JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For the USA.
Please remind me again.....
But where does it say anything about a license?

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

+++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++

BUT, But, but.......
IF the UK wishes to "limit" internet access (or guns) to their citizens. Does it make you wonder.....WHY?

Aloha, Mark

To most earnestly try to assess the "I am going to go kill random people" mentality. A serious look needs to be taken at what is different from 80-100 years ago compared to the last 20 years or so now

I know one hypothesis that I think has merit (among others as well) is that comparatively life is just too easy now. People really don't have to seriously put any effort into life to exist, and that kind of situation can rot the human spirit/psyche. When you are working hard to be alive and make a better life for yourself/family, those evil ideas don't have as much time to dance in your mind.

Then there is the proliferation of media/information across the world wide web. People used to be somewhat restricted to their own imaginations with what they could see/think about. Now people can have all kinds of gore and depraved ideas fed to them through media or the internet, to some extent there must be some type of conditioning occurring there.

I will also say that I grew up playing first person shooter video games where the entire point of the game was to go kill the opposing players and since millions of kids play those every year without becoming mass murderers, I am not going to blame that.

Psychotropic drugs seems to be a common theme with these murderers though, but also the notion that "the world has wronged" them in some way and they are going to in return take it out to "get the lack laugh" so to speak.

Partly I wonder if secularism plays a large role in this because people who believe they are going to spend eternity in a lake of fire for doing something terrible are, all things being otherwise equal, probably less inclind to do something terrible than compared to someone who thinks that this life is absolutely it, nothing else but ceasing to exist.
I have a somewhat different take. What's different now from 100 years ago is that one's self-worth was tied up in whatever it was one did every day to make a living. Life was real, and one could measure himself against his peers in his own world. There were no limits to what a man could do just by working hard and being determined.

Today, we don't even let kids really work until they are 18 years old, and then they are expected to go to school for another few years. They've been told that they need a good college education to be successful. In the media they see shows about parking lot attendants and bar tenders who live in penthouses, drive Ferraris, and date lingerie models. The interesting, successful people are doctors, lawyers, detectives, actors, musicians, and business tycoons. They are fed a narrative that everyone but them is living high on the hog and has half the day free every day.

Their reality is that they are lucky if they have a job flipping burgers at $10 per hour, 25 hours per week. They don't have enough money to live on their own, have a girlfriend, get married, have kids, or own a car, much less a house. They can't see a bridge from where they are to where they want to be, and are told they ought to be. My kids have sold candy for youth organizations, sometimes on holidays on busy street corners. They routinely encounter 20-something people who don't even have a spare dollar for a bar of candy. And it's not a ruse. I've seen them open their wallets to find only empty space.

So looking at things from the mass shooter's point of view, he is a failure at the age of 19 with no hope of ever being anything else. He can't afford college, no girl will look at him because he doesn't have two nickels to rub together, he's stuck in a dead end job if he's lucky enough to have one, he's told that all of this is his own fault. If he's not driving a Corvette with a cheerleader in the passenger seat headed to his bachelor pad complete with a hot tub in the bedroom it's his own fault. There has to be something irreparably wrong with him. According to the media, everyone else has all these things and he's just a monumental failure.

His reaction to all of this is generalized anger. He's angry at the system, the schools, women, employers, and the media. But he has no way to express his anger at the whole universe, so he turns it inward. He hates himself for being a failure, for being weak, for being stupid, for being gullible, for believing the "success" narrative to begin with. He hates himself because in his own assessment, he's a perpetual, eternal loser. Such anger turned inward becomes depression, and that kind of depression leads to suicide. But since he's also enraged at the world, and specifically the school, women, and the powers that be, they become his targets as he makes his permanent exit. Of course he wants that exit to be as public and horrific as possible. It's his revenge upon society for mistreating him.

It's a matter of expectations. I've seen it with my two 20-something males. Despite my best efforts to educate them as they grew up about hard work and patience, the media has told them a story about how they should have everything, and have it now. They couldn't understand why they were 25 and not "filthy rich" as they put it. They hatched several get rich quick schemes that all went down in flames because they thought it would be easy, not hard. They are beginning to get the idea now at 25 and 26 that things come with hard work and time, not instantly while they are playing video games.

I have a somewhat different take. What's different now from 100 years ago is that one's self-worth was tied up in whatever it was one did every day to make a living. Life was real, and one could measure himself against his peers in his own world. There were no limits to what a man could do just by working hard and being determined.

Today, we don't even let kids really work until they are 18 years old, and then they are expected to go to school for another few years. They've been told that they need a good college education to be successful. In the media they see shows about parking lot attendants and bar tenders who live in penthouses, drive Ferraris, and date lingerie models. The interesting, successful people are doctors, lawyers, detectives, actors, musicians, and business tycoons. They are fed a narrative that everyone but them is living high on the hog and has half the day free every day.

Their reality is that they are lucky if they have a job flipping burgers at $10 per hour, 25 hours per week. They don't have enough money to live on their own, have a girlfriend, get married, have kids, or own a car, much less a house. They can't see a bridge from where they are to where they want to be, and are told they ought to be. My kids have sold candy for youth organizations, sometimes on holidays on busy street corners. They routinely encounter 20-something people who don't even have a spare dollar for a bar of candy. And it's not a ruse. I've seen them open their wallets to find only empty space.

So looking at things from the mass shooter's point of view, he is a failure at the age of 19 with no hope of ever being anything else. He can't afford college, no girl will look at him because he doesn't have two nickels to rub together, he's stuck in a dead end job if he's lucky enough to have one, he's told that all of this is his own fault. If he's not driving a Corvette with a cheerleader in the passenger seat headed to his bachelor pad complete with a hot tub in the bedroom it's his own fault. There has to be something irreparably wrong with him. According to the media, everyone else has all these things and he's just a monumental failure.

His reaction to all of this is generalized anger. He's angry at the system, the schools, women, employers, and the media. But he has no way to express his anger at the whole universe, so he turns it inward. He hates himself for being a failure, for being weak, for being stupid, for being gullible, for believing the "success" narrative to begin with. He hates himself because in his own assessment, he's a perpetual, eternal loser. Such anger turned inward becomes depression, and that kind of depression leads to suicide. But since he's also enraged at the world, and specifically the school, women, and the powers that be, they become his targets as he makes his permanent exit. Of course he wants that exit to be as public and horrific as possible. It's his revenge upon society for mistreating him.

It's a matter of expectations. I've seen it with my two 20-something males. Despite my best efforts to educate them as they grew up about hard work and patience, the media has told them a story about how they should have everything, and have it now. They couldn't understand why they were 25 and not "filthy rich" as they put it. They hatched several get rich quick schemes that all went down in flames because they thought it would be easy, not hard. They are beginning to get the idea now at 25 and 26 that things come with hard work and time, not instantly while they are playing video games.
That's a lot to unpack, but the reason those 20 year old somethings didn't have any cash when they opened there wallet is because credit cards that pay 2-5% cash back on purchases are better than using cash.

For as long as there has been TV there have been unrealistic portrayals of success compared to reality. So what is different about today's media compared to previous decades except that kids are raised softer today.

I do agree that children are coddled in the West now more than ever and as a result a prolonged childhood leads 20-30 year olds to still be living like children, that ultimately is a combination of their parents and their own fault though. When I was 13 years old I was making a couple hundred a weekend refereeing soccer games, but I still had a relatively easy going upbringing.

By comparison, my great grandfather started working in the coal mine when he was 11 because his dad died and he had to support the family until he turned 17 and joined the marines.

I think if we boil it all down, people need a purpose, like you said, and to see a bridge from where they are to where they want to go, but it also has to be a realistic outcome. Learning to be content with less, but still always strive for more seems to be what is missing.

That's a lot to unpack, but the reason those 20 year old somethings didn't have any cash when they opened there wallet is because credit cards that pay 2-5% cash back on purchases are better than using cash.

For as long as there has been TV there have been unrealistic portrayals of success compared to reality. So what is different about today's media compared to previous decades except that kids are raised softer today.

I do agree that children are coddled in the West now more than ever and as a result a prolonged childhood leads 20-30 year olds to still be living like children, that ultimately is a combination of their parents and their own fault though. When I was 13 years old I was making a couple hundred a weekend refereeing soccer games, but I still had a relatively easy going upbringing.

By comparison, my great grandfather started working in the coal mine when he was 11 because his dad died and he had to support the family until he turned 17 and joined the marines.

I think if we boil it all down, people need a purpose, like you said, and to see a bridge from where they are to where they want to go, but it also has to be a realistic outcome. Learning to be content with less, but still always strive for more seems to be what is missing.
Did I mention that they also have no credit and can't get a credit card?

Other than that, I agree with your last paragraph.

And likewise, my father went to work at the age of 13 when his dad died. He worked to support his widowed mother and 7 younger siblings.

They lived here...
A150A.jpg
And he worked here...
A183B-Inside Carter Iron Works-Paden City.jpg

Did I mention that they also have no credit and can't get a credit card?

Other than that, I agree with your last paragraph.

And likewise, my father went to work at the age of 13 when his dad died. He worked to support his widowed mother and 7 younger siblings.

They lived here...
View attachment 1093667
And he worked here...
View attachment 1093666

This here displayed (and very succinct) thought process is why I've always liked you, Zig! :s0155:

She added: 'If the police know or can find out whether one of their licensed firearms holders is indulging in these Youtube items, then they should confiscate the weapons – it's a clear indication of an unhealthy attitude to guns.'
Anyone who has an interest in journalism should not be allowed to write.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top