JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Please help me identify this cherry tree, here are some very unprofessional pictures...

The full tree:

ct1.jpg

A close-up of the blossoms:

ct2.jpg

And the leaves:

ct5.jpg

A couple of the bark:

ct3.jpg

ct4.jpg

End of the blossoms and the beginning of the fruit:

ct6.jpg

A couple of starts I'm hoping take off:

CT7.jpg

ETA: ^^^I took these from shoots off the roots, no clue if that is how you're suppose to do it.

Last Edited:
I'm no expert, but it appears to be your run of the mill wild cherry. I went batbubblegum crazy a few years ago trying to ID a couple cherry trees, there's such a huge rabbit hole on the web about them!

I do believe the offshoots need to be grafted to a root stock to grow, but again, not an expert.

I want to say it's a pie cherry. Only because of the size of the tree. Growing up there were two cherry trees on Grandma's and our property between the houses, an old orchard, and the sweet cherry was a huge tree, pie cherry looked like the picture. Quite small. I would think that your starts would produce cherries even if it's a grafted tree. They may not be the quality they should be though.

You're like me with trees. My thing is finding small maple trees, digging them up, and growing them in pots. I've got a couple that I've grown from little 4"ers to 7' tall.
I've been starting "Prickly Ash" from seed. People don't realize that Prickly Ash is where schezwan pepper comes from. It's the dried red coating on the seed of prickly ash.
1684078844186.png

You may be able to forward your photos to a state agricultural / horticulture department for assistance in identification or a local group of master gardeners.
They would probably enjoy the process of identifying them.

Thank you all that answered here and via PM. I grew up with the vegetable gardening experience but the trees were long established before I got there...fed the boys in WWII, in fact...now its bubbleguming wine country. I've passed on the green thumb Grandpa and Mom gave me best I could to my kids, this is my next step in that continuance.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top