JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Humm......this got me thinking about reliability and about the 22LR ammo prices.

So say it this way. Speaking of ME. How cheap I am, and how (most of the time) 25 yards is good enough and accuracy only has to be "minuet of can".

BTW.....I usually/generally buy American Made and 40 grn lead bullets, for my 22LR. It would be a rare occasion for me to buy, one box at a time and I don't normally like the .36-38 grn, HP or plated bullets.

Whatever......
It's good to have a "choice".

So anyway, take a look at most any web sight and compare some prices. Example : Sportsman's Warehouse web sight today.

CCI Mini Mags = $0.13 a round
CCI Blazer = $0.10 a round
CCI Std Velocity = $0.10 a round
Fed Auto Match = $0.09 a round
Rem Golden Bullet 525 bulk = $0.08 a round
Rem Thunderbolt 500 bulk = $0.09 a round
Winchester M22 = $0.09 a round
Winchester 525 Bulk = 0.09 a round

Of course.....prices will vary from seller to seller, some ammo might come with free shipping (by the case) and promotion/sales are to be considered too. So then.....like I said....."I'm cheap".

Why should I/would I buy CCI mini mags for a "Plinking 22LR Pistol" if they were the ONLY rounds that work (maybe sometimes) out of my pistol?

Yeah.....to each his own. Besides.....some people......don't like my choice of Remington 22LR for my Walther P22. They say it's "dirty".

Whatever.....
BUT, it works.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Quite a few 22 semi autos that shoot well and are reliable out there. If u are using subsonics then the list narrows though Imo.

I Was looking at the Walther 1911 22 but reviews show that heavy slide won't let it cycle subs reliably.

Browning buckmark and ruger target pistols are reliable with most any ammo (excluding the real low power subs like cci quiet 710 fps, Aquila crap colibri, etc) from my experience. I understand that older generations of these also such as browning medalist (same as European fn 150) are also reliable but I've not shot them. Likewise high standard (various older pistols) and colt woodsman. I have no idea if they cycle subs reliably but I assume so based on the light slide design (like buck mark). Likewise S&W 41.

Walther p22Q (Q is the newer version with updated recoil spring) is reliable but not an accurate pistol compared to target pistols. P22 (old version) can be made more reliable with newer "q" spring upgrade as I understand it.

I have not shot but understand that Taurus tx22 variants are reliable. Reno recently did a good review on it in this forum.

I've had numerous 22s in the past that are unreliable which I won't bother listing here.

Currently my holy grail is a threaded, accurate, 22 that functions with subs at 100% reliability (assuming u are using good ammo of course).

The buckmark so far is pretty close to that. I was surprised that the buckmark functions reliably with quiet-22 semi auto (not 710 fps quiet-22) ammo. It's 835 fps as I recall. I was really surprised recently when it even cycled with the craptastic cci quiet 710 fps ammo after treating 3 times with boron-nitride ceramic dry lube. However that cci quiet 710 fps is so dirty it's not worth using imo as everything is dirty so fast it won't cycle anymore until cleaned. Plus it has wildly inconsistent velocity at best.

In the buckmark cci standard velocity is 100% reliable and is quite accurate for bulk ammo. Using cci quiet 22 semi auto (835 fps) drops the decibels quite a bit but adds 1" to the group size at 15 yards due to inconsistency.

I used my mil spec db meter and mil spec protocols and opening a pop can is 110 db. Shooting cci quiet 22 semi auto 835 fps is 109 db (gun with suppressor) including sound of the gun cycling. Anything lower than 835 fps (45 grain) is extremely sketchy Imo in terms of reliability and shot consistency and most of those are quite dirty. American eagle suppressor and cci quiet suppressor (both 45 grain 950 fps as I recall) all cycle excellent and hit strong and are comparable to cci standard velocity in sound level.

Last Edited:
My Ruger MkII and MKIII 22/45 usually run fine. My Marvel 1911 upper usually runs fine.

My M&P Compact nearly always runs fine.

I find the acid test is taking the .22 pistols to a steel match. That is where you will hear something like, "I don't understand. This gun has always run 100% for me before…"

22 handguns that work every time… and very very accurate:
Ruger Mk/2245
Buckmark
SW 41, 617, 63
Beretta 87
Tippman Micro Elite

When shooting suppressed its very important to use plated bullets and keep the lead cleaned out of the chamber… the SW41 has match dimensions and won't tolerate buildup.

I have not tried the Sig P322 but I know the mosquito is a POS, as are many of their conversion units. Likewise have not tried the Glock 44 due to its construction and capacity for KBs. The PPQ 22 may be a nice unit but haven't tried it.

I have owned and sold the SW Victory; it never failed but was too heavy and duplicative to my other pistols. The MP22 pistol has reliable enough but I couldn't stand the mushy trigger or accuracy… same problem with Walther p22 and Ruger SR22. And friends don't let friends buy Taurus or Keltec.

Walther p22Q (Q is the newer version with updated recoil spring) is reliable but not an accurate pistol compared to target pistols. P22 can be made more reliable with newer "q" spring upgrade as I understand it.
I can remember awhile back. I actually contacted Walther USA about a recoil spring "upgrade" for my (1st Gen) P22. At that time, the lady said that the new captured spring wouldn't work in my gun.

Oh well.

Then, awhile after that......I heard that there was an aftermarket alternative captured recoil spring for my pistol.

Nope.....I guess I'll just wait until my old spring gives up the ghost. Besides....it would give me an excuse to play with my S&W.

Aloha, Mark

PS....OK, Ok, ok.....the web sight said FREE SHIPPING for the Labor Day weekend. Yeah....I couldn't resist. So, I ordered one.

Last Edited:
Every time I take it to the range, so monthly or more often when the weather is decent in Oregon. During the winter it sits in a nice dry gun safe but I oil and lube it well for winter storage. From purchase it always was very particular with ammo, Sig told me by email to only shoot CCI mini mags and it would recoil enough to fire without issues. After my last adventure yesterday, I think I need to sell or give it away and get a more reliable .22 pistol.
I have heard the Ruger Mark series are solid, I appreciate the feedback Nutty4Guns. Sig now makes it's own .22 pistol, not a third party manufacturer.
Beretta makes a 92FS-22, I just got it and haven't shot it yet.

22 handguns that work every time… and very very accurate:
Ruger Mk/2245
Buckmark
SW 41, 617, 63
Beretta 87
Tippman Micro Elite

When shooting suppressed its very important to use plated bullets and keep the lead cleaned out of the chamber… the SW41 has match dimensions and won't tolerate buildup.

I have not tried the Sig P322 but I know the mosquito is a POS, as are many of their conversion units. Likewise have not tried the Glock 44 due to its construction and capacity for KBs. The PPQ 22 may be a nice unit but haven't tried it.

I have owned and sold the SW Victory; it never failed but was too heavy and duplicative to my other pistols. The MP22 pistol has reliable enough but I couldn't stand the mushy trigger or accuracy… same problem with Walther p22 and Ruger SR22. And friends don't let friends buy Taurus or Keltec.
Re ppq 22 my research showed that accuracy is comparable to the p22 (p22q is the newest version). Both showed accuracy issues. Just what I found fwiw and I have not shot the ppq but I own the p22q and it is nowhere near as accurate as target pistols.

I'll throw in my 2c worth, and agree about both the Ruger and the TX22. I have an old Ruger Standard (often mistakenly called a MK1) that I bought at a garage sale back in the '80s when I was a teenager, cost me something like $100. I've shot untold thousands of rounds through it, and it's as solid as ever. The only time it has trouble is when it's really dirty, or with really bad bulk ammo.

I bought a Taurus TX22 a couple years ago for my son. It started out bad, as some of the early ones came with bad barrels. It was a known issue and they sent me another barrel under warranty. Since then it's been great. My kids love shooting it, even more than the old Ruger. I hesitate to call anything "better" than my beloved old Ruger, but it is lighter, arguably more ergonomic, and holds more rounds. It's very reliable too.

Even good manufacturers put out lemons sometimes. I bought another vintage Ruger Standard several years ago at a gun show. It was surprisingly cheap, and I knew why. It was from an estate; someone had oiled it with WD40 or the like long ago, and it had dried into a sticky varnish. I spent an afternoon detail cleaning it, then a week or so figuring out why it still jammed so badly. Long story short, it turned out that there was a tolerance stacking issue with the bolt face. I swapped the bolt with my old Standard, and they both worked like a million dollars, swapped back and the new gun jammed. I carefully opened up the bolt face on one side by a few thousandths, and it works great. It was a factory defect from 50 years ago.

BTW- BiMart has stacks of CCI Mini-Mags for $10/100. All in all, not bad nowadays.

All of you rule, the information you have given me is really focusing my search for a "modern" .22 pistol to replace this junker. Taurus = Reliable...that is very, very hard to believe but I see it typed many times. Will have to shoot a TX22 to decide.
This particular Sig is made by GSG and is not really a Sig Sauer. I will not blame Sig for the shoddy reliability of this model, but I will blame them for putting their name on a lemon and really "selling" me on it back when I bought the P226 Blackwater. My issues seem to be very common issues, I have never dry fired any of my .22s, Military Dad yelled at me, "Rimfire guns get damaged if you dry fire them, use the decocking lever damnit!" I use the decocking level always.
I watched the review video for the P322, price will determine my purchase of another Sig .22. Taurus are cheap so I might pick one up. I love Ruger, my SP101 is a true love of mine, so a MK will be in my future for sure. Great discussion, the ratings from real people.
Took a picture of my Sigs to prove I am a paying customer, the Mosquito really doesn't belong with the other two.

Last Edited:
I did research that one and love the looks of the stainless 6" barrel version but in the end was not confident enough with sub reliability (just cuz I haven't shot it mainly and also cuz there is not enough info that I could find on it) and also I can only buy as a used gun. I have had extremely bad luck buying used 22 pistols in the very distant past so am leary of buying another used one. If I could buy one new I probably would have bought that though just cuz I love the looks and design especially wood grip ones.

This one with red dot was same cost as a good condition used 422/622 and I just trust new more based on past experience.
5C562778-CFCC-4F80-A4DC-4C19CAB8DC5E.jpeg

Last Edited:
Surprisingly, my Kel-Tec P17 hasn't had a single problem in the few thousands of rounds I've fired through it, and I never even cleaned the factory grease off of it. Since I got it for $170 out the door when they first came out, I expected it to be plagued with problems and be somewhat disposable, but my experience has been the complete opposite and it's the most reliable .22 pistol I've personally ever shot.

27%2F5f98690626e13bc2a3bf68d23390daded1d638396c39e.jpg

It looks better than it is, I bought it on looks and the Sig representative selling it to me also. It's aluminum and it feels cheap. The trigger is gritty, super long pull and the reset is awful. The P226 sitting under it has a Short Reset Trigger from Sig, it is amazing and ruins most other semi auto guns for me. I expected more from Sig, sadly I did not get what I paid for.
Once I get a replacement before November, with the liberal screw job coming in Oregon. That is if Sig Sauer doesn't do anything for me with it. If they want it, it is theirs to RMA gladly.
I guess you can't love all your guns like my Colts and Rugers. I do want to look up a Colt Woodsman second or third series as advised, I'm a huge Colt Fan boy.

BestColtsSP101.JPG

Last Edited:
It looks better than it is, I bought it on looks and the Sig representative selling it to me also. It's aluminum and it feels cheap. The trigger is gritty, super long pull and the reset is awful. The P226 sitting under it has a Short Reset Trigger from Sig, it is amazing and ruins most other semi auto guns for me. I expected more from Sig, sadly I did not get what I paid for. I'd sell you this one for a very fair price, you would need to rebuild it.
Once I get a replacement before November, with the liberal screw job coming in Oregon. That is if Sig Sauer doesn't do anything for me with it. If they want it, it is theirs to RMA gladly.
I guess you can't love all your guns like my Colts and Rugers. I do want to look up a Colt Woodsman second or third series as advised, I'm a huge Colt Fan boy.

View attachment 1271500
Fwiw there was a colt woodsman match for sale in the classified here a few weeks? ago. Price was high though.

I have a Sig Sauer .22 Mosquito. Damn thing jams more than it shoots, use only quality CCI mini mag ammo as recommended by Sig, but it is a jam machine. Had a stovepipe jam at the range and the round discharged when trying to unjam it. I treat all guns as death bringers, so it was aimed safe down range and the round went into soil, but it still scared and stunned me at what a low quality hand gun this is. I know the Mosquito is not really a Sig, but does anyone know of a .22 pistol that doesn't jam and actually will shoot more than just certain high quality .22 ammo? I have two .22 rifles, a Sig 522 and a Ruger 10/22 and they eat any ammo I feed them, never jam, never misfire.
I echo the opinions regarding the Ruger MK series, mine is a MK 3 22/45 and it is pretty reliable with high velocity ammo, but it does occasionally struggle with hollow points. I believe the feed ramp is a little short, but I don't want to send it back to Ruger, since it has a couple Tandemkross and Volquartsen parts in it. My S&W M&P 22 Compact is even more reliable than the Ruger, with everything except Norma TAC-22 and Winchester ammo. (I quit buying current manufactured Winchester rimfire ammo, IMO it is garbage.)
Of course, the vintage Colts are reliable, but almost too valuable to shoot. 😞

C616A9C4-5636-4B6E-956C-6A8A9826AFFC.jpeg

Taurus = Reliable...that is very, very hard to believe but I see it typed many times. Will have to shoot a TX22 to decide.
I know what you mean. Taurus has a very "hit and miss" reputation; they've really put out some junk over the years. They've done well on the TX22 though. The one we have has been great.

For current production guns you cannot go wrong with Ruger MK anything. Add to that a Browning Buckmark or S&W Victory. If you like the classics, and don't mind paying up, there are any number of excellent choices. S&W 422 comes to mind. I have two old Berettas that I'd rather take a beating than get rid of. Model 71, Model 76. Everything I listed will eat anyt you stuff in 'em.
Just remember, reliability comes at a price.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top