorpion is the better choice. And PSA never has what I want in stock. Ever. Every damn time.:confused:

I was mostly trying to point out the design of the AR15 is cool that you can change calibers, but the lack of room in the receiver and buffer tube, doesn't allow for enough weight to properly slow down a bolt via blowback in my opinion.

I thought all you AR guys painstakingly fiddled with the gas port(s) when changing any or all of the ammo, caliber, length of barrel, suppressor, or gas tube. And those cut-down "pistol" ARs don't even have recoil buffer springs, do they?

Last Edited:
I though all you AR guys painstakingly fiddled with the gas port(s) when changing any or all of the ammo, caliber, length of barrel, suppressor, or gas tube. And those cut-down "pistol" ARs don't even have recoil buffer springs, do they?
AR15 pistols, for the most part, have a buffer tube with a buffer and spring. There are some companies making a proprietary upper that is piston driven that eliminates the need for a buffer tube as the recoil spring and guide rod are built into the receiver. See pictured ARAK.

Otherwise most running direct impingement still has a featureless buffer tube off the back of the lower receiver. As pictured.

IMG_0415.JPG IMG_0416.JPG

AR15 pistols, for the most part, have a buffer tube with a buffer and spring. There are some companies making a proprietary upper that is piston driven that eliminates the need for a buffer tube as the recoil spring and guide rod are built into the receiver. See pictured ARAK.

Otherwise most running direct impingement still has a featureless buffer tube off the back of the lower receiver. As pictured.

View attachment 381672 View attachment 381673

I forgot about those bare tubes. I like them with an added forearm brace. Using one on each arm is perfect for when you are robbing a bank and intimidating the customers with two short bursts into the ceiling.

I forgot about those bare tubes. I like them with an added forearm brace. Using one on each arm is perfect for when you are robbing a bank and intimidating the customers with two short bursts into the ceiling.
Can't tell if serious, or a troll.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top