JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My friends dad had one and i LOVED shooting it. I want a 500 mag but everyone I know who has shot one say its very unpleasant.
I have a S&W 500 and it is not unpleasant to shoot. The key there is to only shoot your own reloads, and don't try to copy commercial loads. If you keep the power level down, it can be about like shooting a 44 special. I think they all come with a muzzle brake, so it is fun to take to the range and listen to all the remarks from the peanut gallery. With loads like that I can shoot it one handed and sometimes I do. When they look at your 500 and then back at their little 380, they start to think that maybe you a Rambo or something like that.
Believe me, I am no Rambo. I do enjoy shooting handguns that roar.

I have a S&W 500 and it is not unpleasant to shoot. The key there is to only shoot your own reloads, and don't try to copy commercial loads. If you keep the power level down, it can be about like shooting a 44 special. I think they all come with a muzzle brake, so it is fun to take to the range and listen to all the remarks from the peanut gallery. With loads like that I can shoot it one handed and sometimes I do. When they look at your 500 and then back at their little 380, they start to think that maybe you a Rambo or something like that.
Believe me, I am no Rambo. I do enjoy shooting handguns that roar.

Yeah, I know the feeling a little, I try to stay away from other shooters when I have my Weatherby at the range. If someone sits next to me, they dont last long :p. Its kinda the same with my SCAR, my buddy always hates sitting by me when I shoot it.

I practice with my handguns because I carry all the time and need to keep my handgun skills sharp. However, I don't really enjoy it all that much. I'd really rather be shooting my AK or AR.

Over the last few years I have learned that I really do not enjoy shooting pistols. I dont know, to me, shooting a handgun feels like work while a long gun is more enjoyment.
Also, I am leaning to less tacticool long-guns, like my m48. I even started only loading 5 rounds into a SCAR mag rather then the 20 it will take.

Maybe I am getting old :p
I could say I prefer long guns, with the exception of my 45LC Blackhawk. I think it is a 7.5 inch barrel. It feels like it is getting darn close to a rifle. There is just something to cocking that big hammer back and feeling the tactile clicks of a wheel gun.

I've hunted ever since I could safely hold a rifle or shotgun. Own several of different gauges & calibers & black powder for whatever is in season at the time. Have half a dozen handguns of varying calibers and while they are fun to shoot, I mostly practice to keep in tune for conceal carry. My bigger enjoyment now is shooting WWII military rifles. My two sons and I have have an assortment of Arisakas, Mausers and Mosin Nagants between us that we compete against each other and on occasion we'll also do vintage shooting events. With no optics...I find this levels the playing field immensely. Kind of like putting your money where your mouth is on how good you can hit a target at distance. At my age though, I'm finding my eyes aren't what they used to be but I can still give the "kids" a good run for their money. One thing about these old military rifles is that they don't lose value and you can certainly have a lot of fun with them and wonder about their history. If only they could talk.

I like shooting my handguns however it is frustrating, being right handed and left eye dominant makes accuracy (not just in the black) difficult. I tend to lean towards my rifles and folding AR pistol, as I am much more comfortable and accurate. All this being said I am investing allot this summer in one on one training to help correct some of my pistol and rifle deficiencies. I am to competitive to continue not improving.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top