JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My Luger is hungry again and I'm down to my last box of Hirtenberger NATO spec. Not having much luck finding any NATO spec. 9MM The White box Winchester NATO spec isnt stout enough. I need real NATO spec 124 grain ball. Anyone know of a source?

Lugers have a bad rap for being unreliable because they often get fed that crap SAAMI spec bilge rot ammo that passes for 9MM in the US. Pour the ammo they were designed for in the mag and they run great.

Interesting. The Luger pistol was first manufactured in 1900, and the 9x19 Parabellum
cartridge was introduced in the Luger in 1902.

NATO came into existence in 1949.

Having a little trouble with:

"Pour the ammo they were designed for in the mag and they run great"

NATO spec 9mm was patterned after the old German load. We changed the name to "NATO Spec" but it was always a 1200 FPS 124 grain load. Its what we call +P+ The SAAMI stuff is a pathetic 2nd.

Never had much luck reloading for the Luger. They are very sensitive to case dimensions and 1K of 9mm surplus is cheap enough that I dont bother . Some guns I dont reload for. The Luger is one of them. Its my only 9MM.

Last Edited:
Never had much luck reloading for the Luger. They are very sensitive to case dimensions and 1K of 9mm surplus is cheap enough that I dont bother . Some guns I dont reload for. The Luger is not of them. Its my only 9MM.
Yea, they've only been making it for like 115 years. One of these days your luck might come in.
lol

If "They" would like to load me up some NATO spec 9MM in 124 grain that will reliably cycle a toggle link action Luger I'd appreciate it. Most off the shelf 115 and US made 124 grain wont run reliably in a Luger. Its not as easy to get in this country as you'd think.

I'm actually relatively curious on this now, it seems reasonable knowing what I know about the luger, that a heavier bullet may be what you're looking for. The action is composed of two steps, the first being the recoil setback, and the second one being a relatively high-pressure assist after the toggle unlocks.

Somewhere around here, I have a collection of as much factory documentation I could find from the Polte/Magdaberg ammunition factory.

Polte-Wolf-G-7b-669x908.jpg

If "They" would like to load me up some NATO spec 9MM in 124 grain that will reliably cycle a toggle link action Luger I'd appreciate it. Most off the shelf 115 and US made 124 grain wont run reliably in a Luger. Its not as easy to get in this country as you'd think.
This is the load we settled on to duplicate the 124gr NATO load:
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

It's a little more spendy at almost 8gr of BlueDot though, and chronos at around 1,220 fps.
It's impossible to double charge too.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads