JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One of the popular features of this forum is the classifieds.
I have bought and sold a few items here.
I have noticed that a great many of the AR's listed for sale, have the safety selector switch in the "fire" position.
I try to be safe with my firearms. If I'm not going to shoot right now - then the safety is "on".
I'm not trying to be petty - But, there is a limited amount of things a person can talk about concerning shooting. However, an accidental discharge may abruptly end all talk forever.

When taking pictures of my rifles it being on safe or fire is a decision based entirely on whim at the moment of taking said picture. Its more of an aesthetic thing, and most likely the person taking the photo made sure the magazine was empty and that there was nothing in the chamber.

Out of habit, I safty check every F/A that I handle... every time I pick it up. Even if I've just been holding it, set it down, and then picked it back up seconds later, I check it again.... 2-3 times to make sure I'm seeing it right....
And only 2 are put away loaded, for home defense.
That said, If I've taken one of my firearms out to being handled, and photographed it has first been safety checked, and then staged for effect(lighting, background, etc). And when selling an AR, I usally have been dry firing it to feel/measure the trigger as part of the description. Also many safety selectors have a 60* "short throw"... a feature that I like to show off when photographing them.
I was just looking at some of the pictures I've taken of my AR15, and in many of them the selector is in the fire position.

FYI- I store my two "ready" AR's with loaded mags in the magwells, bolts forward on empty chambers with the hammers forward which prevents the weapons' safeties from going into safe.

This renders them perfectly safe until you purposely pull the charging-handle ALLLLLL the way back to reset the hammer and charge a round into the chamber without having to fumble with the safety lever or slapping in a magazine under stress (and potentially in the dark).

FYI- I store my two "ready" AR's with loaded mags in the magwells, bolts forward on empty chambers with the hammers forward which prevents the weapons' safeties from going into safe.

This renders them perfectly safe until you purposely pull the charging-handle ALLLLLL the way back to reset the hammer and charge a round into the chamber without having to fumble with the safety lever or slapping in a magazine under stress (and potentially in the dark).
Yes! I want a few of these....
45BDC65B-5F07-4F59-8973-633BF8D0D195.jpeg

You cannot rotate the AR15 selector switch to safe when the hammer is down. if you want to see the safety on, you need to pull back the charging handle an reset the trigger.

1911 - one in the chamber, hammer half cocked

12ga - no shell in the chamber, slide ready to rack

Glock - full mag and empty chamber around the house. Leave the house and it is in a holster with one in the pipe

AR - bolt back and mags in the safe

Safe is unlocked when home and locked when I leave

Powder , patch and ball down the bore...power in horn , flints and or caps in bag ready to go ...
If there is more than one intruder I'll have 'em stand in line to make multiple copies...:eek::D

In all seriousness , I always check any firearm I come into contact with , keep my finger off the trigger , until I am ready to shoot and watch where my muzzle is pointing....
Keep things simple....
Andy

I have noticed that a great many of the AR's listed for sale, have the safety selector switch in the "fire" position.
I try to be safe with my firearms. If I'm not going to shoot right now - then the safety is "on".
I'm not trying to be petty - But, there is a limited amount of things a person can talk about concerning shooting. However, an accidental discharge may abruptly end all talk forever.

You probably have a condom on right now, don't you? o_O

You probably have a condom on right now, don't you? o_O
You don't? Can never be too careful..
A crazy junkie walked up to a 2 dudes standing at a bus stop..
He says "give me all your $$ or I'll poke you with my dirty aids infested drug using needle"
Dude 1 quickly complies, but Dude2 refuses, so the junkie stabs him with the needle, and runs away to spend Dude1s $$ on drugs and maybe a fidget spinner or something fun like that..

Dude 1.."Are you crazy? You might have just contracted aids!"
Dude 2.. "No worries, I've got a condom on!"

What @Stomper said. Stored firearms shouldn't have cocked hammers. In the military this was referred to as "rack safe."

Yes, you would never store firearms with the safety on and especially loaded. I completely disagree with the OP concerning AR15 storage. Safety on means the hammer is locked back and potentially has one in the chamber. Fire position is the proper method of storage and pic taking.

You may get educated on the subject of why most of us store our weapons with the hammers down. I was taught this when I was 12 years old. Do it with all my weapons. It's better for the hammer spring.

IF handled correctly , even a loaded and cocked firearm with the safety on "fire" , poses no danger...
Granted that two letter word "If" , can bring a world trouble to you...but that is not the fault of the gun , only the person who misused it....

Many , if not most of my firearms have no safeties at all , other than keeping your finger off the trigger and muzzle discipline ...Which is nice 'cause I can use that "safety" with any firearm ...:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR