JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So...what exactly is the difference between a "pre-ban" & "post-ban" AR15 configuration? What are your preferences? I see that the companies offer both...but I'm not sure what the difference is. Help me to lower my level of black gun ignorance, please!!! :confused:

I believe what you are seeing is a reference to the configuration of rifles before and after the Clinton AWB of 1994. The law lasted for ten years and sunset in 2004. At the time, it precluded rifles with a pistol grip and that used a detachable magazine from having certain features like flash hiders, bayonet lugs, and telescoping or folding stocks. It also placed limits on what types of rifles could be imported. During the ban there were a lot of thumbhole stock rifles that had no flash hider.

While the federal law has expired, some states have passed laws that aped the AWB and put in place the same limitations and in some cases additional limitations. For people in some of those states, they may be able to possess a rifle that had the prohibited features if it was manufactured before the ban but they cannot if it was made after the ban. For example, the Clinton AWB placed a ban on full capacity / high capacity mags. Even though the law has expired some states enacted bans that allow full capacity / high capacity mags if manufactured before 1994 but not after. So a person in the state can have high capacity mags only if they are pre-ban.

A rifle with post-ban features is typically marketed to people who live in states where the state's version of the AWB precludes certain features. If you want to see it in its extreme form, look at AR-15 rifles marketed for CA. The bullet button mag release is a post-ban feature to make an AR-15 compliant with CA laws.

Thanks, I figured that it must have something to do w/ California (& other similar states) laws, but wasn't sure. I'm pleased to live in Oregon!

I understand Mr. Eric Holder has announced his intention to press for a new assault weapons ban to replace the one that expired in 2004.

Look for there to be another run on firearms this year.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads