JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tonight I had a few minutes to pull the retainer nut off the bearing housing. The axle stub spins freely but wobbles like it's only a few inches long. I looked at the other end in the differential. The differential gears spin when I turn the opposite wheel and don't appear to have any cracks etc. so I think everything's ok on that end. I have to make an adapter for my slide hammer puller to fit the end of the axle so I can pull it and presumably the bearing. Then I should be able to see what's really wrong. Hopefully the spline on the other end isn't viciously wedged in the differential side gear. May be a couple of days before I get back at this as I have actual work to do:(

Made my slide hammer adapter tonight. Whomped the stuffings out of the axle stub and voila! out it came. The outer race of the tapered roller bearing broke and twisted a bit but finally came out.

20180623_205606.jpg

The end in the side gear spline of the differential moved with just a light thump on a punch reaching through/around the forklift mast and there was much rejoicing. I had nightmares of having to dismantle the entire other side so I could reach through and drive it out but it wasn't at all jammed in the spline. I'm pretty sure it's broken ;)

20180623_212155.jpg
From the looks of the break, this was a long time coming. There's evidence of a fatigue crack that was over half way across the axle before it finally popped. With a crack like that, it was just a matter of time before it let go.

20180623_212313.jpg

Now to decide a course of action. A bit of googling indicates there are outfits who will make custom axles though it appears they're mainly geared to the race car crowd rather than industrial. If I can find some that look promising, I'll make a drawing and ask for a quote. Failing that, looks like I'll end up making one in my "spare time". Welding doesn't look like a good option all things considered. At least it's out and there are no more mysteries. Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement.

@Ownerus a trip to GK Machine in Donald, Oregon may get you what you need. They made some splined shafts for us for our racecar and I doubt your axle would be much of a problem for them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top