JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would recommend going to a few forums to try to separate fan boy hype and real life results and data. 68forums.com is a wealth of knowledge on the 6.8 as well as other cartridges. I spend a fair amount of time there. If you can reload, the 6.8 spcII is the way to go if you are shooting out to 400 yds in my opinion. Beyond that there are better choices. Grendel bolts tend to break a little easier if you don't get a quality one. My next build is going to most likely be a Grendel though. I personally don't like the BO for hunting, shoving a larger bullet into an already small case leaving even less room for powder doesn't work in my mind. It does have it's place though. I took this deer at just over 200 yards this year with my 16" ARP 6.8spc. I have all the confidence that I can go out to 300 yards with factory ammo and still make an ethical kill. Beyond that is is more to do with my skills than the gun. Just a few of my random thoughts.

IMG_4778.JPG IMG_4774.JPG

7.62x39.
Ammo is plentiful, cheap and could be a 200 yard gun. Think of it as a 30/30 or similar ballistics.
I'm in a middle of building one as we speak and putting a 1-6 scope on it.
I also have a CZ carbine bolt action in 76239 and it's moa shooter with silver bear ammo.
There have been a lot of feed issues with 7.62x39 on the AR-15 platform, it has to do with the arc of the magazine. My suggestion would be the .300AAC Blackout as it is perfect for shorter ranges out to 200yds and you can use a heavier projectile like a 185gr or even a 220gr.

There have been a lot of feed issues with 7.62x39 on the AR-15 platform, it has to do with the arc of the magazine. My suggestion would be the .300AAC Blackout as it is perfect for shorter ranges out to 200yds and you can use a heavier projectile like a 185gr or even a 220gr.

While I wouldn't quite compare them to an ak for reliability, the 2- 7.62x39 AR uppers I have built are quite reliable and don't suffer from the feed issues many have experienced in the past. I am about to embark on my third 7.62x39 build which will be a 11" barreled pistol upper so we shall see how well it runs.

I'll take the one with the blue-tipped boolit...
View attachment 420790
Left to right :
30 Remington AR
450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM
50 Beowulf

I guess people have more money than I (I'm sure of this). It seems that people have an over-developed sense of "need". The Beowulf and SOCOM are great solutions, but if you can use a .308 Winchester to good effect, a 16" barreled AR-10 appears to be a more "cost-effective" solution.

Another "creative" approach might be to use a 308. Winchester case opened to accept a .50" 325-grain projectile at substantial velocities.

Problem solved.

I guess people have more money than I (I'm sure of this). It seems that people have an over-developed sense of "need". The Beowulf and SOCOM are great solutions, but if you can use a .308 Winchester to good effect, a 16" barreled AR-10 appears to be a more "cost-effective" solution.

Another "creative" approach might be to use a 308. Winchester case opened to accept a .50" 325-grain projectile at substantial velocities.

Problem solved.
I'm in a situation where I have ample play money and 458 SOCOM has been a bucket list item for me.
In fact, I have all the main components inbound for a side-charging 458 SOCOM.
It will be well north of $1500 when I'm done.

A 308AR would be more cost-effective, but there's just something cool about a USGI mag suddenly becoming a single-stacker when you shove in the first big bore cartridge.
Yep, in reality it's a range toy for me and chicks dig it.

:)

Bear Creek Arsenal puts out a complete AR in 7.62X39 for $399 - Classic Arms sells their brand also. My son bought four! They are very reliable and are like having a 20-shot 30-30 on hand. The reliability issue with the mags is a non-issue solved years ago.

I'm in a situation where I have ample play money and 458 SOCOM has been a bucket list item for me.
In fact, I have all the main components inbound for a side-charging 458 SOCOM.
It will be well north of $1500 when I'm done.

A 308AR would be more cost-effective, but there's just something cool about a USGI mag suddenly becoming a single-stacker when you shove in the first big bore cartridge.
Yep, in reality it's a range toy for me and chicks dig it.

Are you looking to kill hogs, or impress women? Jeez! I thought that it was about effectively killing hogs using an AR platform. No one said that we were constrained to using the AR-15 platform.

But then, what do I know? :p

IMHO .308 is overkill but if that's what you have - use it. These are pigs, not rhinos! I have shot deer, bear, and elk with 30-30. Just don't gut-shoot 'em and expect them to drop in their tracks no matter what you use.

Are you looking to kill hogs, or impress women? Jeez! I thought that it was about effectively killing hogs using an AR platform. No one said that we were constrained to using the AR-15 platform.

But then, what do I know? :p
I do have family in Texas, so Texas hogs and Texas women have just been added to the bucket list.
You're costing me money, pal.

Edit:
I do think that a helo hunt with a 6.8SPC would be tops though.
25 round pig whacker vs. 11 round pig destroyer.

I do have family in Texas, so Texas hogs and Texas women have just been added to the bucket list.
You're costing me money, pal.

Edit:
I do think that a helo hunt with a 6.8SPC would be tops though.
25 round pig whacker vs. 11 round pig destroyer.

Had you said "Florida hog" destroyer, I pictured someone decimating my excessively corpulent sister-in-law.

My mistake.

Without sounding facetious, I want to state that the harder you hit the hog, the safer you are.

1. You are not hunting the animal for food.
  2. You are attempting the quickest, most humane kill possible.
  3. This is not a "bragging contest" about the most highly-tailored rifle/cartridge in the hunting camp.
  4. You are acting in the most ethical, responsible manner possible.
Isn't the premise removing these beasts from the gene pool?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads