JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tonight I had a few minutes to pull the retainer nut off the bearing housing. The axle stub spins freely but wobbles like it's only a few inches long. I looked at the other end in the differential. The differential gears spin when I turn the opposite wheel and don't appear to have any cracks etc. so I think everything's ok on that end. I have to make an adapter for my slide hammer puller to fit the end of the axle so I can pull it and presumably the bearing. Then I should be able to see what's really wrong. Hopefully the spline on the other end isn't viciously wedged in the differential side gear. May be a couple of days before I get back at this as I have actual work to do:(

Made my slide hammer adapter tonight. Whomped the stuffings out of the axle stub and voila! out it came. The outer race of the tapered roller bearing broke and twisted a bit but finally came out.

20180623_205606.jpg

The end in the side gear spline of the differential moved with just a light thump on a punch reaching through/around the forklift mast and there was much rejoicing. I had nightmares of having to dismantle the entire other side so I could reach through and drive it out but it wasn't at all jammed in the spline. I'm pretty sure it's broken ;)

20180623_212155.jpg
From the looks of the break, this was a long time coming. There's evidence of a fatigue crack that was over half way across the axle before it finally popped. With a crack like that, it was just a matter of time before it let go.

20180623_212313.jpg

Now to decide a course of action. A bit of googling indicates there are outfits who will make custom axles though it appears they're mainly geared to the race car crowd rather than industrial. If I can find some that look promising, I'll make a drawing and ask for a quote. Failing that, looks like I'll end up making one in my "spare time". Welding doesn't look like a good option all things considered. At least it's out and there are no more mysteries. Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement.

@Ownerus a trip to GK Machine in Donald, Oregon may get you what you need. They made some splined shafts for us for our racecar and I doubt your axle would be much of a problem for them.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top