Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone have a Ruger Alaskan?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by P7id10T, Nov 26, 2015.

1. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I wanted to know what your inpression of the rifle was.
    Thanks!

2. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I had an African in .375 Ruger for a while. I put it in a Hogue stock and basically made a long barreled Alaskan.
    I really liked it. The trigger was ok and the rifle shot very well. The 375 can shoot a 260-270gr bullet just like an '06 will with a 180gr.
    Like all of the Ruger MKII or Hawkeyes I've had, it functioned flawlessly and was more than accurate enough.

3. P7id10T

Orygun, I read you were going to convert it to a 30-375 Ruger. Did you ever go through with that, and how'd it turn out?

4. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I had daydreams about necking the 375 down to 30, but never followed thru with it.
    still, i think it sounds like fun.

5. P7id10T

I was thinking of doing a 7mm-375 Ruger after considering that and a 7mm-300RCM. I guess they call it a 7LRM.
    Not sure what action to build it on: Savage, Howa, Rem or Ruger. I have the first two to play with if I want to break down other guns. If I can get my hands on a Rem or Ruger action for cheap enough, I'd do it on one of those. Rem for the reasons we all know, and Ruger for the heck of it.