JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Food shortages" is a very complicated system with many facets including some which are global. Forget what the media says about crops or supply because those metrics are all fabricated numbers used to justify the implementation of Gov't rules and regulations. I'm not saying the numbers are "myths" but they are just values declared by some official entity which always fit the narrative of the Gov't making some statement regarding new changes because of those numbers. The numbers are always later revised or corrected so whatever method of calculation used is never truly accurate but yet treated as such. US wheat,corn, soybean production easily out paces global demand even on bad years. Our farming has advanced so much the Gov't pays to not plant anything in order to keep certain values in place. The idea of food becoming scare is not a result of failure to produce but a event caused by Gov't restriction on delivery and sale. The average person on the street is completely unaware that Gov't rules are constantly in play to create bottlenecks in the supply chain. Whether it is licensing, permits, inspections, or holds on goods.. all of these factors happen without the public being aware. All the public hears is ...oranges are short due to low crop yield, and frost damage. The reality is the Gov't can declare no trucks older than XX years can haul produce from this jurisdiction due to pollution rules, or there is a concern over blah blah fungus so everything from this region is banned from sale. The list goes on, these things actually happen and you can look them up.
The mass media doesn't share this so people only hear what they want you to hear. With current global crisis, fuel, transport problems...what is the next logical step to use on the population to force more restrictions and control.....food shortages. In America we literally toss an estimated 20-25% of food we buy. Food production has not fallen by this vale, not even close so where is the shortage? If we truly were facing life dependant food shortages would junk food manufacturers, fast food chains and one off specialty food outlets not be just closed or in the process of closing because we would need to redirect the limited resources to more important staples? None of this is happening, what is happening is the reporting doom and gloom and the sad warning of food price increases but worry not Starbuck, Ben & Jerry's, McDonalds are all still up and ready to give you overpriced crap.
A quick look back in time will see we have been threatened with fuel, food, wood, steel, minerals....etc shortages repeatedly over the years. Whenever a price change is required... a shortage appears. There were news articles of materials for cell phones running out over 10 years ago yet we make more of them now and they last a shorter time than ever before. This is just another form of control and making more people dependant through financial pressure. A true food shortage would lead to mass levels of death and illness that would wreak global economies and destabilize Gov'ts.
While none of us as individuals can make this go away we do not have to fall for the hype or lies told to us. Voting in single new political leaders is not going to change things either sadly. We can spend more wisely, by less crap food and choose better healthier options. We can try to put away a few things here or there to help with sudden market changes. But, unless you plan to live on rice and beans or have your own self sufficient farm, you are not likely to avoid the coming hikes and inconveniences meant to drain you of $$$ and pressure you to vote one way or another.
The greatest tool the powers that be have is people are lazy and will not choose to investigate or question what is happening to them.

"Food shortages" is a very complicated system with many facets including some which are global. Forget what the media says about crops or supply because those metrics are all fabricated numbers used to justify the implementation of Gov't rules and regulations. I'm not saying the numbers are "myths" but they are just values declared by some official entity which always fit the narrative of the Gov't making some statement regarding new changes because of those numbers. The numbers are always later revised or corrected so whatever method of calculation used is never truly accurate but yet treated as such. US wheat,corn, soybean production easily out paces global demand even on bad years. Our farming has advanced so much the Gov't pays to not plant anything in order to keep certain values in place. The idea of food becoming scare is not a result of failure to produce but a event caused by Gov't restriction on delivery and sale. The average person on the street is completely unaware that Gov't rules are constantly in play to create bottlenecks in the supply chain. Whether it is licensing, permits, inspections, or holds on goods.. all of these factors happen without the public being aware. All the public hears is ...oranges are short due to low crop yield, and frost damage. The reality is the Gov't can declare no trucks older than XX years can haul produce from this jurisdiction due to pollution rules, or there is a concern over blah blah fungus so everything from this region is banned from sale. The list goes on, these things actually happen and you can look them up.
The mass media doesn't share this so people only hear what they want you to hear. With current global crisis, fuel, transport problems...what is the next logical step to use on the population to force more restrictions and control.....food shortages. In America we literally toss an estimated 20-25% of food we buy. Food production has not fallen by this vale, not even close so where is the shortage? If we truly were facing life dependant food shortages would junk food manufacturers, fast food chains and one off specialty food outlets not be just closed or in the process of closing because we would need to redirect the limited resources to more important staples? None of this is happening, what is happening is the reporting doom and gloom and the sad warning of food price increases but worry not Starbuck, Ben & Jerry's, McDonalds are all still up and ready to give you overpriced crap.
A quick look back in time will see we have been threatened with fuel, food, wood, steel, minerals....etc shortages repeatedly over the years. Whenever a price change is required... a shortage appears. There were news articles of materials for cell phones running out over 10 years ago yet we make more of them now and they last a shorter time than ever before. This is just another form of control and making more people dependant through financial pressure. A true food shortage would lead to mass levels of death and illness that would wreak global economies and destabilize Gov'ts.
While none of us as individuals can make this go away we do not have to fall for the hype or lies told to us. Voting in single new political leaders is not going to change things either sadly. We can spend more wisely, by less crap food and choose better healthier options. We can try to put away a few things here or there to help with sudden market changes. But, unless you plan to live on rice and beans or have your own self sufficient farm, you are not likely to avoid the coming hikes and inconveniences meant to drain you of $$$ and pressure you to vote one way or another.
The greatest tool the powers that be have is people are lazy and will not choose to investigate or question what is happening to them.
I don't think it matters whether you and I trust the numbers or whether there is an actual shortage or not. Commodity traders are influenced by the numbers and they will be responsible for where prices go. As for the consumer, if they perceive that there are or may be shortages, they will begin stocking up. If farmers & food suppliers can't meet the demand of people stocking up, that will exacerbate perceived shortages. I have already seen less selection and higher prices on store shelves. If people begin stocking up in mass it will get worse.

I was just wondering if anyone has any concerns about a food shortage? I know with a of the flooding in the Midwest that a lot of farmers gave up on planting this year.

Illinois farmers give up on planting after floods, throw party instead

I am not sure how dependent we are on corn or other crops for from the Midwest but would expect higher prices since millions of acres of corn were not planted. I am thinking about stocking up on some canned goods and other items now.

I am not sure if MSM has posted anything yet either but I expect food prices to rise in the future.
I'm not an alarmist, but I can no longer hunt or fish much, so as an old Scoutmaster, I just want to be prepared.

I see where they are culling large chicken flocks due to some kind chicken virus. (Chicken Covid 1.0, or can Chickens have pox?) Seriously, it is a real issue where one place wiped out over 100,000 birds from what I saw. Beef prices have also skyrocketed.

I am vacuum sealing dry goods and putting it all away up at my sister's place on the old family property.

I have been stocking up on canned food and meats of all varieties. Believe it or not I have not been able to get whole kernel corn, mushrooms, and mushroom soup in case lots from my local Safeway. And my son has worked for Safeway over 25 years.

Worst case scenario is I'll be eating canned meat for a few years, lol.

Any catch the latest not talked about news? 21 US Food processing plants in last 9 months have be "disabled". Two facilities were hit ..planes (WTAF??) Nineteen others have had unexplained fires shutting them down. How is this not making the news?

Any catch the latest not talked about news? 21 US Food processing plants in last 9 months have be "disabled". Two facilities were hit ..planes (WTAF??) Nineteen others have had unexplained fires shutting them down. How is this not making the news?
So he rumor mill has progressed to 21 plants and two hit by airplanes?

Define "disabled"

Source for this rumor?

Ok, here is a list of fires/etc. in Canada and the US:

Two planes, one in ID and one in Georgia

A blog opinion on the rumors:

Speaking of potatoes, Brandon was in PDX a few days ago.
1650828394163.png

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top