JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In a vehicle without a trunk or compartment separate from the passenger compartment?

This is an issue for all of my vehicles; my daily driver, a BMW X1 crossover SUV, my Toyota ext cab pickup and my Dodge 3500 regular cab flatbed. None of these have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment.

I just got a Mossberg Shockwave and I want to carry it unloaded in my daily driver, and occasionally my pickups. I want it to be concealed most of the time because I don't need it immediately accessible, but I want it in the vehicle JIC.

In my X1:

29wjvc4.jpg

there is a cargo area behind seat:

2m6qu6u.jpg

Underneath the floor of the cargo area is another 'hidden' subfloor area:

2wcodc0.jpg

It is roughly a little over 2 feet square and not very deep. It will hold a narrow long gun like the Shockwave or a few other short long guns (like a take down).

So I am wanting to put a long gun in that area as a backup to a handgun.

In my ext cab Toyota I am thinking of replacing the back seat with a flat (ish) or larger storage box behind the front seats and keeping a long gun there, and maybe having a rack or something up front on the transmission tunnel.

In the Dodge, probably a locking rack behind the seat - there might be just enough area there, and again, maybe a rack on the transmission tunnel.

The racks on the transmission tunnel would be for when I want a short long gun handy and I am not parking the rig but driving it and/or it is parked where I am working my land.

The law in Oregon (ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes) speaks of concealed handguns without a CHL (I don't have one, I need to get off my posterior and apply for one), but what about unloaded long guns? My understanding is that if it is an unloaded long gun (i.e., not a handgun), concealed or not is NOT an illegal act, even if it is accessible by a passenger or driver. Open carry is fine too.

ORS 166.173 - Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes
Gun laws in Oregon - Wikipedia

What about Multnomah or other anti-gun counties/cities?

Unloaded is fine without concealed handgun license, with license it may be loaded, but what about concealed in the vehicle? No?

I think I understand the Orygun law, but a few scenarios I am not clear on (concealed in a vehicle loaded long gun, and what is 'loaded'? Mag loaded but not in firearm?) and I am trying to not get into trouble and make sure I understand the law.

WA state? Calif?

Yes, I understand the Shockwave is not legal in Calif., but would it be legal if I put an 18" barrel on it? What if I brought along the 14" barrel - is there precedent for 'constructive possession' type violations in Calif or just plain possession of a short barrel? What about FOPA with the Shockwave?

My usual understanding of these laws is that is has to be inaccesible to the driver. So a rear storage area should be OK.

CA craps out so many laws I stopped paying attention even when I lived there....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top