JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In my quest to stockpile ammo, and to have at least one good gun for each purpose, I've made a firm decision to reduce my number of calibers.

1. All handguns will be .40 S&W or .22lr. (I'm not saying .40 is best, it's just where I'm going, for me.)

2. All shotguns - defensive, deer including 2 legged, or bird will be 12 ga. All ammo will be 2 3/4 00 buck, slug, and two sizes of bird.

3. All rifles will be 5.56 Nato/.223, .308/7.62 or .22lr.

4. I will keep a couple of Glock 19's because of the Nato ammo in a SHTF scenario, but that's just in case I might find some ammo. I'll keep about 1,000 rounds for them just in case.

5. All guns of the same type will be same make and model for parts. If one breaks, it's a parts gun for the others.

6. I can't use 100 guns. Except for being able to arm a relative if needed, or to have a spare if one breaks, and to have some .22lr's for barter, the gun count is coming down and the ammo count is going up. (I don't have 100 guns - just making a point.)

Is anyone else thinking this way?

Right there with you. It's easier for me as I have a limited gun cabinet but the thinking is the same. All current "tools" are pretty standard calibers, and all future purchases will be same calibers already in the tool box with the exeption of NATO calibers that I don't own yet and would be easiest to find in times of military type conflict.

Yes. Started to have too many ammo boxes of this cal. and that cal.
Have gone to the .45 acp for my pistols and some .38 special for the wheels.

The 12 ga. is ready with a good supply of 2 3/4" 00 and slugs and the Model 70 is the long range with 300 win. mags.

Don't know why but I still have a G19 in the safe and plenty of 9mm for it. I may still rig it up with a light and make it the night time home gun.

Will

So:D:D:D The government decides you have the right to keep and bare arms but not military calibers (Mexico doesn't allow military calibers for the people) and tells you only sporting guns. Hope it all works out for you:s0112::s0112:

jj

In my quest to stockpile ammo, and to have at least one good gun for each purpose, I've made a firm decision to reduce my number of calibers.

Is anyone else thinking this way?

Yup. Don't call it a come back, Been doin' it for years... Hard to let go of some of the beauties in the safe but am finally getting around to it.

.30-06
7.62x39
12 G
9mm
.22 LR

I keep 7.62 NATO and 6.5 Grendell as "hobby" calibers but am reducing # of FALs.

SF-

9mm
.45 ACP
.22LR

5.56/.223
12ga

Thats all that I stock currently. Handguns I probably wont ever add another. If I do, it might be a revolver in .38/.357, but I wouldnt stockpile ammo for it.

I stock

9mm
.223/5.56
30/30
5.7x28
12ga

I understand the logic in not wanting to have to buy lots of different rounds but if you already have the gun and already have the ammo what does it really hurt to hold onto it?

I wouldn't say I have a whole lot of calibers, but at the same time, I don't think it will dictate what guns I buy(the only gun I ever sold I regretted, so I only buy guns).

Let me give a contrarian view though. Don't we all remember what was available on the shelf at Wally World and Bi-Mart when you went to look for ammo. during the crunch this past couple of years? That's right, just the oddball stuff.

So I think that a bunch of each are in order.

My collection is just starting to grow, but I have already planned on sticking to these...

9mm
45ACP
.22lr

.223/5.56
.308/7.62
12G

And a .300 Win Mag for big zombies!:s0155:

I wouldn't say I have a whole lot of calibers, but at the same time, I don't think it will dictate what guns I buy(the only gun I ever sold I regretted, so I only buy guns).

Let me give a contrarian view though. Don't we all remember what was available on the shelf at Wally World and Bi-Mart when you went to look for ammo. during the crunch this past couple of years? That's right, just the oddball stuff.

So I think that a bunch of each are in order.

If you plan well and stockpile, you won't be worried about what is on the shelves at wally world during a crunch.

I think it's important to stock very common calibers that can be bartered if needed.

Mine:

7.62x39
12ga
.22lr
40S&W

Everything else I have small amounts of ammo for (hunting rifles, small caliber pistols)

While I agree that stockpiling for future issues is improtant, I see no need to get rid of the current guns I have for fear of not being able to get my hands on it.

Stock piling:
40 S&W
7.62x39
22 LR
12 ga
380 ( I know... please don't throw fruit. It's for the Wifey's pistol. What do you do? I have 860 rounds on hand right now. Working to get it up to 1200 and never get below 1000)

Will continue to purchase but only in reasonable amounts:
7mm Rem mag ; elk hunting (I reload my own)
243; deer and antelope (reload for this too)
17 HMR

So:D:D:D The government decides you have the right to keep and bare arms but not military calibers (Mexico doesn't allow military calibers for the people) and tells you only sporting guns. Hope it all works out for you:s0112::s0112:

jj

The problem is, nearly all popular commercial ammunition, even .22lr and 12g, is or has been used as a military cartridge by some country somewhere. If a 'sporting ammunition' ban goes into effect, there will be precious little to choose from...maybe .22 short.

Keith

Stop hogging all the ammos guys...

Over 2000 rounds of 308 (surplus, tracers, AP, match ammos)
Over 3000 rounds of 7.62X39 (surplus and wolf)
Over 4000 rounds of .22 LR all brands
Around 3000 rounds of 45 (reload)
Around 4000 rounds of 9mm all brands and reload
Less then 1K of 40
Less then 500 of 380 auto

Not including what ever I buy whenever I get a chance

Moving all this ammo is a pain in the back......

I started doing this not that long ago I have gone with 7.62x39,45ACP,12g,. I still have a few others like 22s and the wifes 357/38 but they would probably become barter material if things came to that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top