JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had to carry a full size gun for over 16 years. It's hard for me to get used to smaller guns. One thing I have changed is the emphasis on accuracy over capacity. I've owned some guns and carried duty guns that held lots of bullets, but were so-so accuracy wise.

The first gun I ever trained with was a Beretta 92 and I just didn't shoot it well. I was gifted a 1911 and realized maybe it wasn't me, because I shot it well. I was then issued a Glock 17 and I operated the gun a lot better and shot better with it than the 92. Same with the Glock 22. It took a long time for me to trust the M&P after a rocky start when I was first issued the gun. I still consider the first generation as marginal vs the 2.0.

The more shootings I studied, to include shootings involving coworkers, I saw that the vast majority were over before any magazine changes or other cool looking moves. Most were over in the first 4 rounds. So, I decided to carry what I could best hit with out to 50 yards. Even though most gunfights are up close, incidents where there were active shooters show that accurate fire from further can be real valuable and effective. Especially when bad guy is more focused on what's immediately around them.

So now, I mostly carry a 1911. I know I can hit an head-size target at 50 yards with it. I'd say the same with a Sig P226. I'd be fine with a G17/22 or M&P9/40/45 2.0 as well.

Israeli soldiers on the beach. I think they have it covered. Heck everybody over there carries something. It should be that way here.

51a7fc83f9e1d61b4d74d9e8f73ab395.jpg

Generally I carry a smaller capacity EDC but I have options. I have no delusions of being a ninja or a hero. The unmentioned part of EDC is common sense. Children are on the short list of who I'll stick my neck out for. I'll have 9-15 tries to go home. And if we don't share the same last name...

Every time I hear about another public shooting, it just makes me think.... I do inquire on how the shooting took place and see what the media is reporting....And gain perspective where I can. I think it makes sense to learn and adapt to these horrible situations to the best of my ability. My son is out in public with me multiple times per week. So I have to gauge that I don't want to be a target in an active shooter situation, especially if there are multiple shooters...But I also don't want to be shot in the back while running away or found in a closet helpless and defenseless. So to me there is a fine line here to walk. Maybe that's just the parent In me that believes in my ability to protect my family. While not feeling the need to be a " hero". My job is to make sure my family is safe first. An ar in the trunk and an overly confident attitude are definitely not going to help me while I am in the store grabbing food/supplies and out of no where someone starts to shoot the place up...

My 2 cents

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads