JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was at Winco checking out today and all of a sudden I realized that I had not once looked around to be aware of my surroundings. Scared me a little to realize that I didn't really know what to be looking for.
look for this guy

tenor00000.gif

I was sure I was going to get this response. You are correct, to an extent. The best EDC is the one that you will actually use/carry. I just find myself carrying a larger handgun with more capacity and capability as I normally lean towards comfort. Other than that, nothing changes.
Good idea to have a CAT on you too, or in your rig as part of IFAK. CAT is rather obvious on the belt, but an ankle carry hides it better so as to avoid the odd stares.

Good idea to have a CAT on you too, or in your rig as part of IFAK. CAT is rather obvious on the belt, but an ankle carry hides it better so as to avoid the odd stares.
I carry a CAT inside the waist band. I would just suggest prepping your CAT. In the picture it appears the Velcro strap is wrapped across the front. It is smart to pull it off and have it only attached to one side.

I drive a van :(
remove the mattress from the back and pop in a gunsafe....

no change on the EDC. BHP with spare mag and a Spyderco Para 2
If i see the shooter and have a shot then I like to think I'd take it, but I'm not clearing aisle to aisle in search of him. I'm heading exit-wards as quickly as possible
IDing the shooter- maybe he looks like i'd imagine, long gun, tac vest with spare mags, leather duster coat...maybe not....I don't buy the muzzle discipline theory, I've seen enough "good" guys at ranges or on public land displaying frightful gun handling/marksmanship. I'd also guess that in a store with narrow aisles or racks, I'll be using them as cover, and I won't be able to see what the shooter is aiming at, let alone judge his muzzle discipline. If I can go to a range and practise, I'd assume a bad guy might too. I'd also prefer to avoid getting dropped on sight by either the PoPo or another CCWer, so the last thing I'd do is go grab a vest and a long gun and return.
My EDC is based on unavoidable use, ie I'm close to where it kicks off, the shooter is heading to my place of concealment or I bump into him on my way to the outside and I have absolutely no other option or a really good opening with a high likelihood of killing ( "stopping"), the shooter before he can return fire with possibly a bigger, better, higher cap weapon.

Last Edited:
Nope no change for me.

As always....
Be aware of your surroundings...
Avoidance is important...
"Breaking Contact" , as we used to say in the army , can be your best option at times...
Accurate assessment of a situation is key....please note the word "accurate".....
Andy

Business as usual on my end.
The mass shootings the media gets a chub for are statistically very very rare. However, If I did more business in portland Id be more concerned about Antifa/BLM terrorists forcibly detaining and attacking people on the road.. that or the wacked out junkies spilling into the streets high as a cloud on whatever china lab drug is being shipped over here.. again.. more a Portland issue than most other places in Oregon so its not a huge concern. Luckily, I dont have to venture that way all too often.

Was there another active shooter while I was asleep last night?!?! Do I need to bring my plate carrier, NVGs, bump helmet, and range belt with me to work? Do I need an AR15 in my truck? Lol. I think this will suffice. Oh wait this is the same thing I was carrying last week. And the week before. Off to work I go.

8D4A316B-1F41-4487-8CFE-C91F31751AC7.jpeg

How come when there is a tragedy some folks all of a sudden start to analyze and reconsider their EDC? I mean, isn't the whole reason to carry daily to be prepared for something awful to happen? No, another shooting won't have any affect on my daily routine. I carry what I shoot VERY well and practice often.
I tend to agree with you.

I guess if I absolutely had to go to someplace like Portland I'd probably drop a half dozen PMAG and my MCX pistol into a duffle and toss that into the rig, probably take the minivan to be as innocuous as possible I suppose.

But that would be an extreme circumstance, and I can't imagine what would motivate me enough to go to that place now.

I tend to agree with you.

I guess if I absolutely had to go to someplace like Portland I'd probably drop a half dozen PMAG and my MCX pistol into a duffle and toss that into the rig, probably take the minivan to be as innocuous as possible I suppose.

But that would be an extreme circumstance, and I can't imagine what would motivate me enough to go to that place now.
I work in Portland 5 days a week. You don't need a bag full of pmags..... but if it makes you sleep better I guess.

I've had to carry a full size gun for over 16 years. It's hard for me to get used to smaller guns. One thing I have changed is the emphasis on accuracy over capacity. I've owned some guns and carried duty guns that held lots of bullets, but were so-so accuracy wise.

The first gun I ever trained with was a Beretta 92 and I just didn't shoot it well. I was gifted a 1911 and realized maybe it wasn't me, because I shot it well. I was then issued a Glock 17 and I operated the gun a lot better and shot better with it than the 92. Same with the Glock 22. It took a long time for me to trust the M&P after a rocky start when I was first issued the gun. I still consider the first generation as marginal vs the 2.0.

The more shootings I studied, to include shootings involving coworkers, I saw that the vast majority were over before any magazine changes or other cool looking moves. Most were over in the first 4 rounds. So, I decided to carry what I could best hit with out to 50 yards. Even though most gunfights are up close, incidents where there were active shooters show that accurate fire from further can be real valuable and effective. Especially when bad guy is more focused on what's immediately around them.

So now, I mostly carry a 1911. I know I can hit an head-size target at 50 yards with it. I'd say the same with a Sig P226. I'd be fine with a G17/22 or M&P9/40/45 2.0 as well.
Good post! Thanks for sharing!

Not trying to be an a$$. It's just that people talk like Portland is the Wild West. And if you dare roll through town you better be strapped to the max or you won't make it out alive. Portland is 100 percent a sh!t hole. I hate the city just as much as the next guy. To be safe all you gotta do is wear black and die your hair an eccentric color and be confused about what's going on with your genitalia lol. I'm not to concerned with violence coming from a person who can't decipher the difference between a penis or a vagina. And as far as the tweakers go you just gotta keep eyes on em'. Normally they are more concerned with talking/screaming at their imaginary friend and having dance parties half naked in the middle of the street. Life is good.

Portland isn't nearly as scary as some make it out to be. I've had several appointments there over the last month or so and I'll walk around in downtown by myself comfortably.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews