JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In a vehicle without a trunk or compartment separate from the passenger compartment?

This is an issue for all of my vehicles; my daily driver, a BMW X1 crossover SUV, my Toyota ext cab pickup and my Dodge 3500 regular cab flatbed. None of these have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment.

I just got a Mossberg Shockwave and I want to carry it unloaded in my daily driver, and occasionally my pickups. I want it to be concealed most of the time because I don't need it immediately accessible, but I want it in the vehicle JIC.

In my X1:

29wjvc4.jpg

there is a cargo area behind seat:

2m6qu6u.jpg

Underneath the floor of the cargo area is another 'hidden' subfloor area:

2wcodc0.jpg

It is roughly a little over 2 feet square and not very deep. It will hold a narrow long gun like the Shockwave or a few other short long guns (like a take down).

So I am wanting to put a long gun in that area as a backup to a handgun.

In my ext cab Toyota I am thinking of replacing the back seat with a flat (ish) or larger storage box behind the front seats and keeping a long gun there, and maybe having a rack or something up front on the transmission tunnel.

In the Dodge, probably a locking rack behind the seat - there might be just enough area there, and again, maybe a rack on the transmission tunnel.

The racks on the transmission tunnel would be for when I want a short long gun handy and I am not parking the rig but driving it and/or it is parked where I am working my land.

The law in Oregon (ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes) speaks of concealed handguns without a CHL (I don't have one, I need to get off my posterior and apply for one), but what about unloaded long guns? My understanding is that if it is an unloaded long gun (i.e., not a handgun), concealed or not is NOT an illegal act, even if it is accessible by a passenger or driver. Open carry is fine too.

ORS 166.173 - Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes
Gun laws in Oregon - Wikipedia

What about Multnomah or other anti-gun counties/cities?

Unloaded is fine without concealed handgun license, with license it may be loaded, but what about concealed in the vehicle? No?

I think I understand the Orygun law, but a few scenarios I am not clear on (concealed in a vehicle loaded long gun, and what is 'loaded'? Mag loaded but not in firearm?) and I am trying to not get into trouble and make sure I understand the law.

WA state? Calif?

Yes, I understand the Shockwave is not legal in Calif., but would it be legal if I put an 18" barrel on it? What if I brought along the 14" barrel - is there precedent for 'constructive possession' type violations in Calif or just plain possession of a short barrel? What about FOPA with the Shockwave?

My usual understanding of these laws is that is has to be inaccesible to the driver. So a rear storage area should be OK.

CA craps out so many laws I stopped paying attention even when I lived there....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top