JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just ignore it. The way it is written is vague. As long as you aren't doing anything threatening, you're fine. They might say something to you, but you can just respond saying you haven't done anything to threaten anybody and some people are unreasonably sensitive. They aren't going to kick you out because you are exercising a right as long as you don't threaten anyone. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Its not that difficult to get a CHL in California if you are in the right county. Kern County is pretty shall issue as are a few others to varying degrees.
"If"?

I know its possible but no where in Cali is it a "shall issue" condition.

I do find it ironic the OP is complaining about an apt policy but putting his trust in a California permit.

I rarely open carry but, when traveling, do just wear a T shirt for comfort. When I was working, I lived in Ellensburg and had an apartment in a questionable part of Kent. We had no restrictions on weapons that were stated but I never flaunted. I did have some issues with one neighbor, but after returning to Kent on hot Sunday afternoon the neighbor's wife spotted my pistol. End off issues, never any comments made. Turned out to be a very nice couple.

"If"?

I know its possible but no where in Cali is it a "shall issue" condition.

I do find it ironic the OP is complaining about an apt policy but putting his trust in a California permit.
It's more than possible. Several counties in the state actually will issue permits to anyone with a clean record at the discretion of the sheriff and those sheriff's actually will issue them.

It's more than possible. Several counties in the state actually will issue permits to anyone with a clean record at the discretion of the sheriff and those sheriff's actually will issue them.

I know its possible but "at their discretion" is not an example of a right and ripe with problems for living in the state... Unless your content with just living in certain counties most people dont have that luxury. Then all it takes is an anti gun sheriff to win the next election....

What do I think? I think gawd and all his internet critters now know the address of the apartment complex you live at because you didn't block that part out.... that's what I initially think, anyway.

:eek:

Maybe we call all join him, walking back and forth between our vehicles, open carrying of course. :p

As it's legal to OC in Texas if you have a License To Carry, I OC at times: Once I am out of the store and into the store parking lot, I remove my cover vest. I chuck it into the cab, I'm then OCing - I thenproceed to start unloading groceries (or what have you) into the back of my pick up. I feel rather vulnerable while unloading, plus if left on the vest gets somewhat in my way. While OCing I don't feel nearly as vulnerable to parking lot criminals. To be sure, I keep my head on a swivel when unloading...

I OC any time I fuel up.

Gas stations are the places I've most been given a strangers hard luck story while I stand there rooted in the spot for the moment while fueling up.

Since I started OCing while fueling this annoyance has become a thing of the past.

OCing has it's place.

As it's legal to OC in Texas if you have a License To Carry, I OC at times: Once I am out of the store and into the store parking lot, I remove my cover vest. I chuck it into the cab, I'm then OCing - I thenproceed to start unloading groceries (or what have you) into the back of my pick up. I feel rather vulnerable while unloading, plus if left on the vest gets somewhat in my way. While OCing I don't feel nearly as vulnerable to parking lot criminals. To be sure, I keep my head on a swivel when unloading...

I OC any time I fuel up.

Gas stations are the places I've most been given a strangers hard luck story while I stand there rooted in the spot for the moment while fueling up.

Since I started OCing while fueling this annoyance has become a thing of the past.

OCing has it's place.

Its a deterrent and it works well. Its helped me stay away from trouble or should I say its helped trouble stay away from me more than once. What the soccer moms think about it I could care less.

Geographically most of California is shall issue or close to it. By population however it is difficult to obtain, because the high population counties have sheriffs who refuse to issue, e.g. SF and LA. CalGuns has a color coded map.

I neglected to mention: I also OC at times when in my yard (no LTC required for this in Texas) and sometimes if I'm doing work in the yard that'll raise up sawdust or aerosolized dust, like when mowing. At those times I put my pistol in a zippered pouch similar to a fanny pack to keep it clean. Ah, with a spare fully load magazine too.

But whatever the situation, I'm always armed in my yard.

I don't concern myself about some leftist having a meltdown as I always wear my MAGA cap while out in my yard too...though the likelihood of a leftist cretin giving me grief about is about a billion to one.

I say do what you gotta do.
But if you choose to take the path most conflicted, when other options were known to be available, then own up to any fallout from your decisions without whining, you went into it, fully aware of the potential controversy.
Right or wrong, martyrdom won't automatically get you memorialized or even accepted.

The wording highlighted in the contract does not expressly condemn carrying an open weapon, but only doing so in a way that alarms others. I believe you are right to continue open carry, particularly as you are not in possession of a CHL. If they want to remind you again and push the issue, perhaps they can use more specific wording at the time.
My thoughts exactly , it didn't say absolutely no firearms in the open, and you weren't brandishing, your good and they don't have a foot to stand on with that wording. Like these poorly written anti-2A laws that only politicians vote on, if the wording is badly written and/or the people don't vote it isn't enforceable, or at least shouldn't be.

People here talking about your making 2A look bad are sounding pretty poopy themselves. But that's the "firearms community" for ya... we are to the point we either stand together or fall one by one.
And then you shot your self in the foot moving to Commiefornia...

People here talking about your making 2A look bad are sounding pretty poopy themselves. But that's the "firearms community" for ya... we are to the point we either stand together or fall one by one.

Yeah. I'm not gonna stand with folks that think open carrying an AR slung at low ready is the best way to represent gun owners and the 2A.

Not aimed at the OP here.

And I think taking a brash "I don't care" attitude regarding someone else's property is strange coming from members that generally care VERY MUCH about their own property and rights therein.............

I dont see much difference between what you do on your own property and what you do when you are renting that property from someone else. You are paying for it to be your property while you are paying rent. If there is a legally allowed enforceable provision in the lease stating you cannot carry a firearm while transiting to your domicile then that is what it is. If its just something ambiguous with no legal teeth then screw it.

I dont see much difference between what you do on your own property and what you do when you are renting that property from someone else. You are paying for it to be your property while you are paying rent. If there is a legally allowed enforceable provision in the lease stating you cannot carry a firearm while transiting to your domicile then that is what it is. If its just something ambiguous with no legal teeth then screw it.

No, you're not. You're paying to "use" said property under rules that you agreed to. Doesn't make it "yours" in any way.

I would add that the people saying that OC can and does create negative feedback are merely stating a FACT!

Don't believe me - Strap up and take a walk.

People have a God Given inalienable right to BBQ, but fire up the Hibatchi on your porch and see how that flies.

It is also my right, in my city, to play loud music until 10PM. So while blasting Passage to Bangkok at 9:45 is not against the rules, it will not endear me to me neighbors, either.

I guess asking if that is hard to comprehend IS probably a rhetorical question at this point.:rolleyes:

No, you're not. You're paying to "use" said property under rules that you agreed to. Doesn't make it "yours" in any way.

Rules that are not legally enforceable arent worth the paper they're written on or not written on. Tenants have a wide variety of rights in their homes that rival what home owners enjoy. The question being common areas. Rule or no rule my guess is their prohibition of dispayed firearms in common areas is not legally enforceable. Having been a landlord for quite some time, and never again, I got to see how most of what I put on paper was just me straining my hand typing stuff.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews