JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now that the ban is on, what's a good post-ban choice? I saw some European IPSC where pump AR15s and odd traditional looking pumps were competing.

But semiautos are legal. However, the most obvious ones - the Ares/Fightlite, Garand, M1 Carbine Mini-14 and M1A all suffer from having heat shields.

Someone could certainly create stocks that work and look good while keeping the top of the barrel exposed - especially if a curly gas tube is used for the Ares. It will be interesting to see if the market reacts quickly or not. The Carbine has already been figured out.

flmh076o7vd51.jpg

My old SL7 also has a heat shield, but the HK rifles that were more sporterized like the 770 and 630 do not. Not exactly common, but phenomenal rifles.

The modern equivalent is probably the Benelli R1 rifles. They come in .223 up to .338 Mag, but .308 and 30-06 have 10 round mags available. Not cheap, but pretty cool.

Of course, the Remington 750 and its progenitors have been around forever, and meet all the requirements. They also aren't expensive and have 10 round mags for some calipers. It will be interesting to see if anyone brings these back. They had decent reputations, as did the pump versions.

Any post ban plans? Every other ban brought some interesting stuff to the market.

Post ban plans...
Vote pro gun...sign any sort ballot of repeal for this asinine law.

As for firearms...it really don't affect the firearms that I enjoy and collect.
However...I am against such laws simply because they don't do a damn bit of good...
And...once one gun law like this is passed....it makes it easier to pass more of them.

I do see a rise in popularity of older pump action rifles and semi autos like the aforementioned 760 ,740 and 750 series by Remington.
As well as lever action rifles.
Andy

Last Edited:
Post ban plans...
Vote pro gun...sign any sort ballot of repeal for this asinine law.

As for firearms...it really don't affect the firearms that I enjoy and collect.
However...I am against such laws simply because they don't do a damn bit of good...
And...once one gun law like this is passed....it makes it easier to pass more of them.

I do see a rise in popularity of older pump action rifles and semi autos like the aforementioned 760 and 740 series by Remington.
As well as lever action rifles.
Andy
Tagging you in a " for sale " near me.

Nvmd. You already saw the pump 32 20

Totally. Once the mag ban in '94 passed, we got a slew of concealed carry size guns which lead us directly to the next bit of gun control legislation: Concealed carry permits!

One thing I truly despise about gun bans , laws , requirements and the like is :
Just like Columbo ( Only not as cool or funny ) is that there is always , just one more thing waiting in the wings....
There never is end to the BS laws , bans , requirements , etc....
Andy
Peter Falk Detective GIF by PeacockTV

AR15 lever guns.

heck a classic traditional 30-30 or 357 lever is still a very effective self defense rifle. Even those are becomeing tactical now too.

Now that the ban is on, what's a good post-ban choice? I saw some European IPSC where pump AR15s and odd traditional looking pumps were competing.

But semiautos are legal. However, the most obvious ones - the Ares/Fightlite, Garand, M1 Carbine Mini-14 and M1A all suffer from having heat shields.

Someone could certainly create stocks that work and look good while keeping the top of the barrel exposed - especially if a curly gas tube is used for the Ares. It will be interesting to see if the market reacts quickly or not. The Carbine has already been figured out.

View attachment 1406529

My old SL7 also has a heat shield, but the HK rifles that were more sporterized like the 770 and 630 do not. Not exactly common, but phenomenal rifles.

The modern equivalent is probably the Benelli R1 rifles. They come in .223 up to .338 Mag, but .308 and 30-06 have 10 round mags available. Not cheap, but pretty cool.

Of course, the Remington 750 and its progenitors have been around forever, and meet all the requirements. They also aren't expensive and have 10 round mags for some calipers. It will be interesting to see if anyone brings these back. They had decent reputations, as did the pump versions.

Any post ban plans? Every other ban brought some interesting stuff to the market.
Bud light isn't banned yet. OP should just turn his in. You know for the children.

In case residents need it (since practically no one even knows it exists):

https://law.justia.com/constitution/washington/constitution-1.html

Hmm.
SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.
The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this Section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.
I can't see how this new law could be seen as not an impairment.

Garand, M1 Carbine Mini-14 and M1A all suffer from having heat shields.
1. The M1 Rifle "Garand" will not be affected because it doesn't have a removeable magazine.
2. I don't think the M1 Carbine is affected unless it has a folding stock and or a flash hider attached.
3. Most Ruger Mini-14's don't have "evil" features mentioned in HB 1240, except if they have a folding stock or a flash suppressor fitted.
4. The M1A is screwed, removeable mag and comes with flash suppressor. BUT: This rifle can be made with a "New York" front sight, which eliminates the suppressor. And aftermarket front sights without a suppressor can be bought and fitted to existing rifles. So there is a very legal work-around for these, as I see it. 5. As to "barrel shrouds." I think there will have to be a ruling subsequent to enactment that clarifies this point. Because original equipment handguards are not the same as aftermarket, metal shrouds that extend farther out onto the barrel. It's my (possibly naïve) belief that it was not intended to ban ordinary, normal upper handguards.

Remington 750
You mean Model 760, the slide action, and subsequent spin-offs. One such model came out after several eastern state banned "assault rifles." That was the Remington Model 7615 in .223 Rem. which was made to accept AR15 magazines.

Yes, I've been getting ready for this for a few years. I sold off all of my AR's except two, and sold all my M1A's. I didn't want them to be a problem for my missus. I've bought some single shots and bolt actions to replace them.

I'm not into the work-around AR's like they've come up with for California. The fiddly nature of those negates the genius of the design. Ditto a lever action AR.

Oh, and revisit pump shotguns for defensive purposes.

1. The M1 Rifle "Garand" will not be affected because it doesn't have a removeable magazine.
2. I don't think the M1 Carbine is affected unless it has a folding stock and or a flash hider attached.
3. Most Ruger Mini-14's don't have "evil" features mentioned in HB 1240, except if they have a folding stock or a flash suppressor fitted.
4. The M1A is screwed, removeable mag and comes with flash suppressor. BUT: This rifle can be made with a "New York" front sight, which eliminates the suppressor. And aftermarket front sights without a suppressor can be bought and fitted to existing rifles. So there is a very legal work-around for these, as I see it. 5. As to "barrel shrouds." I think there will have to be a ruling subsequent to enactment that clarifies this point. Because original equipment handguards are not the same as aftermarket, metal shrouds that extend farther out onto the barrel. It's my (possibly naïve) belief that it was not intended to ban ordinary, normal upper handguards.

You mean Model 760, the slide action, and subsequent spin-offs. One such model came out after several eastern state banned "assault rifles." That was the Remington Model 7615 in .223 Rem. which was made to accept AR15 magazines.

Yes, I've been getting ready for this for a few years. I sold off all of my AR's except two, and sold all my M1A's. I didn't want them to be a problem for my missus. I've bought some single shots and bolt actions to replace them.

I'm not into the work-around AR's like they've come up with for California. The fiddly nature of those negates the genius of the design. Ditto a lever action AR.

Oh, and revisit pump shotguns for defensive purposes.
1. You are correct! The Garand is not affected.
2-4. These rifles all have heat shields over the top of the barrel. See OP.

I meant the model 750, which is a semiauto with a detachable mag but no other "features".

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews