JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should the AR15 be the national gun of America?

• Yes

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
We have a flag, national bird, a mammal, and even a tree... (bonus points if you know what those are), the AR15 fits right in.... right?

GOP Rep. Barry Moore Wants AR-15 as 'National Gun of America'

"If Moore's proposal were to make it through both the GOP-controlled House and the Democratic-controlled Senate, the AR-15 would take its place beside some of the nation's most coveted symbols, such as the U.S. flag that was approved by Congress in 1777."

If this means it's protected from any national or state legislation, great. If it's just a symbolic measure, meh.
I'm with @Nosferatu, but voted "yes". I think it's nothing more than political posturing.... so, "mehhh", but if posturing helps to strengthen 2A rights... I'm plenty good with that.

If we're being honest though about a national gun of America, my vote would be a winchester lever. I mean... c'mon... 🤣

While it would be nice to recognize something for it's common use throughout our nation.

Like how most Americans living off cheeseburgers but say Apple Pie is our National food of choice, we like the idea but aren't willing to admit the first one is more valid.

We as a nation would end up picking the 10/22 as to not be too overly obvious that our real gun of choice is the AR15.

Also depending on how many boomers are still around after Covid, we'd likely end up with the Winchester 30-30 as the National rifle.

Meanwhile in Russia…

d9GcRPIkam3B5jqhDOYD2UWgiCCVMSZ6tq_5NSlLEzNJ6NKQ&s.jpg

Garand or Winchester 1886 get my vote over the delicate flower that is the AR15 😉

Heck, it should be the AUG if we are wanting a .22 cal as our national firearm!
The AUG isn't American so disqualified. Garand in service from 1936 to 1957. M16 been in service since 1964, civilian AR15 started in 1963 and since then. Winchester 1886 was produced from 1886 to 1935, over 160,000. I'd say the Winchester could maybe get 2nd place against AR15's millions. :p

Edit. The rifle that killed Native Americans, or the rifle that nearly every police department uses? :rolleyes:

Edit two. The Winchester 1894 probably would be better qualified as it's been produced from 1894 to 2006 and then 2011 to now.

The AUG isn't American so disqualified. Garand in service from 1936 to 1957. M16 been in service since 1964, civilian AR15 started in 1963 and since then. Winchester 1886 was produced from 1886 to 1935, over 160,000. I'd say the Winchester could maybe get 2nd place against AR15's millions. :p

Edit. The rifle that killed Native Americans, or the rifle that nearly every police department uses? :rolleyes:

Edit two. The Winchester 1894 probably would be better qualified as it's been produced from 1894 to 2006 and then 2011 to now.
I would have to disqualify the Garand, great rifle that it is, based on the fact that it's designer held dual citizenship and was Canadian first, not an American like Mr. Browning and Mr. Stoner.

Im for it but not certain it will make any difference politically. The bigger question is if the bill will pass.
That i doubt.

I like the idea of a "National Rifle" however....
I'd vote for the Flintlock Long Rifle...

Made famous during our War for Independence....as well as the War of 1812.
In both wars...it , and the men who used them , had a well earned reputation for accuracy.

The Flintlock Long Rifle was born in America...and could be seen as the rifle that made America.
Not to forget to mention that some guy named Alvin C. York..sure liked his.... :D
Andy

While the AR-15 isn't a bad option, I'd say that something more foundational makes more sense if you're going to pay homage to a gun. A flintlock is a solid choice as Andy pointed out, or perhaps a lever action rifle born during the growth of our nation into what it is today (like the 1892 or 1894). Given this is a consideration for a national gun, not just a rifle, I'd say the 1911 would also have a good claim to the title. If you're talking solely about volume of guns sold being a consideration, why not the 10/22? Like all things, there are a million options and opinions, but I think it would come down to three choices with the best odds:

- flintlock (don't know enough about them to say which would make the best choice of make/model; also makes the most sense in a historical context to me)
- AR-15

Regardless, even if passed, I'm not sure how much it would have an influence on anything except as a footnote in a gun control debate.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top